The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

OliverM

Hello,

I am evaluating to move from the Alpa 12 TC to either the SWA or the STC for the shift possibility.

I use it mainly in travel, 60% handheld and 40% on a tripod.

Would you recommend to move to the SWA or the STC ?
-> how do the SWA handle compared to the TC : are the extra weight and size any issue (can you walk 2-3 hours with the SWA+MFDB around the neck ?), do the two handgrips of the SWA improve the comfort and stability ?
-> how do the SWA and STC compare in terms of handling ? The STC, by its name, should be much smaller than the SWA, but doesn't look so (different proportions only ?)
-> are the shift capabilities significantly better with the STC ? (looks more usable for down shift and stitch)

I find the look of the SWA so great that I hope you will tell me that is is a good choice ;-)

Many thanks for your feed-back.
Oliver

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually the STC is the better stitching cam over the SWA. The SWA is set normally for rise and fall, so to stitch you need to flip it sideways. THe STC is setup for horizontal movements so a much easier stitching cam. Plus you can use the movements side to side faster because it has a release knob. Alpa users can tell you better as I was more a Cambo and Arca guy but this is what I remember on the Alpa.

The SWA you can stitch but its not its natural setup.

OliverM

The SWA you can stitch but its not its natural setup.
Thank you Guy, this is what I thought according to the pictures.
For the time being, I am more interested in rise & fall possibilities, but if the only advantage of the SWA is its look, the reason would tell to take the STC ...

Many thanks

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Honestly I used rise and fall on almost every shot with a tech cam. I did not stitch too often but on a Cambo its much easier since you can do both at the same time. I think you need a Alpa Max to do that but there are some attachments they have as well. Graham and David shoot the Alpas so they can weigh in better on that.

danlindberg

The STC is more versatile with quick setup for both rise/fall and stitching, especially with quickplates in both horizontal and vertical position. If I was to choose between SWA and STC and only have one Alpa body with movements, I would go for the STC.

However, if you have a lens/sensor combination that allows for bigger movement than the 18mm limit on the STC, then it comes in handy with the 25mm movement on the SWA. Furthermore, if you like handheld shooting, the SWA is more comfortable with the double ergonomic handles and excellent balance. I am shooting down to 1/60 with the 35XL with solid results, at 1/30 it is a 50/50 chance but definitely possible (handheld it needs to be zero latency so you don't fiddle with two buttons). The SWA also has the 'looks' to die for.....

Important though, if you want to do stitching at some point, you will kick yourself not choosing the STC, yes it is possible with SWA but so much quicker with STC. So, it really comes down to shootingstyle and preference.

I would say that both are equal around your neck.

OliverM

Thank you both,

Hmm, that's what I feared : right brain for the STC and left brain for the SWA ...

I think I often shoot 1/30 handheld with the TC, but not with a higher success rate than yours. I would like to move to an Aptus II-10 or a P65+, that will be a mid-term step, but indeed the latency should be considered, I had forgotten this.

Well, I think I could follow my left brain if I see a nice SWA with rosewood grips at a good price ... I will tell my right brain that the handgrips and the rise are the features that I need in 80% of the cases.

Many thanks for your input ! It really helps.

jlm

Workshop Member
I too am a cambo user and find rise/fall indispensable. I do pano's rather than shifts and work off a tripod.
if you are handholding, I doubt if you need the shifts and rise/fall will be hit or miss, so for handholding, keep the TC, such a cute little thing. if you are on a tripod for rise/fall anyway, not as much need for the ergonomics of the SWA, so go STC for the versatility

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Something else to consider with the SWA vs STC is that the STC has shift / rise from a central position of 18mm - i.e. left/right or up/down depending upon the orientation of the camera. With the SWA you have 25mm or so of front rise and so if you want fall you have to invert the camera body or swap the lens/back on the body.

If you truly want to stitch left/right with the option of flipping the camera for rise/fall then the STC is definitely the more flexible.

When I've got my Alpa flipped on it's side for rise / fall I often wish I had the SWA instead - UNLESS I had to shoot with fall and had to flip the whole thing. Like Guy, I very often use rise/fall perhaps more than shifts for panos these days.

Either is relatively small and compact. If I were shooting handheld a lot then the SWA would appeal more to me than the STC. I have a TC just for this type of use actually. As John mentioned, it's such a small package that you'd want to keep it.

This is what my STC looks like with rise/fall most of the time. In this case rear fall to shoot the trees straight and jump the fence.

dchew

As others have said, the STC is just so darn versatile for its size. For the 40% on a tripod, would you mainly do rise? If so then the SWA might be the best option.

Ciao,
Dave

OliverM

The opinions converge ...
I note the difficulty to rise when handheld.
Also if I want to go further with a movement camera, I am concious it makes sense for carefully composed pictures on a tripod.
I will think further about your ideas ok combining the TC and STC, then.
Thank you, it helps me a lot.

OliverM

As others have said, the STC is just so darn versatile for its size. For the 40% on a tripod, would you mainly do rise? If so then the SWA might be the best option.

Ciao,
Dave
I think rise would be the most frequent operation, indeed.
But I must consider the overall opinion of versatility.
Thanks

danlindberg

I note the difficulty to rise when handheld.
I beg to differ. In an urban setting walking about with the SWA & 35XL over my shoulder I tend to have around 5mm rise as default. Keeping a constant eye on spiritlevels in both directions gives me in general a good compromise in keeping buildings straight and still loosing the very first and often uninteresting metres of asfalt. Unless you want Leica style shooting and put angles to every shot ;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Given that this is GetDPI the obvious solution is to follow Jurgen's example and have a TC, STC and a SWA! :ROTFL: :thumbs:

OliverM

I beg to differ. In an urban setting walking about with the SWA & 35XL over my shoulder I tend to have around 5mm rise as default. Keeping a constant eye on spiritlevels in both directions gives me in general a good compromise in keeping buildings straight and still loosing the very first and often uninteresting metres of asfalt. Unless you want Leica style shooting and put angles to every shot ;)
Strike !

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Given that this is GetDPI the obvious solution is to follow Jurgen's example and have a TC, STC and a SWA! :ROTFL: :thumbs:
"TC, STC and a SWA." Or a TC and a Max.
Let me add the following :

"TC , STC , SWA and MAX" . I love them all .

Currently , the TC is my preferred baby .
I am still not used to that little thing but have noticed , that I would like to put it in my trouser pocket , but can't . :ROTFL:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Sorry , my last post might be misleading .:talk028:
I have no ALPA MAX and will NOT go for one . That is for sure .