The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What if Photoshop doesn't exist?

gazwas

"What if Photoshop doesn't exist?"

......then we'd all be buying less as those shade are so scratched and marked! ;)

We'd then realise what "Designer" label actually meant..... cheap crap made in China/India/Vietnam dressed up in marketing babble being sold as bespoke, exclusive and high quality at an embarrassingly high markup.

Photoshop has a lot to answer for.... :p ;)

And before you ask, yes I am a product photographer.

Yes they are very scratched, they are from 1986 :/

"What if Photoshop doesn't exist?"

......then we'd all be buying less as those shade are so scratched and marked! ;)

We'd then realise what "Designer" label actually meant..... cheap crap made in China/India/Vietnam dressed up in marketing babble being sold as bespoke, exclusive and high quality at an embarrassingly high markup.

Photoshop has a lot to answer for.... :p ;)

And before you ask, yes I am a product photographer.

gazwas

shortpballer, I hope this doesn't sound out of line and rude because I like the concept behind your idea - "A world without Photoshop".

A series of photographs taken without the use of Photoshop should illustrate through the use of carful lighting how unnecessary this software is. However, the way you have chosen to light your image posted here (be it from 1986 or 2086) reinforces Photoshops very existence.

A great product shot but in this form desperately crying out for some Photoshop TLC.

shortpballer, I hope this doesn't sound out of line and rude because I like the concept behind your idea - "A world without Photoshop".

A series of photographs taken without the use of Photoshop should illustrate through the use of carful lighting how unnecessary this software is. However, the way you have chosen to light your image posted here (be it from 1986 or 2086) reinforces Photoshops very existence.

A great product shot but in this form desperately crying out for some Photoshop TLC.
I agree that the gold sunglasses photo needs a little bit of photoshop. However, it was calibrated for print rather than web. The printed version doesn't show the errors that we are seeing here. I cannot explain how many companies we have talked to that have appreciated our work and have expressed their disgust with over-photoshopped advertisements now a days. I have talked with many creators who have had huge problems with photographers over-editing their photos to the point where they no longer represent the real product.

Just my humble opinion/advice: There is no truth in photography (photoshop or not). Accept this fact and move on.
I agree with this.
Photography is basically forced information; pictures have a boundary, and you can never look at them from another perspective after the fact. Like it or not, you see what the photographer wants you to see... or perhaps what the photographer doesn't want you to see.

Even if you achieve a flawless result without Photoshop, will people still believe you that it's not Photoshop? I know that sounds funny, but it's truer than you think, I had gorgeous photos straight outta camera that I didn't even change WB and people commented on the nice post processing. Oh well.

If the end result is interesting, I don't care how it was achieved.

Giorgio

Not a very good scan but this was shot on one frame of film, and has no manipulation. Who needs photoshop?

This image was shot on a beach as part of an editorial spread for a small magazine in Toronto circa late 1980's. I had a location permit and everything...

Like my first mentor always said "Its the six inches behind the camera that makes the picture". Works for me.

BTW, cool idea Shortballer!

gazwas

Like my first mentor always said "Its the six inches behind the camera that makes the picture". Works for me.
Well that sounds very dismissive of the uber talented Photoshop artists who create wonderful images every single day. Not every Photoshop user uses those nasty over the top plugins for their work and it could be said without the retoucher some well know photographers work wouldn't be quite so special IMO.

Photoshop has a bad reputation for the celebrity magazine cover type of image but not all of us use it to elongate peoples legs, loose a few pounds or enlarge ladies boobies!

Giorgio

Well that sounds very dismissive of the uber talented Photoshop artists who create wonderful images every single day. Not every Photoshop user uses those nasty over the top plugins for their work and it could be said without the retoucher some well know photographers work wouldn't be quite so special IMO.

Photoshop has a bad reputation for the celebrity magazine cover type of image but not all of us use it to elongate peoples legs, loose a few pounds or enlarge ladies boobies!
All True Gareth, and I use those photoshop genius types every time I get published. Often siting right beside them as we collaborate on the final image. So yes the world has changed. But.

I still stand by my comment, you have to start somewhere.

Shashin

If photoshop did not exist, we would still have airbrush artists...

I find most photographers that complain about photoshop are the ones that cannot use it and use it well. Lighting and getting good exposures is hardly rocket science. And that really is the skill of the photographer; know the whole photographic process which includes the bit after the shutter is released.

Shashin

And is there a difference between distorting reality in post processing or by controlled lighting?

gazwas

I find most photographers that complain about photoshop are the ones that cannot use it and use it well.
The trick to using photoshop is knowing how to uses it well and more importantly knowing when to stop.

Just because something can be done with Photoshop doesn't automatically mean it should... ;)

As Giorgio's multiple exposure image above, back in the film days manipulation of the truth was similarly possible then (unless that lady was really on fire :p) so not sure why some photographers have issue's with Photoshop today?

Giorgio

The trick to using photoshop is knowing how to uses it well and more importantly knowing when to stop.

Just because something can be done with Photoshop doesn't automatically mean it should... ;)

As Giorgio's multiple exposure image above, back in the film days manipulation of the truth was similarly possible then (unless that lady was really on fire :p) so not sure why some photographers have issue's with Photoshop today?
Hi Gareth,

The model was not on fire, to be fair others have made that assumption.
You are seeing a single exposure, taken with a film camera on a single frame.

I photographed the model's reflection in a theatrical mirror that stood 12 feet tall and was propped up on the beach. There were about 12 people involved in this shoot and no one was expendable. This frame by the way is an out take.

As far as PS goes, as a photographer you need to master it as far as your ability will take you. At that point you need to collaborate with those that can take the edited image home.

PS is just one more member of the team, non expendable.