The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's it worth?

L

LB Jefferies

Long time listener, first time caller. :)

I have a DL28 kit (AFD III and Aptus II 6) that creates some of the best digital files I've ever worked on. Here's the rub: as I was putting it away after the last shoot, I checked the count on the back, and it showed 984. I know I've used it sparingly, but dang!

So if I was to put it up for sale, what's it worth in today's D800 world?

L

LB Jefferies

That wasn't the question, ckhfrankie. :)

In a world of dollars per megapixel, I'm curious what y'all would place the value of a barely used MFD kit at?

I have already been pitched some really lowball amounts, so it may stay, even if I only use it infrequently. :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to know what it is worth, put it up for sale on the B/S forum.
Any other answer is meaningless.
And no, you are not supposed to do an end-around by posting this here.

-bob

f8orbust

Mid-2011 this type of kit was going for $5k on 'that auction site' (which, love it or loathe it, at least gives some idea of what the great unwashed masses are prepared to pay).

Now, late-2012, in this post-D800 and pre-Canon 46MP world, I'd put it at around the $3k - $4k mark depending on condition, accessories, warranty, phase of the moon etc.

That said, the bottom line as always is 'whatever someone is prepared to pay' - and as far as MFDBs are concerned, it has been a buyers market for some time now ... and will continue to be that way for the foreseeable future.

P.S. I am one member of the 'great unwashed masses' ;)

malmac

What will you spend the money on?

Will you regret having sold the camera?

As for the price, I havn't a clue but the questions may be useful.

Mal

Nick Devlin

Hey,

I think your kit is probably worth somewhere in the $5K range. But buyers are much scarcer than they used to be. Only one way to find out!

Good luck,

- N.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think that we need to differentiate between the back vs kit value. I'd say ~$5k for the back. The AFD III and say 80D would add another $k or so.

(Btw, IMHO you'd be better keeping it and shooting with it. For those gorgeous files that the D800 can't quite replicate without work)