The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Free live fashion webinar Tuesday Nov' 20th

yaya

Tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov' 20th we'll be running a live webinar with Frank Doorhof where he will be talking and showing some of his secrets shooting fashion and portraits and how he uses lighting and cameras. Frank uses a Credo 60 on a 645DF. This is a free webinar and everyone is welcome to join. More info and a link for registration HERE

Join in!

Yair

Hi Yair,
Just watched parts of it (while editing) and it would be great to hear more about the Credo back and why it is good to be used in fashion shoots.
For example, in jumping shots the model's feet were too blurry, and it would be helpful to see how the back syncs with higher shutter speeds. I'm not a fashion photographer, but I'm sure it's important to keep every detail like hair or cloths sharp in action shots like that one.
(If this topic was covered and I missed it, then I'm really sorry for saying this!)

I'm in the process of upgrading to medium format and I didn't take much out of this webinar. I don't know who your target audience was, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it felt more like introduction to studio lighting for beginners, rather than useful info for professionals who consider upgrading to Credo.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi Yair,
I'm in the process of upgrading to medium format and I didn't take much out of this webinar. I don't know who your target audience was, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it felt more like introduction to studio lighting for beginners, rather than useful info for professionals who consider upgrading to Credo.
Such information would probably be better conveyed to you by an in-person or web based 1v1 demo. We (Digital Transitions) do at least two a week in our Remote Demo Center using audio+video+screen+raw sharing. Such a format allows 100% of the material covered to be relevant to your needs. A webinar like the one Yair posted is a really great introductory level webinar, and also a great change to interact with a particular photographer (and a really good one at that).

Also, avoiding blur in a jumping shot taken in a studio is 80% about the flash duration and only 20% about the flash sync speed. The ability to sync at higher sync speeds is a REALLY useful tool, but this is not the application for which it is absolutely essential.

I'd be happy to discuss flash duration with you at length, as it's a much trickier topic than it seems at first blush (with different manufacturers specifying flash duration with different measurement standards and with some packs using different methods to achieve those durations and different ways to sync to those flash systems effecting the way the end result looks).

yaya

Hi Yair,
Just watched parts of it (while editing) and it would be great to hear more about the Credo back and why it is good to be used in fashion shoots.
For example, in jumping shots the model's feet were too blurry, and it would be helpful to see how the back syncs with higher shutter speeds. I'm not a fashion photographer, but I'm sure it's important to keep every detail like hair or cloths sharp in action shots like that one.
(If this topic was covered and I missed it, then I'm really sorry for saying this!)

Hi kravetzphoto,

First, thank you for taking the time and watching the session. We've only recently started running these sessions and we are taking it step by step so naturally the early ones are aimed at a wide audience but we will have more focused, specific ones in the future covering architecture, landscape, tabletop, cars etc.

On the webinars page you can find one that was done 2 months ago with Lois Greenfield talking about her dance photography. She also touches the subject of motion freeze and how she achieves it with the equipment she uses

As Doug mentions there are many variables involved. In general a short flash duration helps and would normally require low power settings. At hi power settings the duration gets longer and that's where a leaf shutter camera/ lens can make a difference.

In Frank's session he was using a focal plane shutter lens and the camera sync'ed at 1/125th. As there was quite a lot of ambient light and as the flash was set to high power you could see a little bit of blur on the model's feet. This is sometimes a desirable effect as it gives a sense of motion. It can be eliminated completely however with certain techniques as Lois describes in her session

Again thank you for taking the time and please feel free to contact me with questions or comments/ feedback

Best

Yair

Just watched the other video. It was very interesting for me because I was a ballet dancer myself and now photograph them once in a while too. Thank you, Yair. Will look forward to more videos from you.

adamduckworth

As Yair said, flash durations gets longer the more power you dial in... in some studio flashes but not all.
In some, it's the opposite and they get faster the more power you dial in.
And in others, the duration varies up and down as more power is dialled in, and different capacitors inside come into play.
Just sayin...

fotografz

As Yair said, flash durations gets longer the more power you dial in... in some studio flashes but not all.
In some, it's the opposite and they get faster the more power you dial in.
And in others, the duration varies up and down as more power is dialled in, and different capacitors inside come into play.
Just sayin...
Hi Adam, I'm very interested in this subject and how it differs with various lighting solutions. Can you elaborate? Which units shorten durations when power is increased. That would be a very useful feature!

Thanks in advance,

-Marc

Tibor

Which units shorten durations when power is increased.
Hi Marc,

I own Profoto AcuteB2`s, but before buying them two years ago I made my research and found out that Alien Bees have this.

For example (all t.5) AlienBees B400 has 1/6000 second at full power and 1/3000 second at 1/32 power.

All is explained here.

Tibor

Tibor

Which ones?

-Marc
Hi Marc,

With Elinchrom I think this is specific to their monobloc (not pack & head) series.

For example (all t 0.5) Style RX 300 has 1/2850 second at full power and 1/1350 second at 1/32 power. Similar with RX 600 and RX 1200.

Tibor

Dustbak

Indeed the RX series but AFAIK also the Ranger. I never actually tested it though.

I have owned nearly every light made by Elinchrom. When I needed short flash duration I grabbed either the RX Speed or a Quadra. I am now using Profoto ( with a lot of Elinchrom modifiers).

fotografz

Indeed the RX series but AFAIK also the Ranger. I never actually tested it though.

I have owned nearly every light made by Elinchrom. When I needed short flash duration I grabbed either the RX Speed or a Quadra. I am now using Profoto ( with a lot of Elinchrom modifiers).
Me too. Mostly Profoto with the excellent Rotalux modifiers using the new Profoto Rotalux speed-ring. So easy to transport and set-up/tear-down.

Fast t.5 times are a bit mis-leading ... sigh ... wish I had the dough for a B4 :rolleyes:

-Marc

Dustbak

The only reequest I made to Elinchrom is to make the carrying bags of the Rotalux softboxes 1cm longer on the broad side so it fits a little bit better with the new Rotalux adapter for Profoto attached. I now have to use a bit more force than I really want to to get it in.

EH21

This is correct and when I watched the video, I couldn't believe Frank was still talking about this. I mean you could see the blur in the model's feet. He and I debated this on the forums several years back and I went and actually measured the flash duration on my D4 packs using a mumford time machine and fast photo cell. I posted the results and we wrote about it and he still is getting it wrong years later. There *may* be one or two packs out there get faster with higher power settings, but I've never seen one. Almost all flashes get slower. There are packs that allow you to set the flash speed, but that cuts down the output some.

Dustbak

Frank is probably used to the Elinchrom strobes that have this, the Profoto packs he is using in the video actually get slower with more power.

EH21

I should back up and make it clear, that Frank is talented and clearly knows a lot about lighting and my comments were made strictly about the flash duration s. Still.... he had the measured times for the D4...