The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital infraRed!

V

Vivek

You very well might. The point is for photography with the Achromatic+ sensor or the "full spectrum" modified ones. Even Achromatic site appears to be in error when it comes to lenses and filters.

If you do not want to add anything useful that is fine (see the OP).

V

Vivek

Right now I am looking into several narrowband lightings with LED´s. Quite interesting. This is fun to do and even cheap, there are UV "Camplights"for 10 to 20 € .

Megavisions Multispectral emitters also work like this. there are
UV 365nm
Visible 445,470,505,530,570,617,625 nm
and IR 700,735,780,870,,940,1050 nm

This concept is even more interesting as it needs no filters at all, as long as the lens is transmitting the spectral range.

regards
Stefan
Well, Stefan, at least we have come to an understanding that a lens needs to transmit UV in order to record UV. :thumbs:

I have seen the Megavision set up and have talked to Will who makes those.
The UV LEDs they use are exactly the ones I use. They are from Nichia and cost >$125/each for the bare emitter. Even these need filtration (there is a very small blue leak).

All the others that sell for a few $ on eBay just making good conversation pieces.

Shashin

Here is a stitched pano using a Pentax 645D and a B+W IR filter. The sky is uneven. I have not done a lot of work with near IR with the 645D.

aeaemd

Did anybody use the chromatic+ and the Megavision E6 and E7? If yes, what are the differences? It seems they use the same sensor and what makes the achromatic better when it comes to long exposure (noise wise)?
I have the achromatic back and I researched the E7, the advantages in favor of the phase one, in my humble photo-enthusiast opinion, are the ease of use (no need for a tablet to drag around) and long exposure performance.

Amr

Stefan Steib

@AMR

You summoned this up quite good already, but the point is these are two different purpose systems. The Megavision solution is a stationary solution mostly for inhouse, repro, scientific and studio work. The advantage is also from the software with multichannel (as many as you want and can define freely!) and standard formats that go into image databases and also offer an interface for software in these areas (open source serverbased unix solutions mostly develloped on universities and scrientific institutions). The Backs come as units with a dedicated lighting system when you want this , the software will do the management of the LED lighting for Multispectral.
The Achromatic plus is a derivat from a commercial photography back that got the BW version of the otherwise used color chip from Kodak that is used by the P45+. there is no such specialized software and analysis interface as the megavision software, you are using Capture One to access the images.
This is not a fault, but simply another league of purpose.

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Update, after getting several cheap (ranging from 10 € to 40 € UV,IR and monochromatic LED emitters) lamps from Ebay I can say this is big fun. The most expensive thing in this setup is my Heliopan UV filter, I know there may be better ones but these are even more expensive, the results are already pretty good with the Heliopan. I tried this in the dark and then there are no IR peaks from the surrounding, the effect is pretty amazing, I tried it on my teeth and could clearly see the plastic or ceramic inlays differ from the original teeth, it´s also a matter of material you look at, when they are really equaly the differences may become better visible with a shorter wavelength. I also am using some old Nikkor EL lenses now, these are even better for UV, 63mm,75mm and 80mm(even with infinity).

The IR filters I have go from Orange, Dark red/visible ,720nm, 760nm, 860nm and 920nm, I need to check some more light sources but so far you can really use the Canon 5D MK2 in total darkness as a nighvision device now on Liveview. I will also look into terrarium lamps, IR Bulbs and cosmetical nail hardeners (which are sold cheaply and should be significantly shorter (UV-B) than the bluish LED Flashlights and Discolights.

Overall: fascinating ! Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn something new. Costs very limited- you just need a converted Camera, this service is done at several shops, In Germany I highly recommend Optik Maccario in Mönchengladbach. He told me he can also do MF Backs !
am thinking of converting (hopefully soon) my eMotion 75LV

regards
Stefan