The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

Gently reviving this since I am going to jump into the inferno....
Why would one want an Alpa WA (not SWA) instead of an SWA or a TC?
What does the WA offer apart from looks?
Can one not attach two rosewoods to the TC to give a similar profile or balance?

Thanks !!!
I would pick the SWA over the WA for even better looks :)

Even if you shoot with lenses without shift capability, you would never know whether you would add more lenses in the future.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Personally if I were looking at the SWA, beautiful as it is as a work of art, I'd take a step back and consider what I wanted in terms of shifting capabilities. Then, I'd buy an STC ...

With respect to the dual hand grips, nice to have but unless you are walking around shooting handheld as if holding an old speed graphic press camera, I would question how necessary they are. If you have a single right side hand grip and cradle the lens in your left hand you can achieve pretty much a solid grip on the camera to shoot handheld. I've certainly done this before with my TC as a walk around package and it worked fine.

jlm

Workshop Member
The biggest disadvantage to an otherwise spectacular camera, the Hasselblad SWC, is the lack of rise/fall.

Pelorus

As someone who loved the Hassie SWC as a walk-around camera, I've now moved happily to the STC. I thought long and hard about which Alpa, and finally took some advice from a long time professional user. I think the STC is the best balance between movements and portability. Better movement capability than the SWA but more portable than the Max.