The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions of Rodenstock 55mm f4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital

archivue

from the Apo-Sironar digital brochure :
This line of lenses provides the photographer with even larger image circles for digital photos with adjustable professional cameras. They allow taking two and more laterally shifted overlapping photos for stitching as well as taking large-format photos with scanner backs. Focal lengths from 5 mm mean that real wide-angle shots are possible, even with the standard area sensor sizes, while still allowing large movements. The gap between the focal lengths 55 mm and 105 mm can be closed with the HR Digaron-W 70 mm and 90 mm lenses with image circles of 100 mm and 125 mm diameter respectively.
Due to the small formats on the one hand (which are sensitive to higher diffraction!) and the high illumination requirements of the CCD image sensor on the other, digital photography does not allow the lenses to be stopped down as much as in conventional large-format photography. As a result, these lenses have been optimized for a working aperture of 8 to 11. Because both the surface of the area sensors and the area scanned by the CCD line sensors have greater planarity than conventional roll and sheet films, special attention was given to the correction of the curvature of field. The freedom from distortion, which is so important for product and building pho- tography, and the uniformity of illumination are also excellent.

the flange focus length is 48.9 mm for the 55 !

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/lenses/documents/e_Rodenstock_Digital_Lensespdf.pdf

tjv

Hi again, all.
Thanks for all of your comments and advise.
I finally decided that I would continue with my 55mm APO Sironar Digital purchase instead of anti up for the 60mm Schneider. While the 60mm is undoubtably one of the best lenses in its class – I now have negatives that are proof – what swayed me was both the extra cost of the Schneider and the ever so slightly wider perspective of the Rodenstock. (I know, it's very minor but somehow in practice made a difference.) Additionally, I was very heartened to hear that people are using he Rodenstock with good success on 60mpx sensors. Because in an ideal fantasy land I want to get a P65+ next year, this was an essential requirement for me. I hate buying things twice and am learning this lesson for the millionth time now with my tripod... But that's another story...
Thanks again,

TJV

wesley

Anders,

Yes, it's in Hong Kong. The spot is in Shing Mun Reservoir country park. Yeah, those trees are especially nice in the hot summer typhoon season with good flow of water, green on stones. Just 30min walk from parking area.

Cheers,
Wesley

tjv

I received the 55mm this week. Had a few test rolls processed and can confirm that it's sharp as a tack. Probably sharper than my Mamiya 7 50mm lens, even with movements, and that's quite something!

neil

I also just received my digital 55mm after selling my older film 55mm.
The digital version is less prone to flare and is sharper.
The digital version I got is a linhof branded version. I wonder if this is making the difference. I suppose linhof hand picks the best lens from a batch.

This is a great lens, a gem for the price.

Pemihan

Does anyone know if the Rodenstock 55mm f4,5 Sinaron Digital is the exact same lens as a Rodenstock 55mm f4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital?

Peter

anGy

Hello Peter,
The Sinaron lenses are the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar lenses made for Sinar.
They are the exact same lenses. Some pretend that the Sinaron ones have been carefully chosen by Sinar and are of better quality (double quality check) but nothing proves it and it can be just marketing.
If other can confirm that, please do.

Pemihan

Thanks for the reply, I got the same information from Rodenstock. (the part of the lenses being identical)

Peter

Hello Peter,
The Sinaron lenses are the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar lenses made for Sinar.
They are the exact same lenses. Some pretend that the Sinaron ones have been carefully chosen by Sinar and are of better quality (double quality check) but nothing proves it and it can be just marketing.
If other can confirm that, please do.

Pemihan

Have anybody been using the Rodenstock 55mm f4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital lens for flat stitching? How are the extreme corners when applying say 15 mm shift and 15 mm rise at the same time?
I have a Leaf Aptus II 7 back (33MP) on which I will be using it if I decide to get it.

Peter

Last edited:

tjv

Thought I revive this very old thread...
I was interested to read the Linhof Studio lens product page the following data on the 55mm APO-SD

Filter Thread 67mm
Image Circle 125mm
Flange Focal Distance 67.6mm
Lensboard Techno Part no. 1143
Lensboard M679cs Part no. 1160

I was particularly interested in the flange focal distance mentioned. Pardon my ignorance, but might I assume from this number that the 55mm is indeed termed a retrofocus lens after all? Would this mean I might be able to expect better performnce using it it with shifts on the new CMOS sensor than, say, the Schneider 47mm XL?

Steve Hendrix

Thought I revive this very old thread...
I was interested to read the Linhof Studio lens product page the following data on the 55mm APO-SD

Filter Thread 67mm
Image Circle 125mm
Flange Focal Distance 67.6mm
Lensboard Techno Part no. 1143
Lensboard M679cs Part no. 1160

I was particularly interested in the flange focal distance mentioned. Pardon my ignorance, but might I assume from this number that the 55mm is indeed termed a retrofocus lens after all? Would this mean I might be able to expect better performnce using it it with shifts on the new CMOS sensor than, say, the Schneider 47mm XL?

Theoretically, yes. It's a longer lens, the rear optic position is further from the sensor, and the image circle is slightly larger as well (125mm vs 113mm).

I think you just have to watch for sample variation - if you have a good copy, it can be very good. Several clients have purchased this lens and used it with 60mm and 80mm digital backs with good sharp results (I've seen 30x40 prints from them).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

tjv

Thanks Steve, that's very promising info for me. Here's hoping I can demo it on a 50c sometime soon and report back how it performs.

torger

As far as I understand a larger flange focal distance does not necessarily mean it's retrofocus, it could mean that the lens just has a large nodal point separation. I don't know any specifics of the Rodenstock 55mm though.