The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Dual 17mm T/S

rga

Has anyone tried this? Seems it would be a nice way to have lots of options as to what (back/lens) swings or tilts or both or 14deg tilt, etc...
Bob

Stefan Steib

Well we have definitely tried this already on the HCam-B1 and Tilt on a highres back like an IQ180 is only of some use at closeup. even small amounts of degrees are already dramatically shifting the focusplane and make fokusing very difficult. I doubt anyone will need more than the built in 8 degree of tilt if he tilts the 17mm ever. On the contrary it is very advisable to lock the tilt completely as when the lock is not applied it may be impossible to get a proper focusplane anywhere.....

This lens will be great to shift it (e.g. with our Modifications for another 3mm of movements) but the idea of 14 degrees of tilt will probably only be usable for some experimental stuff, maybe extreme closeups, Packshots or maybe Watches.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

rga

But for other than close ups, the ability to choose whether to tilt the back or the lens or to apply swing and tilt at the same time would be useful. Esp. for landscape.

I think two 17mm T/S extensions would work with 35mm SB lenses. Am I mistaken?
Thanks,
Bo

dchew

Thanks,
Bo
No I think you are correct. I'm not sure about mounting them together, but mounting one on the back and one on the front makes sense.

Dave

Stefan Steib

Sorry- misunderstanding - wrong answer from my side. But I thought
the question goes to the usage of a 17mm Canon on the new Alpa FPS.

Regards
Stefan

PeterL

But for other than close ups, the ability to choose whether to tilt the back or the lens or to apply swing and tilt at the same time would be useful. Esp. for landscape.

Thanks,
Bo
Bob, I'm seriously contemplating this solution myself, as opposed to a single 34mm TS adapter. I will be using it on the SK 120N ASPH. It is an expensive solution though, about $2K+, vs. about $1.5K for the 34mm TS alone.

I'm not sure there are any 35mm SB lenses, which lens are you thinking of?

Cheers, -Peter

rga

Bob, I'm seriously contemplating this solution myself, as opposed to a single 34mm TS adapter. I will be using it on the SK 120N ASPH. It is an expensive solution though, about $2K+, vs. about $1.5K for the 34mm TS alone.

I'm not sure there are any 35mm SB lenses, which lens are you thinking of?

Cheers, -Peter
Hi Peter,
They are coming out 2 new Rodenstock 17mm SB lenses that will only work with the 17mm T/S or 17mm Extension: a 32mm and a 40mm.
I just got the new 50mm SB 34 so that's why I was asking about using two 17mm T/S's.
IMO I would not buy the 34mm T/S at this point. It would be worthwhile, IMO, to get the 17T/S + 17extension or 2x17T/S to give you the most options going forward...
Bob

PeterL

Ok - I misunderstood, thought you meant a new 35mm focal length lens. I agree two 17 TS adapters is clearly the most flexible solution. I'll probably go with one TS and a regular extension.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Wow - Alpa's new tilt adapters are positively inexpensive compared to the previous generation 34mm T/S adapter!! I didn't think that I'd ever have reason to say that ...

rupho

I just saw the nice ALPA folks in Beijing
And they suggested a similar set up.
My lens line up is 23HR ( no way to use TS)
32HR, 43 XL, 70HR ( all do style ling barrel) and
120XL with short barrel + 34 extension
I am considering now to get rid of my 34mm spacer and getting a 17mm spacer plus the new 17 TS adapter and changing the 43XL that does not work well with the IQ180 and get a short barrel 40HR and eventually transform my 32 and 70 HR into short barrel and use the 120 in combination with the 17 mm spacer and the TS adapter
So essentially I am having no more long barrel lenses and use the 17mm spacer or TS adapter where usefull and in combination with the 120 use both since it 34 mm short barrel
Sounds complicated but makes sense to me to make more out of my lens line up without adding more weight to my kit
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bo

wesley

I think rupho's plan is ultimate, can use all SB17 & SB34 lenses available. Suppose 6 degree is more than enough.

rupho

Its done!
after lots of deliberating and hand holding from the great folks at Alpa China I am now selling my 43XL, buy the new 40HR short barrel version of this lens.

I get my 34mm exchanged for a 17mm spacer and buy the 17 TS adapter, both of them combined can be used with the 120XL so I won't have use for the 34mm spacer that I dont use that often anyway and later on I convert my 32HR and 70HR to short barrel so I can use the TS on all lenses except for the 23HR which I don't see a point in using TS anyway.

Wesley if you read this I see your in HK. send me a PM I live here as well.

I think rupho's plan is ultimate, can use all SB17 & SB34 lenses available. Suppose 6 degree is more than enough.

rga

Hi Wesley,
No doubt 6deg is plenty for landscapes. I was thinking it would nice to be able to have a bit of swing also.

My curiosity leads me to ask if anyone misses swings that were somewhat standard (no pun intended) fare for 4x5s and larger formats.
Bob

wesley

If tilt swing is really that number one requirement... I would go for Arca-R or even L's Techno not Alpa.

Sadly... I'm sink in the Alpa river already....