The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech cam - focussing with laser rangefinder?

Don Libby

Using a Leica Distro and setting it to measure from the rear instead of the front I will normally position it as near to the sensor as I can. Haven't had much trouble however then again I'm primarily a landscape photographer. I'll also check focus on my IQ to make certain I'm sharp.

If I'm shooting closer than say 20' (6-meters) I'll cheat and shoot 3- images; 1-at the distance measured, 1-a little more and 1 a little less. This way I have 3-to choose from and either use one or stack 2 or more.

Don

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
From where do you try to measure the distance?
Form the sensor plane or?

Peter
Technically yes; from the sensor plane.

In practice don't worry about it except at distances less than 10 ft. At anything farther than 10ft the difference of a few inches doesn't matter.

markymarkrb

I'm not sure if it really matters but while we are on the subject I'll ask one more question. For the most accurate focus to an object, would you use slant range to the object or horizontal range? Can the Disto5 compute horizontal range from slant range?

Flynnyfalcon

I'm not sure if it really matters but while we are on the subject I'll ask one more question. For the most accurate focus to an object, would you use slant range to the object or horizontal range? Can the Disto5 compute horizontal range from slant range?
I'm yet to use a Disto (I receive my Disto 5 tomorrow), but from my research, the Disto 5 will calculate horizontal distance from any slanted range within 45deg of horizontal. I'm not sure of what function/button is used but it is a regular feature. The Disto 8 allows 360deg slant which seems overkill, but no doubt handy on the odd occasion.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes you can calculate accurate distances with the triangulation functions of the Disto's. That said, I've never had a situation where I needed to account for any angled distance measurement.

GrahamWelland

btw, has anyone come up with way of traveling with a Disto so that the on button doesn't get pushed?

Once more I'm on location and had to buy another set of batteries due the stupid design of the on/off switch making it measure the distance inside of my bag/pocket until the batteries died. The Leica case doesn't seem rigid enough to prevent outside pressure from waking up the Disto.

neil

The same thing has been happening to me. One time I was unlucky enough not to be able to buy new batteries. After that I take the batteries out and reinsert them when on location. So also interested in an alternative case.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
btw, has anyone come up with way of traveling with a Disto so that the on button doesn't get pushed?

Once more I'm on location and had to buy another set of batteries due the stupid design of the on/off switch making it measure the distance inside of my bag/pocket until the batteries died. The Leica case doesn't seem rigid enough to prevent outside pressure from waking up the Disto.
The same thing has been happening to me. One time I was unlucky enough not to be able to buy new batteries. After that I take the batteries out and reinsert them when on location. So also interested in an alternative case.
That never happened to me .
I did not even know , that this possibility exists .
I carry my DISTO 5 in the original case stored in a little additional bag , attached to the side of my backpack . There is plenty of room and no mechanical pressure can cause the described issue .

Ok . Removing the batteries while the DISTO is stored in your backpack is a solution , but not a very handy one .
The DISTO case can also be used attached to your belt . Would that be a solution ? ? ?

dchew

I noticed something really strange about mine. A few months ago I took it out of the bag and the batteries were dead. I put new ones in, turned it on but it would not turn off. Had to remove the batteries to get it to turn off. Then with batteries in it and it sitting just on the desk it would spontaneously turn on by itself. It was like the button was stuck half engaged or something. Eventually the problem went away and I now store it by itself in the bag with its own dividers. Haven't had an issue since.

As a test you might want to leave it out on a table while you are doing something else and just check to make sure it is not randomly turning on by itself like mine did. It was all very strange.

Dave

GrahamWelland

Thanks Jurgen/Dave - my Disto doesn't exhibit the battery burn on its own, only when it is packed or in my pocket. I know that it's slight pressure on the case as I can hear it beep on under those circumstances. It has never just died on its own overnight for example, only when packed and traveling or in my camera vest pocket. Even when fitted to the belt I'm sure that it would still power up as it seems that sensitive.

It would be far better if the power button were recessed or took a longer push to power on. I certainly have no complaints otherwise with it.

Flynnyfalcon

Sorry, a little off topic, but I recently got a D5 which seems an amazing unit. It came with a wrist strap/leash but I have no idea where to attach it. Any ideas?

GrahamWelland

Sorry, a little off topic, but I recently got a D5 which seems an amazing unit. It came with a wrist strap/leash but I have no idea where to attach it. Any ideas?
I have the D8 but I would assume that the D5 is essentially identical. On the back there are two tiny hole between the screws on either side - approximately at the same level as the end of the battery compartment/fold out 90 degree flap. You thread the end of the lanyard through them.

Flynnyfalcon

I have the D8 but I would assume that the D5 is essentially identical. On the back there are two tiny hole between the screws on either side - approximately at the same level as the end of the battery compartment/fold out 90 degree flap. You thread the end of the lanyard through them.
Hey Graham,
Appreciate the reply. I'll take a second look at it. Hopefully my "photographers eye" hasn't degraded to the point that I missed that :eek: :D