The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Burn Dante Burn - RM3Di on its way...

jagsiva

Thank you everyone, especially Doug for all the fantastic and thoughtful advise. I ordered an RM3Di, 32HR, 60XL, factum, and a bunch of bits last week from my dealer in Toronto, B3K. Will likely add the 120N.

My dealer has always been great, and the advise in the forum here just completed the experience. Doug, especially admire your professionalism and dedication to your craft knowing full well that the sale would likely go local in Toronto....a very rare breed these days. BTW, saw your video from NYC a couple weeks ago, and was just floored -- based on the wise and tempered advise you provide on this forum, I expected a lot more grey :)

I was having a love/hate relationship with my DF and thought it would all go if I went the tech cam route, especially now that I use the D800E for anything casual, but I just love SK LS glass so will keep it for now. For context, 95% of what I shoot on the DF/IQ180 is landscapes.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the little beast in a couple of weeks and posting progress.

There are also a couple of new bits like the eModule Cloud(?), Rotamount and grip extension from Arca that I can report on once I get everything in my hands.

Thanks again! Of course, Dante has once again danced on my wallet...

Last edited:

Kevin Sink

I use the 32HR on that camera, and it's one of the best lenses I've used in 23 years as a professional. You're going to be a happy camper. I have some equations to calculate appropriate tilt angle for that lens if you are interested....
You should experience no buyers remorse.

jagsiva

I use the 32HR on that camera, and it's one of the best lenses I've used in 23 years as a professional. You're going to be a happy camper. I have some equations to calculate appropriate tilt angle for that lens if you are interested....
Thanks for the confirmation. This is the second highest price I have paid for a lens, and waffled on it quite a bit. Beyond price, I was concerned about ruggedness of the lens and its size. In the end, I know how I operate, and felt I would eventually end up with it, so decided to take the direct route :)

Do you use a CF on it?

Would be great if you could share the equations with me. I will PM you my email address. Thanks again.

MILESF

Well, I'm close to going down the same route as jagsiva and have found this forum wonderfully helpful for my research. Thank-you all.

One question I still have is the extent of colour casts from these three lenses on an IQ180 and P45+? I use Capture One so will make LCCs of course.

Many thanks.

jagsiva

Congrats! Great start and theorectically it could end there, although we all know it doesn't :D
No, it will not end there...now if I could only buy some talent and time.....

BTW, Dan, I always have to wipe the drool off my screen whenever I see your images on the tech cam thread. Simply stunning. Also, I work out of Stockholm more than half my time, so maybe will run into you at some point...Cheers.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well, I'm close to going down the same route as jagsiva and have found this forum wonderfully helpful for my research. Thank-you all.

One question I still have is the extent of colour casts from these three lenses on an IQ180 and P45+? I use Capture One so will make LCCs of course.

Many thanks.
With these three specific lenses (32HR, 60XL, and 120N) the end-effect is the same. With both the 45+ and IQ180 I'd suggest using an LCC on every shot, and the LCC will take care of the falloff and color cast without hassle.

With other lenses (28XL, 35XL, and to some extent the 43XL and 47XL) the end result is not the same; the P45+ will clean up without hassle and the IQ180 may not.

That, I'm sure, based on my advice, the forums, and his local dealer, he choose the (very expensive and fairly large) 32HR rather than a Schneider equivalent.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My dealer has always been great, and the advise in the forum here just completed the experience. Doug, especially admire your professionalism and dedication to your craft knowing full well that the sale would likely go local in Toronto....a very rare breed these days. BTW, saw your video from NYC a couple weeks ago, and was just floored -- based on the wise and tempered advise you provide on this forum, I expected a lot more grey :)
Don't worry, I'm sure I'll have grey soon enough :). They say you age 2 years for every year you live in NYC.

Thanks for the kind words. I was glad to help out with advice and perhaps in the future our paths will align sales wise (e.g. on additional lenses or accessories).

Marlyn

Kevin.

I would certainly like those calcs !

I love that lens.

Regards

Mark

jagsiva

Got most of the kit. Pics in the "show tech cam" thread. Thanks again Doug and the rest. Kevin, appreciate the formulas.

Crappy day outside, but hope to post some pics soon :)

Cheers...

stngoldberg

I also would appreciate the equations you mention for the 32 HR

Stanley

danlindberg

No, it will not end there...now if I could only buy some talent and time.....

BTW, Dan, I always have to wipe the drool off my screen whenever I see your images on the tech cam thread. Simply stunning. Also, I work out of Stockholm more than half my time, so maybe will run into you at some point...Cheers.
Oh, I have missed this completely, sorry about that! Thanks a lot for your kind words.

We should definitely get together sometime if possible :) tech cam shooters seems to be a rare breed so very nice indeed to become friends in the real world too :thumbup:

Pemihan

Well, since I'm in Copenhagen maybe we should do a threesome ;-)
One Arca, one Alpa & one Cambo.....

Peter

Oh, I have missed this completely, sorry about that! Thanks a lot for your kind words.

We should definitely get together sometime if possible :) tech cam shooters seems to be a rare breed so very nice indeed to become friends in the real world too :thumbup: