The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Protection for Cambo system while backpacking

Pemihan

I do a fair amount of multi day backcountry backpacking and would like to bring my new Cambo system.

I'm used to carry my Canon 1Ds III with a lens in a chest-pack for quick access and that might be a possibility with the Cambo as well.
But I would also like to have some kind of protection for it so I can stuff it in the big backpack.

With my Canon if I carry more than one lens, I simply put it in a Domke Wrap and in a dry bag but it seems to me the Cambo lenses require some more protection from bumps and such.

What do you guys use, if anything?

Last edited:

Shashin

When I was carrying a Horseman SW612 and Mamiya 6 over long treks, I put them in a Mountainsmith Tour lumbar pack with a padded insert. I put the waist belt through a large band at the back of the pack which helped to support it--I also put a thin strap of 2" webbing as a shoulder strap which help support it and hold it as I removed the backpack. I also put the insert in a plastic bag which gave a better level of water/dust proofing. If the weather got bad, the whole thing was put into the backpack. I have also used a Mountainsmith Day Pack lumber pack, which is bigger.

Pemihan

Shashin, thanks I'll take a look a that.

Guy, where do you then put the tent, sleepingbag, stove, food ect ect for lets say a week in the backcountry :D

What I'm looking for is some kind of padded soft or maybe even hard sided "containers" where the lenses can fit.
Also something to protect the body, but here I'm thinking of some kind of neoprene pouch, maybe one for a 1D series DSLR will do.

I want to be able to pack it in the big backpack with all the backpacking stuff and just carry one camera with lens in the chest-pack.

dchew

I am in the process of working with Versa-Flex on rigid small square cases specifically for this purpose. Would 4"x4"x5.5" work? That is the size I am looking into for the Alpa lenses up to a 150mm

Their website is much worse than their products :)

Dave

Pemihan

Dave,

That sounds awesome, let me get back tomorrow regarding size...

A square case for MF backs would also be great.

Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Shashin, thanks I'll take a look a that.

Guy, where do you then put the tent, sleepingbag, stove, food ect ect for lets say a week in the backcountry :D

What I'm looking for is some kind of padded soft or maybe even hard sided "containers" where the lenses can fit.
Also something to protect the body, but here I'm thinking of some kind of neoprene pouch, maybe one for a 1D series DSLR will do.

I want to be able to pack it in the big backpack with all the backpacking stuff and just carry one camera with lens in the chest-pack.

Heck I drive the car right to where i want to be even on a cliff. ROTFLMAO

Seriously if your packing that as well than you may want to look at F Stop ø f-stop || Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - +1.253.236.0070 ø Backpacks. You can just use wraps for lenses and such they work well and are very light weight

LonnaTucker

Simple food storage containers like tupperware are excellent for protecting your tech lenses. They are water tight and keep the dust off and most are clear so you can see through to the contents within. The hard sides keep your wide lenses from getting torqued and the shutters ruined. Better yet, they are inexpensive kit and can be stuffed into a true backpack without fear.

Pemihan

That is actually a great very simple solution, wrap the lens in a Domke or Optech wrap and then in a tupperware :) Marvelous...