The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which mount for Phaseone P20 mfdb? a lot of question to be answered...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mamiya system with a Phase P25 Plus back. Now you can use Hassy V lenses with either the adapter Phase sells or there are the knock offs that mine worked fine. I used a Hassy 40mm and the 120 macro and they both worked nice on it in stop down mode of course. But i sold them awhile back the Hassy lenses. The nice thing here is i can use either glass with the Mamiya body but you will be shooting square so depends on what you like to view through. The older Hassy bodies where always tough to see through . I actually used Brightscreens on them when I shot the V system. Also for short folks like me WL finders just don't work as well since it was always a challenge to get above the camera at eye level height. I always felt I was shooting up at things with it.

yaya

Hi Yair,

yes i will definately miss the waist level finder and the compactness of the 503cw compare to the mamiya. yes, most of what you say bother me a bit.. I have question to ask how does the mamiya 645 lenses compare in terms of quality to the v zeiss??? as i dont own any of them so i cant compare.

the local distributor told me that there might be some new lenses coming out for p1 and the upgrade path is brighter if i were to choose mamiya instead of hasselblad v.

Thank you all for the replies :)
Regarding the lenses that's a tough call but in general I would say that the 9 micron pixels in the P20 do not present a big challenge to neither the Mamiya lenses nor the Zeiss ones.

There are differences in contrast and the way OOF areas look due to the central shutter in the Zeiss lenses.

Also the sensor, being 37X37mm will only use the center part of the lens so less chances for edge sharpness issues.

In any case the Zeiss lenses should be from the late CFi or CFE generations as they have the better coating that is more suitable for digital work.

The new Mamiya "D" lenses are very good indeed and I know of 2-3 new lenses that are in the pipe

As regards future upgrade I cannot comment, we (Leaf) do not have any preference between these two systems when it comes to upgrades.

Obviously the Mamiya is still "alive" so there is better chance for future improvements. This can be a plus but not necessarily (with the 503CW you know what you're getting into and what to expect exactly)

Yair

woodyspedden

Hi Yair

Just a curiosity question. Why would the shutter have anything to do with image quality (or lack of it?).

My Hasselblad system is, of course, a central shutter system whether using the Zeiss V lenses or the newer HCD ones. The two lens systems have a different look and feel but I felt that was due to how Zeiss produce lenses vs the Fujiblads. (To be frank I much prefer the look of the Zeiss lenses but the AF and DAC corrections make the HCD's a more attractive alternative.)

Being new to MF, I am always open to thoughts about the best way to get great images. But this is the first time I have heard that the choice of shutters has a great impact on IQ

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer

Woody

yaya

Hi Yair

Just a curiosity question. Why would the shutter have anything to do with image quality (or lack of it?).

My Hasselblad system is, of course, a central shutter system whether using the Zeiss V lenses or the newer HCD ones. The two lens systems have a different look and feel but I felt that was due to how Zeiss produce lenses vs the Fujiblads. (To be frank I much prefer the look of the Zeiss lenses but the AF and DAC corrections make the HCD's a more attractive alternative.)

Being new to MF, I am always open to thoughts about the best way to get great images. But this is the first time I have heard that the choice of shutters has a great impact on IQ

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer

Woody
Hello Woody,

This may have been my poor English but what I meant was that there is a difference in the look due the a different shutter design (among other things) I didn't say which one was superior.

The blades in the Zeiss lenses have a different shape to their edges (bigger radius) compared to the Mamiya as they are designed for a larger barrel/ image area, this affects the way OOF areas and bokeh look.

Also the shutter sits quite close to the bayonet (and to the image plane) for mechanical reasons whereas in the mamiya the iris is closer to the front of the lens, which also contributes to a different look.

Yair

J

juzokei

Regarding the lenses that's a tough call but in general I would say that the 9 micron pixels in the P20 do not present a big challenge to neither the Mamiya lenses nor the Zeiss ones.

There are differences in contrast and the way OOF areas look due to the central shutter in the Zeiss lenses.

Also the sensor, being 37X37mm will only use the center part of the lens so less chances for edge sharpness issues.

In any case the Zeiss lenses should be from the late CFi or CFE generations as they have the better coating that is more suitable for digital work.

The new Mamiya "D" lenses are very good indeed and I know of 2-3 new lenses that are in the pipe

As regards future upgrade I cannot comment, we (Leaf) do not have any preference between these two systems when it comes to upgrades.

Obviously the Mamiya is still "alive" so there is better chance for future improvements. This can be a plus but not necessarily (with the 503CW you know what you're getting into and what to expect exactly)

Yair
Hi Yair,

Thank you for your information. I will be making my decision soon. Seems like a lot of ppl are going towards mamiya now... :)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
J

juzokei

There is a great deal on a P20+/AfdII bundle in the ForSale section:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4109
by Justin Waldinger, a customer of ours who is looking to upgrade to a larger size sensor.
It may be of interest to you. I know he has captured some amazing images with the camera. Here is a link to his gallery and one of the images that he too with it when he first got it.
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4599928_pJGKL#300679589_bdMwf

Lance
Hi lance,

Thanks for the link! I have finally decided to go the mamiya mount. Thank you so much for all the advise and information.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Hi lance,

Thanks for the link! I have finally decided to go the mamiya mount. Thank you so much for all the advise and information.
That is great. Good luck and can't wait for you to share some images up on the forum.

Let me know if there is anything else you have questions on.

Lance