The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar P3/Sinarback Calibrations- Sensor Ref, Blk Ref, Wht Ref? Input Profile?

I

IansWork

I need Sinar help, please!

Long story short, I picked up my Sinar gear second-hand and without instruction manuals, and can't find any online either. Most of the system has become pretty clear through practice, but I'm still in the dark on a few items; mostly calibrations and references.

Can my fellow forum members please give me some help in understanding what these Sinarback calibration procedures, and reference files are? And how to make clean versions and/or install them?

Captureshop Menu >> Capture
-"Get Black Reference" (Do I take a pitch black capture? Or should the camera be aimed at the 'scene'?)
-"Get White Reference" (I do have the 100mm x 100mm white acrylic Sinar piece, but don't understand what to do with it?)

>> Select White Reference
-Lens
-Sensor

Seperately, I have a Sinar CD, titled "WS Ref.für CD," with two files on it: "2049.white.sensor.ref" and "Reference Installer."
I was able to install this on my Mac Pro, but oddly, it didn't want to install properly on my MacBook Pro laptop, which is an newer computer. Still working on that problem.

I've mostly figured out the "Calibrate Colors" and "Calibrate Piezos", because the software makes the procedure pretty clear. I was wondering, how often do I need to make these calibrations?

Techincal set-up is Captureshop 6.1.1, Mac OS 10.6.8, Sinarback 54H FW, Sinar P3, CMV 120mm, 90mm, and 55mm, and an LC Shutter.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance! I know this is a lot of questions, but help on one or two items would be great!

-Ian

Last edited:

dick

I have an identical system ( except that my CMV 120 is the macro version)... but I have not sorted the calibration either.

FromJapan

Hi Ian,

I have the same back and software, though I use a C2.
Here are answers to some of your questions, as best as I can:

Captureshop Menu >> Capture
-"Get Black Reference" (Do I take a pitch black capture? Or should the camera be aimed at the 'scene'?)
When CaptureShop is first started, a warning message saying the black reference is no longer valid is displayed. This is remedied by taking one, with the shutter closed, and the back in shooting position, pointed towards the scene. The black reference is dependent on shutter speed. When the shutter speed is changed significantly in the CaptureShop menu, the back will take a new black reference on its own after the main exposure. If you have not taken an image for a long period during a session, a warning pops up, saying that the black reference is no longer valid.

"Get White Reference" (I do have the 100mm x 100mm white acrylic Sinar piece, but don't understand what to do with it?)
When you press this button, the first option is for installing the sensor reference files from the CD.

Then the following options are available:

Create Sensor Reference - in case you do not have the CD, or wish to create your own.
Create Lens Reference - when the lens is moved significantly
Create Scene Reference - when using the back for art reproduction

For each option, instructions are presented when you press 'Continue'.

>> Select White Reference
-Lens
-Sensor
If you have created a scene reference, that option is also presented. A tick mark is made against the the last used/created reference. This will be applied to all the following exposures, unless it is overridden manually. For example, if you are stitching a 2x2 matrix, you would create a lens reference for each position. Then you choose the appropriate one for each image. The same reference can be used when bracketing with shutter speed, but not when changing aperture.

Seperately, I have a Sinar CD, titled "WS Ref.für CD," with two files on it: "2049.white.sensor.ref" and "Reference Installer."
I was able to install this on my Mac Pro, but oddly, it didn't want to install properly on my MacBook Pro laptop, which is an newer computer. Still working on that problem.
The reference files on the CD can also be copied to the appropriate location manually. See where the files are on the Mac Pro, and copy them to the same location on the MacBook Pro.
You also have the option of creating a new Sensor Reference as outlined above.

I've mostly figured out the "Calibrate Colors" and "Calibrate Piezos", because the software makes the procedure pretty clear. I was wondering, how often do I need to make these calibrations?
I try to do the 'Calibrate Colors' whenever I start a new session, if I have the time. I did the 'Calibrate Piezos' when I first got the back, but lost the Piezo chart some time ago.

Techincal set-up is Captureshop 6.1.1, Mac OS 10.6.8, Sinarback 54H FW, Sinar P3, CMV 120mm, 90mm, and 55mm, and an LC Shutter.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance! I know this is a lot of questions, but help on one or two items would be great!

-Ian
Kumar

Last edited: