The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7 - It's doubled my MPixels!

6x7

Paul: again, that's not normal or expected. You're experiencing some bug. Either uninstall v7, go back to v6 for now and put your head in the sand and presumably it will be fixed.
yes.. thanks Doug I now feel myself understood and warmly embraced by the care of the community :)
I really hope it's only a bug which will be sorted out… I allready did exactly what you suggested. as I am no software tester I'm back to v6 and my ears and mouth are full of sand now… :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
yes.. thanks Doug I now feel myself understood and warmly embraced by the care of the community :)
I really hope it's only a bug which will be sorted out… I allready did exactly what you suggested. as I am no software tester I'm back to v6 and my ears and mouth are full of sand now… :)
I hope you did not misread my tone. I did not mean to be negative of harsh.

With the language difference I was only trying to be direct/straight-forward to let you know that what you were experiencing was not normal.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just imagine what it does to an IQ180 or Credo or Aptus-ii12 file :).

Dante's fires are all consuming.
All I can say is that my IQ160 seems to have had what feels like a $10k upgrade. :bugeyes: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I was very very nearly a convert to LR 4.1/ACR 7.1 due to the superior shadow performance but C1 7 has been making a huge difference to the rendering of my files. For my Nikon files I still use LR but for Phase it's C1 7 all the way.

I'd definitely agree that the image rendering does certainly seem to present a noticeable increase in real resolution in my shots. Shadows are cleaner and image noise seems to be a lot less too. I'm actually finding myself pulling back the default sharpening too.

Very nice. I'm a happy camper.

gazwas

Canon 1DSIII files have also taken a massive jump in quality. Who needs a D800 when the old girl looks this good now.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Canon 1DSIII files have also taken a massive jump in quality. Who needs a D800 when the old girl looks this good now.
There's an old phrase that still holds true - if it's not broke, don't fix it. :)

I may have to run some of my old D1, D1x & D2x files through C1 7 now myself.

eleanorbrown

I'm on my fourth Phase back and have used C1 off and on over the years but in the last couple of years used only Lightroom as over all I felt I was getting better processing. However with C1 v.7 I am now doing all my raw processing in C1v7. I finally took the time to make a a bunch of separate sessions and while I'm still getting some crashes, C1 is working much better and the processing of my Nikon D800e raw files is far better and more accurate than Lightroom. Eleanor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm on my fourth Phase back and have used C1 off and on over the years but in the last couple of years used only Lightroom as over all I felt I was getting better processing. However with C1 v.7 I am now doing all my raw processing in C1v7. I finally took the time to make a a bunch of separate sessions and while I'm still getting some crashes, C1 is working much better and the processing of my Nikon D800e raw files is far better and more accurate than Lightroom. Eleanor
Exactly what I was hoping you would discover. Great news

woodyspedden

C1-7 contains both the new 7 and old 6 processing engines, so YES it will render old files as you originally processed them. HOWEVER, once you re-render with the new 7 engine, you cannot revert to the V6 state inside C1-7. For that you need to have an installation of C1-6 on your computer and then reprocess it there.
Jack

I assume that Pro 7 processes all new images with the new Raw engine and you are talking only about images originally processed in Pro 6?

Thanks
Woody

woodyspedden

Hi Paul:
- good news: this is not the way a properly functioning installation of v7 works
- bad news: I can't explain why this is happening on your system. I'd suggest a clean install (removing the extra app support and pref files) and if it persists start a support case.

When a properly functioning v7 installation looks at an image that was adjusted in v6 it will be rendered effectively identically to the way v6 rendered it. ONLY when you push the "upgrade to v7" does it change, in accordance to the new math available in v7.

Jack: you in fact CAN revert an image that was upgraded to v7 back to the math of v6. Change preferences: default rendering to v6 and then create a "new variant" and (if desired) copy and apply the v7 upgraded settings to the v6 image (e.g. crop/rotation etc). This won't be a popularly used work around though given how universally better the v7 math is than the v6 math.
Doug

Where is the "upgrade to V7 button?

Woody