The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 45mm AF lens noise?

faneuil

Just acquired a used Mamiya 45mm AF lens. Seems to work just fine, but, man, is the lens noisy when focusing! I'd describe it as a sotto voce garbage disposal sound.

Is this typical? Seems nosier than the 80mm I have.

curious,
Eric

J

jmvdigital

I have the 45 and 80 as well. I wouldn't necessarily consider the 45 any noisier than the 80, neither are quiet. I've not done any side-by-side testing, but the noise difference was never consciously notable, so maybe that's why.

Dale Allyn

I just compared a few lenses including the 45mm, 80mm, et al, and they all seem in a similar realm of sound/noise. I have stuff in my garage that sounds similar as well as smoother and more elegant, but the lenses all seem to share focusing sounds within a tolerable range. In other words, my 45mm does not sound particularly worse or noisier, and does not stand out as crunchy or alarming.