The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jumping to MF! Some dutties..

Professional

I recommend to go with H4D or H5D, forget H3D, i had H3DII-39 and the high ISO is really bad and no true focus, but when i got H4D-60, WOW, high ISO is remarkable even it is not that much great compared to 35mm digital but usable, also the true focus is making it much better shooting.

About lenses, if you have money i will advice you to go with some of those lenses: 28, 50, 100, 120, 150, 35-90. I only have 28, 80 and 120, i use 120macro for portraits and it is very razor sharp, but it is so heavy lens and so slow in focus even with true focus so that it is not recommended by many for portraits, i bought it for macro and close-up, if i have to choose only one lens for portraits that will be either 100 or 80, 35/50 are wide and 150-300 are so long.

Bruno

Thank You all!

How much costs in second hand market the HD4 ? Because I Don't know if I can afford at the moment!

Professional

Thank You all!

How much costs in second hand market the HD4 ? Because I Don't know if I can afford at the moment!
That depends on some factors:

1. Your budget
2. Which H4D? 31, 40,....60
3. What condition of second hand[used] H4D you found
4. The seller, some may sell his/her H4D-40 for say $15k and another one will sell for $12k
5. You want H4D with lens or without lens, some sell only body and some will sell it as kit [80mm]

Good luck with your purchase!!!

Bruno

Thanks Professional, quite amazing quality!!

What about the enviroment portraits and with natural Light?

I Don't want to spend more than 10.000 bucks!

bahr

Hi, I've never had the pleasure to use the Leica. I would love to but I've been prioritising equipment for work needs mainly and to me the Leica is a camera I would love to use for myself rather than assignments. Eventually I might grab one but for now I chose the h4d as I would use it for projects.

The Leica is like the great white buffalo of cameras. :)

I'm actually off to a shoot just now and will be using the hassy. Will try to post something up soon.

Professional

Thanks Professional, quite amazing quality!!

What about the enviroment portraits and with natural Light?

I Don't want to spend more than 10.000 bucks!
You can do that as well, if you know how to set your camera for environment or natural light you will be fine, I didn't shoot much outdoors, but i did shoot one person outdoor with one light combining it with natural light, if you want to see those i can send by email.

Here is few shot outdoor without any light, only the natural one

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/8639/rak0032.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/2426/rak0031.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/6624/rak0030.jpg

Big THANK to our friend Graham.

I didn't understand what do you mean by not spending more than 10.000 bucks, is that for the MF system you mean or for lighting?

Professional

Bahr We will waiting to see them!

For MF I mean Professional, thanks for the pictures!

I don't expect to do this job:

Joey Lawrence and the Mentawai | Phase One P40+ camera system - YouTube

With 645DF in Ethiopia | Joey Lawrence - YouTube

But really love it, the point is, I Know nothing about lighting.. Just the natural light.
First buy a MF system then later worry about the light, we all use different formats and able to do lights, so it will not be an atomic formulas to do the exposure right or spot on with any format, i bought my MF and i am just a hobbyist and not doing fashions or ads or commercial photography at all, i just shoot landscapes mostly and you know i deal with natural light always.

Bruno

That was what I wanted to heard!

Perfectly usefull with ambient light.

Practically decided, H3D II 39 with 80HC and in a year , when I will be familiarize with the format, jump again to a better AF body.

I Think I won't miss the mamiya lens (ok never tried), but seems to be a perfectly well balanced catalogue in the Hassy House. Firstly the 80, in Christmas sell it and buy 50 and 100, in a few months the 150 and that's it.

Sounds good? ;)

Oh! What's the crop factor? I mean... with that body the 80... In which focal becomes? Speaking in FF 24x36; and what about the aperture? what's will be 2.8?

Professional

That was what I wanted to heard!

Perfectly usefull with ambient light.

Practically decided, H3D II 39 with 80HC and in a year , when I will be familiarize with the format, jump again to a better AF body.

I Think I won't miss the mamiya lens (ok never tried), but seems to be a perfectly well balanced catalogue in the Hassy House. Firstly the 80, in Christmas sell it and buy 50 and 100, in a few months the 150 and that's it.

Sounds good? ;)

Oh! What's the crop factor? I mean... with that body the 80... In which focal becomes? Speaking in FF 24x36; and what about the aperture? what's will be 2.8?
I was happy with H3DII-39 at ISO100 and lower, going to ISO200-400 will kill it.

Don't take down the 80mm, it is one great lens, it is sharp, and you may not believe, it is my portraits lens now because i don't have 100 or 50, and it is doing a great job, so don't let it you down, use it and buy another one without selling it, i will not sell mine even if i buy 100 and 50.

This is one of my first shots i did with my H3DII-39 + 80mm, that was my first ever MF kit to have in my life and i will never forget that momennt.

http://imageshack.us/a/img255/7411/daughter1mt2.jpg

The crop
http://imageshack.us/a/img395/2316/daughter2uw9.jpg

Professional

About the crop factor, forget it, still that MF is huge over 35mm, but if you compare on MF league only then there is a crop factor, this H3D has i think 1.2x crop factor, my H4D-60 is full frame.

pyrojim

I'm actually looking for a contax 645 system as well, but I'm worried about the autofocus...

One person in this thread said it was not that great so far, any other opinions?

I currently shoot film on an RZ67 that I LOVE but I am very attracted to the plug and play with a digital back.

Any one have any more thoughts on a contax645?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm actually looking for a contax 645 system as well, but I'm worried about the autofocus...

One person in this thread said it was not that great so far, any other opinions?

I currently shoot film on an RZ67 that I LOVE but I am very attracted to the plug and play with a digital back.

I'd put the Contax AF on par with a Hassy H2 and between a Phase One AF and Phase One DF body.

All AF systems are different, so direct comparisons are a bit tricky. Contax's is slow but very accurate in good lighting. In low lighting it does not do as well as the other MF bodies I mentioned.

Beware taking anyone's advice on AF though (including mine). Personal shooting style, lens selection, subject matter, and ambient lighting all matter a lot to your experience of AF on a particular camera system. It also matters a LOT what you are comparing to. The best medium format body is not on par with a Canon 1Dx for instance. But compared to early MF bodies (e.g. the Mamiya AFD1) they are way better.

Best is to get your hands on each system you're considering via borrowing from a friend, a rental company, or a dealer.

thomas

Marc (fotografz) uses the latest generation of Hasselblad cameras. The AF is certainly much better in every regard.

I am shooting a Contax 645 with DBs and I think Doug naild it: AF is pretty slow but it's accurate in good lighting. Not so good in low light.
If AF is a very important feature for you I would not buy a Contax 645.

Other than AF it's a great system. The first thing to get is brighter matte screen ... e.g. from Bill Maxwell or Brightscreen. Secondly a waist level finder.
I use spilt image screens and have shimmed the screen to match the film plane of my DBs. Focussing (manually) is pretty much a non issue for me...

Last edited:

Professional

Stunning photo!

The crop is 1.1 I just read it.
Thanks!

Yes, you are right, but i was referring to those of 44x33 ones, not 48x36, but i could be wrong, i have to read the cameras specifications again, i had that Phase One table comparing their P1 digital backs, and there are diagrams of the sensor size of each back, it shows the difference, Hasselblad DBs is almost the same.