The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Joey Lawrence...

Well, i did shoot one person before outdoor near Burj Khalifa with one strobe only using my Hasselblad, i didn't use filters, and i got amazing results, it is not difficult to shoot with wider aperture on MF lenses if i can go up to 1/500-1/1600.
You do realize that, whilst Hasselblad can x-sync at all shutter speeds, those shutter speeds only go as fast as 1/500 (V) and 1/800 (H), right? So where was it exactly that you pulled 1/1600 out from?

--

Aside: Strobist: Young Blood: A Chat with Photographer Joey Lawrence

Also worth having a peek at, is this video/commercial Joey did feat. his dad - Coca-Cola, “The Perfectionist” | Joey L.

That should lay any notions he comes from money to rest.

What I find hilarious is that there are so many people in here saying what his work is and what it isn't ..and what it should be.

Newsflash: he's not shooting for you, and his success in the industry doesn't rely entirely on your understanding. He has an aesthetic. He composes and lights and processes accordingly - because it's HIS vision.

I'd expect this kind of bitchiness on dpreview - apparently it was wrong to hold all members of this forum to a higher standard.

Ah well. There's always LuLa.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sorry for not using Monsieur Cartier Bresson's full name, but it was late and I needed sleep. For some reason, this photo of Chinese waiting in front of a bank for an emergency payment by HCB (late forties if I remember correctly) was what first appeared in my mind

when I saw this by Joey Lawrence

Again; nothing wrong with Mr. Lawrence's photo from an esthetic point of view, but if you ask me what I would want to have on my wall, monetary value not considered, Cartier Bresson's photo wins with a huge margin.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What I find hilarious is that there are so many people in here saying what his work is and what it isn't ..and what it should be.

Newsflash: he's not shooting for you, and his success in the industry doesn't rely entirely on your understanding. He has an aesthetic. He composes and lights and processes accordingly - because it's HIS vision.

I'd expect this kind of bitchiness on dpreview - apparently it was wrong to hold all members of this forum to a higher standard.

Ah well. There's always LuLa.
I don't see any bitchiness at all here and I think you misunderstand the discussion, a discussion that is very interesting since it's about one of the fundamental sides of travel photography: Esthetics vs. reality. Discussing other photographers' images and how they are achieved is an excellent way of learning, and I for one have a lot to learn from Mr. Lawrence, even if I prefer a simpler approach most of the time (when I don't schlepp the GX680 around in the SE Asian countryside).

A photographer publishing videos of himself and how he works on youtube can hardly expect his work to escape discussion and criticism. If that is not an invitation, I don't know what is. Criticism does not have to equal personal insults (although that seems to be the attitude at dpr), and most of us learn faster taking the verbal input seriously.

I don't see any bitchiness at all here and I think you misunderstand the discussion, a discussion that is very interesting since it's about one of the fundamental sides of travel photography: Esthetics vs. reality. Discussing other photographers' images and how they are achieved is an excellent way of learning, and I for one have a lot to learn from Mr. Lawrence, even if I prefer a simpler approach most of the time (when I don't schlepp the GX680 around in the SE Asian countryside).

A photographer publishing videos of himself and how he works on youtube can hardly expect his work to escape discussion and criticism. If that is not an invitation, I don't know what is. Criticism does not have to equal personal insults (although that seems to be the attitude at dpr), and most of us learn faster taking the verbal input seriously.
Did you ever consider it might be a generational thing?

And uh.. "Discussing other photographers' images and how they are achieved is an excellent way of learning"

More often than not, he posts BTS of the work he's doing/has done - or revisits it at a later date in one of the DVDs.

"House of Anubis" Nickelodeon Shoot / Behind the Scenes photography Info | Joey L.

I think there are two types of travel photographers. One type for whom the photos are about himself: his vision, his esthetic, his lighting technique. The subjects in the photos are just exotic live props. We learn nothing about their lives, about who they are. It is a bit like a commercial shoot in a remote place.

For the other type of travel photographer the photos are about the subjects and the places in them. The vision of the photographer is subordinate to showing a slice of somone elses life (even if imperfectly), and the lighting and techniqes are used to that end, and not to produce plasing images.

Personally, I find the first approach visually pleasing (and i won't deny the skills of those photographers), but ultimately boring. Opinions may vary, however :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
How is this any different from a snapshot/where's the artistic merit? Right place right time - and very little else.
Oh dear... is this the level we're at?

As opposed to the photo by Mr. Lawrence (and indeed those of many other, if not most travel photographers), HCB's photo tells a story, and a dramatic one at that. You see it in the eye's of the people in the photo, and he captured those eyes, looking straight into the camera in their desperate state.

Compared to this, the people in the photo that Mr. Lawrence took are little more than a decoration, cleverly arranged under a large tree and illuminated by one or more studio strobes. Is it skillfully done? Yes, by all means. Does it look nice? Absolutely. Does it tell anything about the life of those people? Nothing whatsoever except maybe that they use boats made from hollowed tree trunks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Did you ever consider it might be a generational thing?

And uh.. "Discussing other photographers' images and how they are achieved is an excellent way of learning"

More often than not, he posts BTS of the work he's doing/has done - or revisits it at a later date in one of the DVDs.

"House of Anubis" Nickelodeon Shoot / Behind the Scenes photography Info | Joey L.
If I need to post a BTS to explain the background of my photographs, I've failed grossly as a photographer.

Mike M

If I need to post a BTS to explain the background of my photographs, I've failed grossly as a photographer.
Agreed! I can't think of better evidence pointing to the degeneration of photography than the popularity of the BTS video since it's entire purpose is to call attention solely to the mechanical process.

Aren't photographers supposed to be behind the camera instead of in front of it? If a photographer is in front of the camera, is he even a photographer anymore? Or is he just playing the role of a photographer?

stephengilbert

It sounds like some of these posts have an element of sour grapes to them: as in "I could do as well as that if I just had access, support, whatever."

The one Lawrence photo I saw was beautiful. Of course, as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It sounds like some of these posts have an element of sour grapes to them: as in "I could do as well as that if I just had access, support, whatever."

The one Lawrence photo I saw was beautiful. Of course, as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Oh, but I couldn't take the photos that he takes. I have neither the skill nor the inclination. And his photos will always be more beautiful than mine, no doubt about that.

Shashin

I have no problem with his talent--who is perfect anyway? I have no problem that he is traveling and taking photographs of people that inspire him. I believe we all grow with our experiences. I just think his results do not have a great deal of depth. How can you really understand a culture you don't bother to live in? How can you really understand the people when you don't spend time with them and I mean for more than a few days.

Robert Cole did a book called Doing Documentary Work. He would send his students into poor rural areas and have them photograph the people there. He would then go back and interview those people. One person said that the students never wanted them to smile. He explained that they were happy people and enjoyed life regardless of their poverty.

These photographs say more about the photographer than the subjects.

pophoto

It's a sad world that we live in that we criticize fellow artists rather than supporting them. It's made worse that we create rules than define artistic boundaries, rather than respecting each persons art for what it is. Plagiarism is the only crime that calls to mind the negativity society frowns upon, not creating beautiful pictures! If you want to critique work, then so be it. So much babble about degenerating photography here, something that this thread does not warrant, and certainly not from Joey L's work.

Last edited:

Professional

You do realize that, whilst Hasselblad can x-sync at all shutter speeds, those shutter speeds only go as fast as 1/500 (V) and 1/800 (H), right? So where was it exactly that you pulled 1/1600 out from?

--

Aside: Strobist: Young Blood: A Chat with Photographer Joey Lawrence

Also worth having a peek at, is this video/commercial Joey did feat. his dad - Coca-Cola, “The Perfectionist” | Joey L.

That should lay any notions he comes from money to rest.
Well, i said 1/500-1/1600 i meant MF in general and not just Hasselblad, there are MF that are up to 1/400 also, and i heard that Phase One is going to or maybe they did go up to 1/4000 or higher, so i was talking in general as my last sentience, i know my Hassy can't go up higher than 1/800, and on those shots of the model i did i didn't go higher than 1/500 anyway even i can.