The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions of Rodenstock 55mm f4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital

tjv

Hi all,
I'm seeking opinions on the Rodenstock 55mm f4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital lens. I'm currently borrowing a Schneider 60mm f5.6 APO-Digitar XL and am using on my Linhof Techno with 6c7cm roll film. I've got an eye to digital capture in about twelve to eighteen months, probably with either a P40+ or P65+ back. I have an option to buy the 60mm lens but the price is substantially more than the Rodenstock 55mm. I've been leant the 60mm because there is a delay in production of the 55mm at the factory – one very trusting and generous dealer leant me a new copy of the 60mm in the mean time. I'm really after opinions of the performance of the Rodenstock 55mm lens, both with analogue and digital capture, and if it's up to snuff with the smaller pixel pitch sensors found in the above mentioned backs. In an ideal world I'd buy the best once and be confident I'm set when eventually moving up, but cost is an issue and if opinion has it the 55mm is a great lens for less money I'd rather have the money in the bank!
Thanks guys,
TJV

I love that lens. It's not quite as sharp as some of my others but it's still plenty sharp on my P65+. And it has a huge image circle. I tested it on my M Line 2, shifted all the way up and down 35mm in each direction. There was some softness near the edges but it still gave me a really big image.

Thumbs up from me.

CB

archivue

Really good lens with an image circle that covers 4x5" !
But not really good wide open... i use it for architecture @ F8, F11...
This lens can be find in the second hand market... a bargain sometimes !

tjv

Thanks guys, plus to everyone who has PM'd me with opinions.
It looks as if this lens is great litter performer, if not when used wide open.

May I ask if people think the 60mm Schneider f5.6 APO-Digiron is *worth* the premium over the Rodenstock 55mm? This is a tough one for me as I'd really rather put the extra money towards a better tripod head but want to assure high end optical quality when I move to digital.

Thanks agian,

TJV

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've never used a lens on a tech camera that I liked as much as the 60 Super Digitar.

Note that there was a previous Schneider 60mm Digitar. I am speaking of the around-one-year-old 60mm Super Digitar.

It is really remarkable how sharp that lens is even with radical amounts of rise/fall/shift/swing/tilt.

Whether it's "worth" it over another lens is something only any given user can evaluate.

etrump

One of the best bangs for the buck in tech glass. The rendering is similar to the HR32 in terms of clarity and micro-contrast. I have used it with the IQ180 and been very pleased with the resolution at f/5.6 and up. You may notice a slight softening wide open but nothing that cannot be easily brought back in C1.

alan_w_george

I use the 55mm on my cambo/IQ180 rig and am very happy with it. Moved to the Rodie 55mm from the SK 47mm when I went P65 to the IQ180 because of LCC issues. I am a stitcher so a large image circle is one of my top priorities and the 55mm has it. I rarely shoot to much off f/11.5 so I can really speak to the overall performance, but it works well for me. BTW, I've also owned the SK 72mm and still own the SK 90mm.

Shashin

It is a re-badged film lens. I had one on my Horseman SW612. It is a terrific lens. I used it for 6x12 with the Schneider 58mm center filter. It is optimized for use at f/11 and above for 6x12/4x5.

wesley

the Rodie 55 is of low price, I used one in the last 6 months adapted for Alpa STC. Easily stitching 18mm end-to-end with my 1.1 crop sensor. Don't really need center filter on D.back. color cast is less, until 15-18mm movement edge.

One down side I found it quite prone to flare. Not sure if it's with mine only, or latest copy will improve as I was using the early green ring Sinar version.

A sample shot to show

tjv

Brilliant, thanks so much guys.
I knew this would be the best place to ask this question.
No question, the Schneider 60mm lens is brilliant. Even on 6x7cm film with movements.
I guess it comes down to me having to do the maths!
Tim

tjv

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the APO–Gradagon, not the APO–Sironar? The former has a 165mm image circle vs. 125mm.

Really good lens with an image circle that covers 4x5" !
But not really good wide open... i use it for architecture @ F8, F11...
This lens can be find in the second hand market... a bargain sometimes !

neil

Has anyone done a comparison between the 55mm APO–Gradagon and the 55mm APO–Sironar? Is there a big difference between the two lens. The older Gradagon has a much bigger image circle. Would I notice the difference using a p65 back.

I have the older Gradagon with center filter and was wondering if its worth getting it mounted on my technical camera.

tjv

Although I have no direct experience with these two lenses, I've been told by everyone I've asked that the APO–Grandigon is not up to digital capture. Obviously, you might have an alternative opinion if you're happy using it! One persons half full glass is another persons half empty glass, I guess.

Has anyone done a comparison between the 55mm APO–Gradagon and the 55mm APO–Sironar? Is there a big difference between the two lens. The older Gradagon has a much bigger image circle. Would I notice the difference using a p65 back.

I have the older Gradagon with center filter and was wondering if its worth getting it mounted on my technical camera.

archivue

Actually the Apo Grandagon 55 (green ring) is a lens optimise for film
with the advent of MFDB, it was one of the best lens for digital use that came from the film era... Sinar did sell it as a digital lens.
The rodenstock took the same elements, and change the spacing a little bit, in order to increase quality in the center for digital use... this is the 55 apo sironar digital (pink ring).
4 years ago, i've tested this two lenses side by side with film... both had the same circle of illumination... then, i've test these two lenses with a digital back (it was only an aptus 22... ) the quality with THIS back was quite similar... but it looks like that with biggers backs, the digital version is sharper !

archivue

Previous version for film use :

The sinar version... digital optimisation or just rebadged ?

The digital version :

neil

Thanks for posting the pictures of the lens.

It gave me a push and I tried the previous green film version on my IQ 140.
Resolution seems to be quite acceptable. But the lens seems to easily flair and the images come out with low contrast. Does anyone know if this was improved in the digital version of the lens.

tjv

Actually, I'm really interested in seeing these tests if you are able to please share them? I originally paid for the APO-Gradagon but then changed my mind to the APO-Sironar, only to be loaned the Schneider 60mm f5.6 APO-Digitar XL because of a production delay... I'm interested to know what other people have seen between the Gradagon and Sironar, too...

Resolution seems to be quite acceptable. But the lens seems to easily flair and the images come out with low contrast. Does anyone know if this was improved in the digital version of the lens.

wesley

I used exactly the middle Sinar green ring in above lens variation. As I point out earlier, flare like hell... Consider the picture I posted earlier with just top portion seeing the bright sky between the leaves (not even direct light into the lens FOV), I have to use a small umbrella to shelter the Alpa+lens. Contrast was improved significantly!

archivue

anyway with tecnical cameras (arca, alpa, cambo...) it's important to use a compendium because lenses have a huge image circle, we are using movements, and the bodies are small with moving parts... so the baffling can't be perfect !

My copie of the 55 Apo sironar is quite flare resistant... but in this respect the 45 is better... anyway i always use compendium now !