The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jumping to MF! Some dutties..

Bruno

Can I ask...

What about the PhaseOne system? P45.. Is good? Better than H3d II 39?
The body... 645DF , how is the AF? And the viewfinder? Battery?
And... The lenses?

Thank You all!

thomas

Can I ask...

What about the PhaseOne system? P45.. Is good? Better than H3d II 39?
The body... 645DF , how is the AF? And the viewfinder? Battery?
And... The lenses?

Thank You all!
I come from a Leica M9 system and luxes asph..
My main work is Candid portraits or Portraits, also the streets.
I'd say stick to your M9... or upgrade to the new M. Or buy a Nikon D800e.
H3d II39 and P45 are basically the same sensor wise. And both are only really usable at base ISO (ISO50). So I think for your main work (street / candid camera) they are simply not suitable... and quite clearly not fast enough. Too, pretty heavy compared to an M9.
For usable higher ISO you could either consider a P21+ ("only" 18MP) or a newer DB... but not 2005 models like the H39 or P45. These backs mostly live on tripods for landsacpe and architecture work or in a studio... or a massive amount of light is required if you shoot handheld.
Really ... do yourself a favour and rethink your plans. At least try to get one of those systems in your hands to run serious tests under the conditions you normally shoot.
A completely different approach for street photography would be a small handy tech cam with DB... like the Apla TC. But I think such a system is beyond your budget.

edit: you also have to take shutter speed and apertures into account.
With a P45 don't shoot slower than 1/250 or maybe 1/125 (without MLU). Deduct f stops... Leica M lenses are very fast (at least there are very fast lenses). MF lenses are mostly not that fast. Now consider ISO50 for street photography...

Last edited:

Bruno

Thank so much.. But maybe I want to try another kind of photography, more "slow", good exercise for my mind.

Professional

Thank so much.. But maybe I want to try another kind of photography, more "slow", good exercise for my mind.
I advise you to get H4D-31 or if you can afford H4D-40, H3DII models don't have true focus and also not goos enough above ISO100, there are H4D-31 second hand you may find cheap, even with new as kit it is almost just double the price of top line of Canon/Nikon cameras.

This one i found, it is about $3000 less than the brand new.

Used Hasselblad H4D-31 Medium Format DSLR Camera 70480520 B&H

Bruno

Certainly is a good price but I'm in The EU, so... I have to find here or ask to a friend in NYC to send me, but the customs are a big problem.

So... the HD4-31 has a crop factor like 1.3?

Professional

I see, i understand
I am lucky to buy my Hassy from our local dealer, cheaper even from the US online dealer, if you have the money for new item then make a visit to my country and buy it here and take it with you bac to Europe.

I think that body has that crop factor, but the sensor and image is still larger than from 35mm full frame

pyrojim

Ah all this talk of the different systems makes me want to try them all.

But I have my heart seemingly set on the contax. I just wish I had more time for shooting.

I wish I hadnt spent money on a phase one V mount adapter plate for my rz67! Ugh.

ondebanks

Short questions requiring longer answers :)
The Leica S system is very diverse in concept ... it is more like a 35mm DSLR in handling, is 37 meg from a sensor that is in-between a 35mm and Medium Format sized sensors
Marc, not sure why you say this about the Leica S. You consider your H4D-40 as a "Medium Format sized sensor", don't you? The Leica sensor is 1350 square mm in imaging area; the H4D-40 is 1460 square mm. The Leica sensor has a 54mm diagonal; the H4D-40 has a 55mm diagonal (with a different aspect ratio).

So they are pretty damn close, whichever metric you use. In fact, since they use the same pixel size and the same Kodak 3rd gen microlensed design architecture, that headline difference of 37 MP vs. 40 MP is all the difference there is. Can you really say that an 8% increase in MP & area makes one sensor sub-medium format, while the other leaps up to the status of true medium format?

I consider both sizes to be medium format. And indeed the square 16MP backs of old, with an imaging area of 1350 square mm - by a remarkable coincidence, this is exactly the same as the Leica S!

Ray

fotografz

Marc, not sure why you say this about the Leica S. You consider your H4D-40 as a "Medium Format sized sensor", don't you? The Leica sensor is 1350 square mm in imaging area; the H4D-40 is 1460 square mm. The Leica sensor has a 54mm diagonal; the H4D-40 has a 55mm diagonal (with a different aspect ratio).

So they are pretty damn close, whichever metric you use. In fact, since they use the same pixel size and the same Kodak 3rd gen microlensed design architecture, that headline difference of 37 MP vs. 40 MP is all the difference there is. Can you really say that an 8% increase in MP & area makes one sensor sub-medium format, while the other leaps up to the status of true medium format?

I consider both sizes to be medium format. And indeed the square 16MP backs of old, with an imaging area of 1350 square mm - by a remarkable coincidence, this is exactly the same as the Leica S!

Ray
Easy Ray ... no slight intended. Of course these days we all consider anything beyond 35mm to be Medium Format I guess ... but only a few are actually 645ish, and none are 6X6 or 6X7 digital. I consider the 40meg backs to be crop frame MFD ... which is what they are.

Most MFD cameras have been 4:3 aspect ratio and the S is 3:2 like 35mm is. The point being that the S system form factor and aspect ratio bridged the gap between 35mm DSLRs and the more traditional MF form factor and aspect ratio.

Medium Format is really a misnomer in the digital age isn't it? "Medium or middle" implies there are larger digital formats like in the film days, when there aren't.

BTW, the S2 gives up nothing against a 40 meg back.

-Marc