The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo question

danlindberg

jotloob: :ROTFL:

pophoto: ofcourse, I friend sending it 'could' make it a better deal, but customs know this and they do hit on 'gifts' often nowadays from the us.

I can tell you that even if the 5562 have many sections, it is really really solid. I have tried it.
Last time with my 2 series and motionblur it is true that I didn't have a weight, so that ofcourse would have helped...

Don Libby

I love my Cube I love my Cube I love my Cube...

My Will actually states it's to be buried with me but that's only because it'll be very hard to pry it from my dead cold hands.

The major reason MF isn't cheap is the extras associated with it. My main tripod is a Gitzo GT5540LS with a weight of 6.5 pounds (2.96 kg) with a price north of $1,000; this is where the Cube lives for a total investment of well over $3,000 and a lot of weight. As heavy as it is - it has never let me down.

My new lightweight tripod is a Feisol that cost south of $500 where a D4 now permanently resides.

I use the Gitzo whenever I don't have to travel too far or if a need to be rock stable due either to winds or location. I did use the Feisol quite a bit on my last trip and found it work very well.

Don

danlindberg

Don, you know how it is...I have already fiddled with the 5562 and there were lovevibes all over. Not easy to look elsewhere, but my good friend Micke (bildifokus in the Nikon section) he just bought the sturdiest Feisol and he is really pleased with it. I believe it was as you say, south of $500 and I suppose great value. I must try it out, but doubt I can get over the 5562....

etrump

RRS are great, but they have nothing tall enough for me. I use an older version of the 3542 XLS -- LOVE it as my main hiking pod. Also have the 5560 GT and it is extremely useful in mountain situations where getting a leg extended can make the difference. I also like spike feet in any outdoor setting. And while the Linhof head is fine -- I used one for years when I shot LF -- once you use a Cube it will become a mandatory accessory :ROTFL:
Hi Jack,

The L series are still not tall enough for you? I use the 24L and with the cube raises the camera a foot over my head.

gazwas

Dan, have you managed to see any of the Series 4 Systematic tripods as I believe they uses the same size flat top plate at the Series 3 but the legs off a Series 5?

I too keep looking longingly at the new Series 5 Systematic's but keep chickening out due to their size and weight and the Series 3 never looks quite enough, especially at height. The Series 4 looks like a possible compromise?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack,

The L series are still not tall enough for you? I use the 24L and with the cube raises the camera a foot over my head.
Ed,

Believe it or not, I find myself extending at least one leg of my 3541XLS fully on every trip, and usually several times on any given trip to stabilize on a downhill slope. Fully extended height of my 3540XLS is same as me, 6'-6" or 80". There is nothing in RRS that goes that long, so I'd need a column -- no thanks!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
After finding the "normal" Gitzo 3 too short on uneven ground, I was deciding between the XL 3-series (same size as Jack's) and the Giant 4-series. The 4 is not much heavier, but it's a good bit more expensive. Since the XL 3 already goes up way over my head, and I don't plan to take a ladder with me when hiking, I went with that.

I hope that's the end of my tripod purchasing, but I know better :)

--Matt

Last edited:

archivue

archivue: 5562GTS gets incredibly high! you would need a tall ladder with you...

a ladder cost only 40 euros... and i can use my car as well ;-)

cly

I had the same problem: Series 2 was'nt sufficiently rigid. I bought a Gitzo Series 5 (the giant) and I love it - except it's weight. It's not a tripod I like to carry over longer distances. In the end, I got a Series 3 tripod as well.

RRS ships internationally - it takes but a few days if they have it in stock. You can order their tripods in Europe* but last time I checked it would have been cheaper as well as faster to order directly from RRS.

As to the Cube: I haven't seen this new Linhof head in person. But I have a cube and I'd really like to know if the Linhof 3d Micro is more rigid. The Cube is fabulous but, IMHO, in certain situations it's not rigid enough. But then it's more versatile while the Linhof is limited to plus/minus 12 degress.

Chris

* E.g..:

Tier-Foto - Augenblicke-eingefangen Tierbilder aus MV - Fotos Tiere Bild Bilder

Foto Konijnenberg - kenners kiezen konijnenberg

(no idea why the URLs get this wrapping)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The major reason MF isn't cheap is the extras associated with it.
Don,

Absolutely agree although you missed out a couple of expensive items.

1) The truck/SUV/Camper to carry the stuff around the country
2) The spousal expenses to compensate for the acceptance of spending funds on the MF gear ... think jewelry, house remodels, vacations, family vacations, trips to the inlaws, spa treatments, etc etc. :ROTFL:

Ed,

Believe it or not, I find myself extending at least one leg of my 3541XLS fully on every trip, and usually several times on any given trip to stabilize on a downhill slope. Fully extended height of my 3540XLS is same as me, 6'-6" or 80".
Exactly:

:)

danlindberg

It is a very valid point of having the possibilty to extend one leg a lot on a slope or rocks or even in a situation as Graham shows. Since I haven't had such a tripod I have been avoiding that kind of placement, but having one, more flexibility at hand.

I have narrowed down three models that would be attractive for me:

5562lts
folded 49.8cm
extended 148cm
2.94kg

The initial favorite! Love the idea to snap off the head with quickrelease and put the whole tripod inside the bag. Great rigidity!

5542ls
folded 61cm
extended 153cm
2.8kg

Slightly longer, slightly lighter as strongpoints over 5562.

4552gts
folded 73.1cm
extended 240cm
2.72kg

And the new contender....height that will never restrict me in any situation. Lighter still. But, folded it is long and must be treated as a normal tripod and carried outside of any bag. Now, the most important factor - will it be sturdy enough??? Remember, I use an Alpa MAX which is a bit of a sail in wind and the whole excersise with a new set of legs is its rigidity on long exposures.

Not easy. What do you think?

Professional

I have 4 models of Gitzo CF tripods: Series 1, 2, 3 and 5.

In my country i use only series 5, when i travel before i started with series 1 but i found out it is not sturdy enough, then got series 2, was a bit better but i was not sure if it can handle all conditions, and i had that bug i want something strong steady in all conditions, so i bought series 5, but it was big for travel, so ended up with series 3 and i never look back, my series 5 tripod GT5540LS is very nice for local hiking, i never feel i want to change it, i want to get new series 5 version but i may not see much difference and i am not tall, so i don't look for to buy another one, and series 3 is sturdy enough and lightweight more than series 5 and folds smaller than series 5 so it will be my ultimate travel tripod.

If i were you i will go with series 5, and between the two i think i will prefer 5542ls over 5562lts.

torger

I started to use a long tripod, 3541XLS, 6.6'/198cm. Now I don't see how I could be without that height. It's not that I constantly have the camera above my head, but I'd say in 20% of my shots at least one leg uses the fourth section. It should be said though that I often search for a bit higher viewpoint, standing on rocks etc.

I have not yet had stability issues with it with my 4 kg camera and 33 megapixels, but I would certainly not recommend all four sections extended in windy conditions. If there's no wind I think it works without issues with full extension although I have not made any formal test. The nice thing with 4 long sections is that in normal height only two or two and a half is extended so it gets very stable in that position, probably more stable than a normal length series 3. A series 5 will be more stable though of course.

dchew

I also have the 3541XLS and agree with Jack and torger; the full legs are used more often than I expected. Actually I do carry a 2 foot step-ladder in the back of the car. Stop laughing.

There was one day I was shooting with David Duffin where I noticed softer images probably because of the tripod. We were on an exposed ridge in the morning, it was windy and I was using the 150mm. I did not think to use any ballast so it might have helped. I wonder though; in a stiff breeze drilling and tapping into a boulder might not even help.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There is something to be said of being short. Although not always said nicely. Lol

I left Gitzo in the dust and moved on to RRS legs. I'm really liking my 24L. It's very sturdy and light to carry. Going to order claw feet next for it though.

kdphotography

You said it, Guy.

And both of our giants think that they are the normal ones...

Well, in terms of height only. Ok, maybe just Jack is normal.

:ROTFL:

Shashin

There really is no answer except a personal one. Some think nothing short of a concrete post is going to be steady enough, but I am not carrying a concrete post to the locations I go to. The answer may be a combination of tripods. I don't think there is a one size fits all solution.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Will not disagree. I would not mind having a real giant 12 footer for example for some things.

But I have been known to bolt cameras to ladders than run them tethered or remotely from the ground too. I do a lot of this shooting exteriors of buildings.