The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noise, IQ180 and CI 7.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm not sure yet because I'm not working on at home where I have comparison files but I think the noise from the IQ180 is better with C1 7 than it used to be.

Generally I don't go above ISO 200 (unless I go with Sensor+) but the last few days I've used ISO 400 a few times and it looks a bit cleaner than I remember. This might be because I'm using the back in cold weather (?) or it might be C1 7.

Anyone else seeing this?

Bill

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the IQ160 and C1 7 is definitely better at processing noisy images. I've been rerunning some of my 2-4 minute exposures :eek: and it seems cleaner than C1 6 was.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
...it also seems that the default noise settings in C1 Pro 7 are set really high?? 50 luminance and 50 color?
What?? Default values in C1 not being entirely appropriate out-of-box???

:grin:

Seriously though, the slider for NR is now relative to the underlying file. So 50 NR on an ISO25 leaf file and 50 NR on a ISO25,600 Nikon file will be different amounts of underlying math. I still think the "50" setting is too high on most DB low-ISO files, but it's simple enough to set your own default or create a "default" or "base" style to apply.

ALSO, check the filter tool; since you can add filters like "ISO" and "Camera Model" to the filter list it's almost stupid-easy to select the low ISO files in a folder/session/album/catalog and treat them differently than the higher ISO files. Beats the heck out of the smart album/search in v6.