The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800e - Ehh, not so great

Had to shoot an event for a client that we do product photos for. Since I don't shoot events, I had to rent a camera. And of course there were no D700's available so the guy at the store gave me a D800e for just 20 bucks more than a D700 rental. During the shoot I was amazed at the quality of the photos when I was looking at LCD. However, when I got home I saw that the files were NOTHING near the files my P25+ puts out. Colors were off, and they don't have anything near the pop of MF.

Just wanted to let everyone know, that in my opinion it can't compare ;)

archivue

at first, i wasn't impress by D800 files (not E)
But, with a certain amount of postprod, i've found this files to be quite good !
While in my shooting condition i prefer files from my Aptus 22 and Aptus II 7,
i must admit, that i was impress...
I used to have a canon 5D and a 5D II, i've sold it, i was never happy with the files, but now i'm considering to buy a D800 !

D800 vs D800E... i can't see enough IQ difference... and i can't stand moiré... so for me a D800 is a better deal !

With the evolution of RAW converters, Aptus 22 and P25+ still in the race... at 25 and 50 iso !

Dustbak

Thank god, I see more and more people being somewhat critical about the D800. I find its color in particular skin not only off but often even ugly and very difficult to get nice in PP. Especially skin and scenes lighted with gelled lights turns out a lot less than with my MFD equipment.

I am glad my screen was calibrated but now the colors of the files themselves.

Weird thing is that for product stuff, like food, the colors are great. It is skin that is ugly. All IMO naturally, it feels good though that I am not the only one anymore :)

Pics2

It is obviously unfair comparison - experienced photographer with controlled studio lighting shooting product with P25+ vs inexperienced photographer at event uncontrolled, and maybe fluorescent, lighting shooting skin with D800E.
Had to shoot an event for a client that we do product photos for. Since I don't shoot events, I had to rent a camera.
;)

It is obviously unfair comparison - experienced photographer with controlled studio lighting shooting product with P25+ vs inexperienced photographer at event uncontrolled, and maybe fluorescent, lighting shooting skin with D800E.
Should have mentioned that I was at 100 iso and I had my pro-8a and 4x6 softbox. I thought the files were great and was VERY impressed up until I got home and put the files on my computer. The LCD screen makes every image look amazing.

Pics2

Even if it was fair comparison, P25+ would win. That's why I'm on the market for DMF, to go alongside my D800E :).
Should have mentioned that I was at 100 iso and I had my pro-8a and 4x6 softbox. I thought the files were great and was VERY impressed up until I got home and put the files on my computer. The LCD screen makes every image look amazing.

sc_john

What raw convertor did you use? Did it have a profile for D800e? I would agree that OOC the D800e files need more work than my P40+ files. However, in my limited experience the D800e nef's are quite malleable and can produce produce an image approaching (but not beating) the P40+. Having said that, I don't deal with skin tones.

John

Oamkumar

I use Capture NX to convert NEF files and could not find any problems with it. If you use the correct white balance and the correct profile, it will be a perfect image technically. I did not like the files from the camera when I started using it, but after started using Capture NX, I started loving it. I found image was a little soft, but I turned off the noise reduction, it was perfect and very sharp. and I did not find any problem with skin tones too.