The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which mount for Phaseone P20 mfdb? a lot of question to be answered...

J

juzokei

Hi to everyone in the forum,

I m thinking of getting a digital back for my cameras but i need some opinions and feedbacks before i decide on one.

Currently, I own both a mamiya afd and a hasselblad 503cw. But i make use of mostly hasselblad lenses on both system. (with adapter on the mamiya) With film i can use either system for different scenario. But getting the digital back will make me forgo one of them hence i need help in the choice.

If i were to get a mount for;

Mamiya AFD
Advantage - i wont be having to use any extra sync cord attach to the lens. There is af confirmation, ttl metering.

Disadvantage will be having the need to have another set of batteries to operate the system.

Hasselblad 503cw
Advantage - No extra set of batteries to operate the system (unless using the prism meter) The square framing.

Disadvantage - having the extra sync cord to trigger the mfdb.

1. Anyone using the p20 on the mamiya afd with hasselblad lenses care to share their experiences? If i m not wrong, there is a need to mask the screen as the back is a square sensor right? Is there any problem with the focusing when used with the mfdb?

2. lastly, Will it be better for me to get the cfv and used it with the 503cw instead of getting the p20?

Thank you for taking your time to read this and hopefully i can get some opinion from you guys and make my decision... :)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Personally I would explore moving forward with the Mamiya AF system , unless you absolutely need to use the waist level finder.

With the 645AFD Mount system you will still be able to use all of your existing lenses (without a cable) , plus have the option to use your existing Mamiya lenses explore other lenses and also have AF functionality. You will have metering and AF confirmation as well.

Yes you would have a mask that is supplied with the Phase One back to show you the capture area on the 645AFD.

Please remember that you will need the HB adapter for the 645AFD system to use your Hasselblad lenses. Mamiya/Phase One Market one for under $700 and there are some third party ones available for under $200.

Lance

J

juzokei

Personally I would explore moving forward with the Mamiya AF system , unless you absolutely need to use the waist level finder.

With the 645AFD Mount system you will still be able to use all of your existing lenses (without a cable) , plus have the option to use your existing Mamiya lenses explore other lenses and also have AF functionality. You will have metering and AF confirmation as well.

Yes you would have a mask that is supplied with the Phase One back to show you the capture area on the 645AFD.

Please remember that you will need the HB adapter for the 645AFD system to use your Hasselblad lenses. Mamiya/Phase One Market one for under $700 and there are some third party ones available for under $200.

Lance
Hi Lance,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I just went down to my local distributor and thats the same reply from them... heheheh.

But i m still having some feelings for the 503cw as it is so much smaller to handle as compare to the afd.

Is there something else i m going to miss if i were to get the afd mount instead of the V mount?

Henry Goh

Lance
Lance would you have a link to where I can buy a 3rd party adapter? Thanks.

yaya

But i m still having some feelings for the 503cw as it is so much smaller to handle as compare to the afd.

Is there something else i m going to miss if i were to get the afd mount instead of the V mount?
Things you might be missing:

1/500 flash sync
Waist-level and 45º finders
If you're going in the future with a rectangular chip you don't need to rotate the camera to change from vertical to horizontal, just the back.
No firmware updates that require sending the camera in
No (or less) shutter lag
V-mount adapters for other cameras (4X5, RB, RZ, 680) are generally easier to find 2nd hand if this is ever going to bother you.

Yair

Graham Mitchell

You would probably be best off with a Sinar back, with an adapter for the Mamiya and an adapter for the Hasselblad, so you can use the same back on both systems. If you are happy with a 16MP 36x36mm sensor then you should be even happier with a 22MP 48x36mm sensor :) Look at the older eMotion22 (refurbished) or perhaps a new eMotion54 (€6K new).

Graham Mitchell

You would probably be best off with a Sinar back, with an adapter for the Mamiya and an adapter for the Hasselblad, so you can use the same back on both systems. If you are happy with a 16MP 36x36mm sensor then you should be even happier with a 22MP 48x36mm sensor :) Look at the older eMotion22 (refurbished) or perhaps a new eMotion54 (€6K new).

J

juzokei

Hi Fotoz,

thanks for your recommendation but in my location, i m not very comfortable with the sinar distributor as i have deal with them quite a number of time. Plus they dont offer any refurbished set. :)

J

juzokei

Things you might be missing:

1/500 flash sync
Waist-level and 45º finders
If you're going in the future with a rectangular chip you don't need to rotate the camera to change from vertical to horizontal, just the back.
No firmware updates that require sending the camera in
No (or less) shutter lag
V-mount adapters for other cameras (4X5, RB, RZ, 680) are generally easier to find 2nd hand if this is ever going to bother you.

Yair
Hi Yair,

yes i will definately miss the waist level finder and the compactness of the 503cw compare to the mamiya. yes, most of what you say bother me a bit.. I have question to ask how does the mamiya 645 lenses compare in terms of quality to the v zeiss??? as i dont own any of them so i cant compare.

the local distributor told me that there might be some new lenses coming out for p1 and the upgrade path is brighter if i were to choose mamiya instead of hasselblad v.

Thank you all for the replies :)

carstenw

Hi Fotoz,

thanks for your recommendation but in my location, i m not very comfortable with the sinar distributor as i have deal with them quite a number of time. Plus they dont offer any refurbished set. :)
Hello, which part of the world are you in?

Graham Mitchell

Hi Fotoz,

thanks for your recommendation but in my location, i m not very comfortable with the sinar distributor as i have deal with them quite a number of time.
I find the importance placed on the local dealer HIGHLY over-rated. When I got my Sinar back, I emailed Thierry once asking about a menu I couldn't find in Captureshop and he answered quickly. I could just as well have posted the question on the forum and not needed the dealer at all. Does anyone really spend hours holding hands with a dealer, being shown the on button and the simple menus? I doubt it. Just buy a back and use it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Your opinion but i find major fault in that thought. Just sent my body in for firmware if i did it myself it would have taken a week , through my dealer and his relationship with Phase it was done the same day it arrived and shipped out hours later overnight. Sorry i do not buy that opinion for a second. My back goes down or something happens i have something the next day, I need to buy something i was the first to get a 150 mm 2.8 D. If no dealer I would have waited a month afterward because i did get a call than from a retail shop that they finally got one in. Sorry i want to deal with folks that have pull to get me what i want and get things done when I want it . I been down this road many years with many manufactures and I want support and service and if i can't get it than I will not buy that product.

J

juzokei

I find the importance placed on the local dealer HIGHLY over-rated. When I got my Sinar back, I emailed Thierry once asking about a menu I couldn't find in Captureshop and he answered quickly. I could just as well have posted the question on the forum and not needed the dealer at all. Does anyone really spend hours holding hands with a dealer, being shown the on button and the simple menus? I doubt it. Just buy a back and use it.
i understand what you mean. but its the after sales service such as repairs and getting other items. they take their time and dont update you when your items is available for collection.

J

juzokei

Your opinion but i find major fault in that thought. Just sent my body in for firmware if i did it myself it would have taken a week , through my dealer and his relationship with Phase it was done the same day it arrived and shipped out hours later overnight. Sorry i do not buy that opinion for a second. My back goes down or something happens i have something the next day, I need to buy something i was the first to get a 150 mm 2.8 D. If no dealer I would have waited a month afterward because i did get a call than from a retail shop that they finally got one in. Sorry i want to deal with folks that have pull to get me what i want and get things done when I want it . I been down this road many years with many manufactures and I want support and service and if i can't get it than I will not buy that product.
agreed, the support and service is important when the product fails you and you need it to get it done.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Or you want to just try something out before you make a large purchase. I like my hand held. I just know i have backup and worst case i can rent something special or different.

J

juzokei

Or you want to just try something out before you make a large purchase. I like my hand held. I just know i have backup and worst case i can rent something special or different.
i m just left to decide the mount. By the way, guy are you using a mamiya system with hasselblad v lens on it too?