The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo question

I live close to the Rockies and do a fair amount of shooting in mountain valleys and ridges -- wonderful wind tunnels. Being an old non-athletic gearaholic and never travelling far from my truck, I have the flexibility of several tripod choices at hand including Gitzo 5, Gitzo 3, RRS 2-series, and a Sachtler FSB-4 video tripod (originally purchased for use with a RED Scarlet). Most shots are done with S2 or SWA and sometimes with HB 300mm on the S2 in the wind. Usually I use the RRS legs with a cube -- they're quickest to extend and place and have a good stability-to-weight ratio.

But not surprisingly the Sachtler legs (designed for video panning) have much more torsional stability than any of the others. Dual-beam construction and centre spreader discourage twist. This is important if it's windy -- I now choose to use the Sachtler with the SWA or the S2/300mm combo in the wind. Dan's Alpa Max could also benefit...

The Sachtler head has proven handy to frame a composition with its fast rotation and tilt. Leaning the head from side to side is a bit fussier, requiring a tilt of the bowl by loosening a lower handle while keeping a close eye on the spirit level. Overall though no less handy than a ballhead or cube. An added benefit is the pad on the bottom of each leg folds up to reveal a spike.

Like the Gitzo 5, the Sachtler may be something to consider having in your arsenal if you aren't hiking too far. And if you ever take up video you'll be all set:

Sachtler 0375 FSB-4 Carbon Fiber Tripod System 0375 B&H Photo

David

I recently bought a Gitzo 3542XLS. It is a little heavier than I expected, but it is extremely solid for the weight and price. I rarely use the full height of the tripod, but it has come in handy a couple times. I think you have to be honest with what you need in a tripod and how you plan to use it. I would not call the 3542XLS a backpacking tripod, nor is it beefy enough for big tele lenses, but it had no trouble supporting a DF with a few lenses.

Given the choice I would rather have one of the RRS tripods, but the Gitzo seemed a better match for my needs and budget.

To get the most from these camera's or even a 24+ MP high pixel density small format machine like a Sony A77, a sturdy tripod is really a necessity to avoid movement. When looking for my 5 series, one sales guy actually argued with me that I didn't need it!!

I ended up with the 5542LS which seemed a good compromise between size and weight.

My "Cleaning the world" image in the "fun with" thread was shot on an RZ67 with a 2 series and has so much movement I may as well have used a leica or similar and saved the pain of carrying the RZ.

I think you've got to go all in if you want to get the most from this gear. Tripod cannot be compromised (except maybe a beanbag on a sturdy rock or concrete post)

dizzyg44

The Gitzo's are nice but for the price/quality, I love my Sirui!

I have the M3204
Tall, light, 40lb capacity, retractable spikes, one leg removes as monopod, includeds short and long column (I use the short, don't care for center columns), Great warranty, fantastic case, tools included.....

My stupid brother (200lbs) was checking it out, reached up and hung himself from it and it didn't budge one bit!

HenryDove

I'll add a vote for the Gitzo 3541xls - it's the one I went for after consulting the threads here and it is just the compromise for me - certainly sturdy enough for my H3DII-50 - I've not had any vibration issues since using this Gitzo. But, as others have commented here, you're only half way there till you get a decent head and the Arca-Swiss D4 did it for me - not quite as eye-wateringly expensive as the Cube, but so much better and lighter than the Manfrotto 405 it replaced, though it was along wait before I found one at Robert White.

Henry

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In my experience with the Alpa Max is that you need to be aware of wind on the body. It acts like a big wind sail/panel so make sure that your tripod is stable enough to cater for this. I also prefer to use spikes on my Gitzo giant - these are great but scare fellow photographers and TSA gate agents.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jacks going to stab me one of these days with those freaking spikes. Lol

I'm going to order the RRS claws

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Since quite some time I am planning to get a new and second Gitzo , but could not make up my mind which one I should go for .
Therefore this thread just came in time for me and helped me a lot .
Thanks guys for all the discussion .
As I do not have an ALPA MAX or an other big and bulky camera (any more) , I decided to go for a SERIES 3 GITZO .
I also had a look to FEISOL and INDURO tripods but the GITZO GT3542XLS
won the race . Not least also because of the possible height of 2 meters .
Its on the way to me and will hopefully arrive on Saturday .

I also had a look to the RRS tripods . They are very hard to get here and are rather expensive .
Some guys say that the RRS tripods are better than the GITZO's .
Can you please tell why .
Is this just a personal preference or a question of price ?
Are RRS tripods cheaper in the U.S than GITZO ? ? ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I also had a look to the RRS tripods . They are very hard to get here and are rather expensive .
Some guys say that the RRS tripods are better than the GITZO's .
Can you please tell why .
Is this just a personal preference or a question of price ?
Are RRS tripods cheaper in the U.S than GITZO ? ? ?
I would characterize the RRS tripods as being better built, with better materials (especially the top plate & hinges - Gitzo seems like pot metal to me) and arguably with better vibration resistance although to be honest the Gitzo is great in this respect. I haven't compared it to the latest new Gitzo head design though which does look better.

Price? RRS is more expensive here.

However, we're kind of comparing Audi vs BMW vs Mercedes at this level.

MILESF

+1 for the Gitzo Systematic 4 series which I bought in addition my 5 Series in order to reduce weight for a trip when we had quite a severe baggage allowance. Also worth looking at the Arca-Swiss D4 Geared (or manual) heads as lighter alternatives to the Cube (which I love to bits too).

I've bought brackets from RRS and they have always been delivered promptly and efficiently. Shipping and customs dues are not cheap though (to the UK). I've never been able to persuade myself that the extra cost of the RRS tripods over the Gitzo's make them right for me. The Audi/BMW/Merc analogy is a good one I think though I might change my view if shipping and customs costs were not a factor.

gazwas

I ordered a Gitzo 5541LS earlier this year only to be told they were out of stock and all the Systematic tripods had been discontinued without a replacement as of yet. Subsequently, I'd forgotten about my obsession with looking for the ideal tripod.

That was however until this thread sparked it all off again..... :cussing:

The Big Boy arrives tomorrow hopefully....... went the whole hog for the GT5562GTS for the extra height.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . .
The Big Boy arrives tomorrow hopefully....... went the whole hog for the GT5562GTS for the extra height.
Congratulation .

But don't forget . . . thats nothing for dwarfs .
You will definately need a 4 step ladder and a trolley . 2,77meters height at 3,6 kg . Crafty gazwas .:thumbup:

gazwas

Yep the weight was a big issue but I use a Manfrotto (can I say that here?) 055XPRO now and found it was not very stable, especially with the column and went nowhere near high or low enough. Looked at the 5 series range and apart from the GTS they are all similar ish to the 055 in height so no good. If I was spending this sort of money I thought I might as well go for the big boy so I don't regret it later.

Figured if I also order the new GC5100 carry bag also at least I can sling it over my shoulder. Since I'm no landscape photographer - factories and product shots is my main interest so hiking over hill and dale with it will never be an issue...... Hopefully.

gazwas

Well, it arrived.

Really nice tripod and hopefully lasts me forever..... :rolleyes:

Just a few rubbish iPhone pictures sorry but the new Gitzo makes the Manfrotto 405 head look small now. Also for anyone interested in this tripod a picture next to the Manfrotto 055XPRO to show the difference in size.

Wierd thing is, once you open the legs to the second wider spread position on both the Gitzo goes lower.:thumbs:

Last edited: