The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV50 same Sensor/ImageQuality as H4D50?

my 7 year old h3d39 told me via hasselblad service center that it will no longer be viable until i spend about 2,5k$ - so i'm considering a trade in...
as i'm planing to use the back more on my arca tech cam than on the hasselblad body, i see two options: either sell my lenses and trade in for a hasselblad cfv50 (if possible - i have no answer yet from hasselblad) or a h4d50/h5d50.

is the technology of cfv50 and h4d50 the same sensorwise?
is it only another housing with worse screen?
or are they different in terms of image quality?

my third option would be a leaf credo40 although no upgrade on resolution, and some crop factor, but much improved usability on my tech cam.
credo60 and iq backs are out of reach ...

Professional

I can't talk about another digital back, but i have a feeling that H4D is way superior to CFV backs, at least that true focus and higher ISO is a noticeable improvement, so i recommend to go with H4D or Phase One new backs or LEAF.

that's interesting. thank you.
true focus isn't that much important to me as i'm thinking of tech cam use.
but i do care about image quality and higher iso is an issue. also longer exposures ...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
my third option would be a leaf credo40 although no upgrade on resolution, and some crop factor, but much improved usability on my tech cam.
credo60 and iq backs are out of reach ...
My suggestion would be to approach the question as agnostic of your current gear as possible. Don't let brand momentum carry you one way or the other.

You can get a trade in value towards a Hassy back or towards a Credo/IQ. If you find the right dealer I'm guessing the total cost outlay will be similar and the IQ would be more in reach than you'd think.

I'm sure you don't need me to list the many features the Credo/IQ offer for a tech camera user. Phase and Leaf have focused very heavily on making this type of system more usable.

My suggestion would be to approach the question as agnostic of your current gear as possible. Don't let brand momentum carry you one way or the other.

You can get a trade in value towards a Hassy back or towards a Credo/IQ. If you find the right dealer I'm guessing the total cost outlay will be similar and the IQ would be more in reach than you'd think.

I'm sure you don't need me to list the many features the Credo/IQ offer for a tech camera user. Phase and Leaf have focused very heavily on making this type of system more usable.

i think i know the list of features, that's the tempting part :rolleyes:
otherwise the cfv50 has some more pixels and is cheaper and off course a little bigger sensor.
the local leaf dealer gave me an offer for trade in to leaf credo 40 - the resulting costs would be about 13.000$
the phase dealer told me from h3d39 to iq140 there wouldn't be a trade in offer only for the iq160/180.

and the hasselblad dealer offered me a cfv50 for about 11.500$

all without VAT off course...

it's a difficult decision, because i know that the credo will be more usable and newer technologie but less resolution and cropfactor (compared to my h3d):(:confused:

why are phase and leaf as cruel not to make a 40mpx back with full frame???:banghead:
i wouldn't hesitate. would probably also be better at higher iso with bigger pixelsize....