The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo question

danlindberg

I have happily used a featherlight Gitzo 2 series with the Linhof micro 3d head and Aptus II 5.
Now with the Credo 60 I realize that the 2 series simply isn't sturdy enough...I get slight motionblur that I didn't see before on longish exposures.

I do have a Gitzo G1500 as well which is rock solid even in windy conditions BUT there's a price - it weighs a ton! I took away the centrecolumn and that saved me 1kg. Good, but not good enough.

I have looked at new Gitzo legs in the 5 series but in Sweden they cost a fortune, so I was wondering, would it be possible to exchange my upper/outside legs to carbon and use the innerlegs and topplate? (that would probably save me up to another 2kg)

I have asked this question to the distributor in Sweden two weeks ago but still no answer, so I thought I throw out the question here as well!

kdphotography

Dan,

Congratulations on your new Leaf Credo! Unfortunately, the bleeding wallet rarely stops at the initial MFDB acquisition, and runs over to accessories as well---that is, high resolution MFDBs seem to require higher end (cost) accessories to complement the system.

I think you'd be better off just biting the bullet and buying a new CF Gitzo (you know you want it anyway) or seriously consider the new RRS TVC tripods (not sure of international shipping).

I use a TVC-24 as my lightweight tripod and a Gitzo 5541LS as my larger tripod. (Cambo WRS 1050 or Phase DF with IQ180). I prefer the RRS tripod over the Gitzo, and if the 5541LS weren't so newish, I'd go for the TVC-33 as my larger tripod.

Again, congratulations and make sure to show pictures of your Credo on your new carbon fiber tripod....

:D

danlindberg

Thanks in all regards! The Credo is just completely wonderful and I am over the moon. I am not used to such big files and the elasticity in pp. Amazing!

True, investments in this segment seems to never end, bags, big glassfilters, heads and tripodlegs, computerpower etc etc.
The good side of this is that looking at the very high end of everything, every piece you do get will last you either many many years or even your lifetime.

The legs I fell in love with are the Gitzo 5562lts, 6 sections that at first seems like a big hazzle unfolding/folding, but with the right technique is really fast. The benefit is that it will fit inside a large camerabag. The alternative are ofcourse the 5542! Yes, I do want one of those...:D but here in Sweden the 5562lts retails at $1 500 for the legs only :shocked:

But, being in this segment, we all know that sooner or later it will be in the bag :eek::)

archivue

I've bought a GT3542LS... but sometimes, i'd like to have the GT5562GTS because of height... but the weight : 1,96kg vs 3,6 kg...

For my use, the GT3542LS is good enought... but i will probably buy a GT5562GTS as well...

So if i was in your shoes, i will go with the GT5562GTS directly !

By the way, there's a discount in paris at the moment... 20% off (prophot, but probably others shops as well ! )

GT3542LS
Series: 3
Sections: 4
Max height: 146.5 cm/57.7”

GT5562GTS
Series: 5
Sections: 6
Max height: 277 cm/109.1”

Gitzo-systematic-leaflet
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/brochures/Gitzo-systematic-leaflet.pdf

pophoto

B&H Photo here in the US, sells it for $1200 and ships internationally.

You know, I'm sure your friends here can help, if RRS doesn't ship international either, I've found personally emailing companies that don't offer int'l shipping on websites, and someone is maybe friendly enough to help make things happen!

Shashin

I don't think you can mix and match leg tube material because the wall thickness of the tubes are not the same.

Why not try a Manfrotto tripod which are usually cheaper than Gitzo? Other manufacturers exist as well.

kdphotography

B&H Photo here in the US, sells it for $1200 and ships internationally.

You know, I'm sure your friends here can help, if RRS doesn't ship international either, I've found personally emailing companies that don't offer int'l shipping on websites, and someone is maybe friendly enough to help make things happen!
+1

Dan, RRS is a very service-oriented business located on the central coast of CA. I bet RRS can work something out, or someone else from the GetDPI family can help...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the RRS TVC and Gitzo 5561SGT. The Gitzo is a beast but it is absolutely my favourite tripod bar none. It is heavy but the versatility is unmatched.

The RRS tripods are similar to the Gitzo's but in my view are much better made. Another great investment.

The Arca Swiss Cube awaits you ...

danlindberg

archivue: 5562GTS gets incredibly high! you would need a tall ladder with you...

pophoto: customs in Sweden adds the difference from B&H...

shashin: I think you are right! Legs don't mix. I must forget that idea, never works to be a cheapshot :p

My eyes are set on 5562LTS, but at best it will be my own christmas gift ;)

danlindberg

Indeed this is a very friendly community! Help everywhere, great!!

Arca Cube is not on my radar since I am very pleased with the Linhof 3D head :)

Shashin

A fully grown male Newfoundland dog can pull unwards to 2000lbs. Unlike a mule, it can fit in a car easier.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
RRS are great, but they have nothing tall enough for me. I use an older version of the 3542 XLS -- LOVE it as my main hiking pod. Also have the 5560 GT and it is extremely useful in mountain situations where getting a leg extended can make the difference. I also like spike feet in any outdoor setting. And while the Linhof head is fine -- I used one for years when I shot LF -- once you use a Cube it will become a mandatory accessory :ROTFL:

danlindberg

once you use a Cube it will become a mandatory accessory :ROTFL:
I don't want to see it, don't want to try it...just keep away :poke:

My Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Your Linhof is excellent!

(Until you try a Cube!!!)

Actually, we joke about it a lot on the workshops ---- where the combined dozen or so tripods and heads alone can be worth in excess of $25,000...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
A fully grown male Newfoundland dog can pull unwards to 2000lbs. Unlike a mule, it can fit in a car easier.
Do you have any complains from the Newfoundland dog union or from the animal welfare society ? ? ?:)

My Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine...my Linhof is fine..
Dan , I can understand you . No need to go for a cube .

My cube is fine . . . my cube is fine . . . . . . . . Take it easy .:ROTFL:

pophoto

pophoto: customs in Sweden adds the difference from B&H...
Okay, but what if a friend bought it for you and sent it as a gift with lower value :)

Also, I know maximum height and retracted size helps, but I always thought the number of leg sections adds to instability. Also have you tried weighing down your current tripod which gives blur? Perhaps you have already tried all the above, but maybe worth mentioning!:)

danlindberg

edit: this was meant as a respons to Jack, wasn't quick enough...

The funny thing is that, even if you are at the very pinnacle of equipment (in whatever segment), there is always something out there that is tempting on the other side of the fence.

As an example, I am truthfully finding my SK 72L an outstanding lens in every single regard, yet I am reading everything I can about the newish SK 60.....

It just never ends!

Last edited:

Shashin

Do you have any complains from the Newfoundland dog union or from the animal welfare society ? ? ?:)
Believe is or not, it the Newfoundland is a draft animal and compete in draft competitions. The only complaints I get is because my gear is nicer... ;)

Shashin

The funny thing is that, even if you are at the very pinnacle of equipment (in whatever segment), there is always something out there that is tempting on the other side of the fence.

As an example, I am truthfully finding my SK 72L an outstanding lens in every single regard, yet I am reading everything I can about the newish SK 60.....

It just never ends!
You can just stop looking...

(I am not an addict. I can stop anytime I want to. I just don't want to...)

jagsiva

Great! I had two males a few years ago, amazing dogs, and each was almost 200lbs. I had to buy a minivan just to take them places!