The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Retrofitting to Alpa mount

f8orbust

Has anyone here ever had a lens retrofitted by Alpa? I read in one of their publications that they offer this service, but can't find anyone that has made use of it.

If you have, was it pretty straightforward to do (via a dealer I'm hoping), and how much did it cost? Did it take long? Would you go down that road again or just sell the lens and re-buy it pre-mounted? I know Cambo are in the $1k - $1.5k range depending on the type of mount, and Arca (R-line) are around the $1k mark - so I'd imagine/guess Alpa charge around about $2k per lens.

The reason I ask is that I have my eye on an STC, but only if I can get my 35mm and 60mm lenses remounted.

Thanks in advance (would be great if Thierry was still here as part of Alpa to answer these questions).

Jim

PeterL

I believe our member Jürgen (jotloob) had this done. I recall a price in the range of $1200 a few years ago, quoted from Paul Slotboom, but don't hold me to that. It's done by Schneider I believe (for SK lenses of course).

Cheers, -Peter

f8orbust

Thanks guys - will contact Alpa direct (no local dealer nearby) - will try and find out about the mechanics of doing this - i.e. import/export hassles etc.

Will post response when it arrives.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Not all Rodenstock or Schneider lenses can be adapted to be used with the ALPA System . I am thinking of lenses we know from the LF photography .
Each lens needs a lens barrel with the corresponding length of the focal flange length of the lens .
To produce a lens barrel to order would surely be possible but would be extremely expensive . So forget about this .
The retrofit is done either by Schneider or Rodenstock to the ALPA specifications . At least , that is valid for european countries .
The ALPA team will surely give you a qualified answer and tell you how to proceed .

cly

I had three Schneider lenses converted to Alpa mount. Took between 10 days and three weeks if I rember correctly. I contacted Alpa, then I sent the lenses directly to Schneider and they returned them to me, Alpa sent the invoice. No problems at all.

Chris