The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How often do you use a camera with movements?

Paratom

First of all please excuse that I ask more questions and dont spend that many answers to the forum. I hope to be able to give something back in the future.
I have the feeling that many posters here prefer a back without microlenses so that they can use a camera with movements as well.
Now my question would be how often do you really use it (movements)?
I wondered if one is not giving up the advantage of less noise in higher ISO (of which one might benefit quit often) for an option which (maybe) is used only very rare.
Cheers, TOM

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It all depends....
When I go around shooting buildings I use my Horseman almost exclusively. On the other hand, for general use, I don't. So it all depends on the types of subjects you shoot and if you intend to shoot panoramas a lot, although a very decent pano can be shot without shifts.
There is also a zen like thing about using movements. It fosters a very deliberate style.
-bob

Don Libby

Hi Tom

Up till just recently I was using my Phase III and a P30+ and 28mm up to a 300mm lens as my primary tool for landscape work. I had no problems with this kit (I also used a RRS pano kit) sometimes making multiple row/column images for my panoramas. I did all this until I started thinking I might be able to do the same with a different approach.

Sandy, my wife will tell everyone who listens that thinking always gets me into trouble… I started researching technical cameras and the movements that they afford. Suddenly I started thinking that I could accomplish the same end result using a TC and no pano kit; next thing I know I have a Cambo RS 1000 and a new P45+ (I used the P30+ as my get-out-of-jail card for the upgrade). I’ve been using the RS now for a little over a month and have created 2 row 2 column panoramas that are much better than anything I’ve done to date (realizing at the same time the subject matter sucks as it was during my learning phase). We’re headed to the South Rim and Death Valley next month and I fully expect to use the movements to their fullest extremes.

I’m not getting rid of my Phase III or my longer lens as I know there will always be a need for them (I’m only selling my 28mm as the RS has that covered). While it’s still early for me, I will say that I tend to agree with Bob – it’s all in your particular style and not only what you shoot but how your shoot it; movements work great for me in landscape work well past 50% of the time.

The main thing I think I’ve accomplished is having yet another bag to pack up when I go out!

Cheers

don

fotografz

I use a H3D-II/39 with tilts and shifts more than not. The back is almost always mounted to a Rollei Xact-2 and tethered to a computer in the studio. The purpose is to increase the Depth of Field for product work without having to stop down as much ... in other words, it allows use of the better f stops in the mid range of the lens while holding focus front to back. Plus, the view lenses are better than anything for a MF camera.

My regular MFD shooting camera is a H3D-II/31 with the micro lenses ... I use that for lower light work like at weddings, industrial work, and travel.

jlm

Workshop Member
there is a significant usage difference between swings and tilts vs. shifts.
with shifts, you can get by instead with panoramic moves, if all you want is a wider field of view. the pano move has the advantage that you don't have to use the less optically and geometrically perfect margin of the image circle. pano won't correct for perspective however.
the focus plane adjustment by swings and tilts cannot be done any other way.

when I was shooting 4x5, I used all the movements for basically every shot, some obviously more than others, for outdoor landscapes or more urban, indutrial landscapes. and all the time for studio work. But with a 4x5 ground glass it is pretty easy to check focus as you swing or tilt using a loupe on the glass. Try that with a MF back and it is much harder. My recent solution is a pair of glasses with telescopic magnifiers, about 10x. (like your dentist might wear). of course, there is tethered, chimping on a large screen, or even better, tethered, live view, if your back supports that. tethering is another layer of complexity, not so comfortable in the field, but the best way.

Paratom

Any more images and experiences from your setup?
Hi Tom

Up till just recently I was using my Phase III and a P30+ and 28mm up to a 300mm lens as my primary tool for landscape work. I had no problems with this kit (I also used a RRS pano kit) sometimes making multiple row/column images for my panoramas. I did all this until I started thinking I might be able to do the same with a different approach.

Sandy, my wife will tell everyone who listens that thinking always gets me into trouble… I started researching technical cameras and the movements that they afford. Suddenly I started thinking that I could accomplish the same end result using a TC and no pano kit; next thing I know I have a Cambo RS 1000 and a new P45+ (I used the P30+ as my get-out-of-jail card for the upgrade). I’ve been using the RS now for a little over a month and have created 2 row 2 column panoramas that are much better than anything I’ve done to date (realizing at the same time the subject matter sucks as it was during my learning phase). We’re headed to the South Rim and Death Valley next month and I fully expect to use the movements to their fullest extremes.

I’m not getting rid of my Phase III or my longer lens as I know there will always be a need for them (I’m only selling my 28mm as the RS has that covered). While it’s still early for me, I will say that I tend to agree with Bob – it’s all in your particular style and not only what you shoot but how your shoot it; movements work great for me in landscape work well past 50% of the time.

The main thing I think I’ve accomplished is having yet another bag to pack up when I go out!

Cheers

don

Don Libby

Any more images and experiences from your setup?
Hi Tom

All my experiences to date on the RS has been very positive. I wrote a blog article on my experiences both on our blog as well as Capture Integrations.

No new images that I'm willing to share although look at our gallery on line here as I did post a couple from our recent trip to the South Rim. I'm off next week to Crescent City CA where I plan on using the RS exclusively in the Redwoods and maybe on a couple coastal images as well (I'll have the Phase III and longer lens just in case). I hope to post additional images while on the trip either here or on our blog.

don