The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 60mm f5.6 Apo Digitar

tjv

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there using the (relatively new) Schneider 60mm f5.6 Apo Digitar lens on film and / or with a digital back? What's it like with movements on film and is the image circle restrictive for moderate rise / fall? On digital, is it up to snuff with 60mp? And with rise / fall movements?

I've recently bought a Linhof Techno – although not received it yet – and originally ordered a Rodenstock 55mm f4,5 Apo-Grandagon because it has a far larger image circle that would be ideal for 6x7cm film, although less than ideal for 40mp+ digital. Due to a delay in Rodenstock delivery to the dealer, I have the option on the 60mm Schneider (for more money) for a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Dig. 4.5/55mm. Does anyone have opinions on any of these lenses on film and digital? I don't need MASSIVE movements, just moderate. I guess I'd prefer to buy once and not have to worry about upgrading my glass when I do finally go to a fully digital workflow.

I guess it'd be informative to say that I'm used to Mamiya 7 lenses, which I always found near on perfect. I shoot mainly at f11 and (obviously with the Techno) on a tripod. Do the cheaper Rodenstock 55mm lenses stack up to the Mamiya 7 50mm?

Thanks for your help!

TJV

Paul2660

Definitely an excellent lens on a digital back, I have never used one on film.

With a 60mp back, you can expect 30mm of shift without total loss of color/saturation. This is only lens I have used that really allows you to shift past 20mm on a 60mp back. The clarity, contrast and color are excellent also. I recently went ahead and added the new CF to this lens and I don't regret it.

I don't often use rise/fall, but shift. With the rm3di, on an L bracket you can make your standard rise/fall, shift. So with lens on I regularly shift 30mm and 20mm with really no problems.

Also light weight and compact to carry in the back.

Paul

tjv

Thanks, guys.
Is this lens sometimes given the XL designation, but not always?
The lens that I'm receiving has a 120mm image circle and is described by the dealer as a Schneider 60mm f5.6 Apo Digitar.
Thanks!
TJV

gazwas

Thanks, guys.
Is this lens sometimes given the XL designation, but not always?
The lens that I'm receiving has a 120mm image circle and is described by the dealer as a Schneider 60mm f5.6 Apo Digitar.
Thanks!
TJV
Not sure about the XL designation but that's the latest version as the old 60mm Apo-Digitar was an f4.0.

tjv

Thanks, Gareth. This lens seems a brilliant performer. I'm sure it will be brilliant on film, also. I'm just hoping it offers enough IC for movements I like to perform. I guess I'll soon find out...

vjbelle

The Schneider 60mm f5.6 Apo Digitar XL is a stellar lens...... sharp, sharp, sharp. I have no issues with shifting 15mm and even then my edges are very sharp. An unbelievable lens.

gazwas

I'm just hoping it offers enough IC for movements I like to perform. I guess I'll soon find out...
As the larest generation of digital lenses go, the SK60 has the biggest IC currently available. I can think of other lenses that match it's 120mm size but none that better it.

So, if it doesn't give you enough movements you're stuck sorry.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just got this lens, to give an idea of the image circle, it covers almost the same FoV as the 35XL! With shifts, I can just cover a "21mm" FoV (that's in FF terms, as in Zeiss 21/2.8 .. that kind of FoV) with the 60, I can get "25mm"

Unfortunately, it requires a very sturdy tripod, and it has no magic powers of improving my compositions. ..damn... :banghead:

--Matt

tjv

The Schneider 60mm f5.6 Apo Digitar XL is a stellar lens...... sharp, sharp, sharp. I have no issues with shifting 15mm and even then my edges are very sharp. An unbelievable lens.
Thanks, Vjbelle. Are you shooting film or digital? If the lens has a 120mm IC and the diagonal of 6x7cm film is 91mm, that means I *should* be able to shift / rise 14.5mm. I'm guessing the IC is specs as relating to f11.

My problem is that because I've only shot 4x5", and never with a camera with a mm scale to tell me how much rise I'm using, I'm not sure how this measurement translates on 6x7cm film. As I say, I can't afford the digital back just now. That will come in the next year or so, hopefully.

It does indeed seem like the 60mm lens is a total no brainer though.

tjv

Thanks, Guy. I'm getting the feeling that I can't go wrong with this lens. Well, my bank account can, but that's another story!

tjv

Also, am I right in thinking the 60mm is NOT a retrofocus lens? Does it even matter at this focal length when using GG to focus?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks, Guy. I'm getting the feeling that I can't go wrong with this lens. Well, my bank account can, but that's another story!
You really can't go wrong with it, it's that good. Now it may affect your lineup though since its kind of a odd lineup in a 4 lens kit sort of. Lots of tech shooter go like 40,70,120 maybe a 23 or 28 also . Which is a nice kit 28,40,70,120. This lens is nice as a three lens kit like 32or 35, 60 and maybe 90 or 120. Myself I went 28, 60 and , 120 since you can sitch like crazy with it you can get effective 32 or 40 effectively as we'll. so given the 120IC it opens up some focal lengths too. Like any system we like to gap our lenses in our lineup this lens can be used to be pretty versatile in focal length. I used it in a Cambo TS mount which was really nice. Nice thing also I liked the look of the glass.

tjv

Thanks again, Guy. Sounds like a winner.
I'm a simple guy, really. In 4x5" I only shoot 2 lenses – 90mm and 150mm. For 6x7 I've ordered a 90mm HR W and originally the 55mm. There is a rather long delay in delivery of the 55mm which got me thinking of the 60mm. As I'm migrating this kit slowly to digital, the 60mm seems a better long game option and close enough to a 4x5" 90mm equiv. on 6x7 to do the trick. I hope to get a P45+ or P65+ eventually and assemble a 35mm / 60mm / 90mm kit. I'm not into extreme wide or anything longer. I'm very much looking forward to receiving my new Techno in about a week.

Guy Mancuso

Yes the nice thing stitching this lens can give you wide when you need it . LCC correction with this lens is also a very weak correction and its really only illumination. I never had a color issue either with a LCC or not. That big IC really helps a lot as you rarely will come close to getting near the end of it. I never saw any issues going out to 15mm on my Cambo or rise and fall for that matter.

Guy Mancuso

It really is the ideal one lens kit although not wide enough for some folks why they go 40 or 43. I like the 32/35, 60, 90 or 120 setup. But I was hell bent on that 28mm and loved the look of it so gave up the 35. Just depends on needs here like anything else. This is also not a inexpensive lens either. Matt just got his and he will be using it in Zion next week. Dying to see how much he likes it, I kind of talked him into it. I'm so bad. LOL

dchew

Guy, why do you think I live in Cleveland not Arizona? Think I like it here?? No way; it's because I am far away from you. If we lived near each other I would be a broke(n) man.

Only thing worse would be Calgary, and I really like the mountains. I'd have to rob banks to half-keep up with Mr. Duffin.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Hey we are thinking Canadian rookies next fall. Yes I am a wanted man by many spouses. I am just big trouble. Lol