The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital infraRed!

aeaemd

Hi All

I figured it is time to have a thread about digital IR. I have been playing around with different IR options. I started with converted Nikon cameras, the latest is the full spectrum D800.
My favorite is the full spectrum leaf, I started with 33 and now I have the Credo 80mp full spectrum.
I will post pictures as I figure out the best way to do so, my pics always come out small and degraded on this site.
I figured we start a thread to share our equipments including cameras and filters and of course pics.

Amr

Stefan Steib

Hi Amr

I use a converted Canon 5D MK2 and I have done some IR (and UV)work with the Achromatic +. Right now I am digging more into the UV direction but the IR stuff definitely is fascinating.

I used it for material analysis (watermarks on ancient papers) and Paintings for customers here in Germany, Bavarian State Library and Museum Brandhorst and some others.

I can also point to the Megavision multispectral systems, using UV and IR lighting with dedicated narrow bandwidth illumination.

regards
Stefan

aeaemd

Stefan

What filters do you use for the IR and "true cut"? Have you experimented with no filter?
I also have the phase one achromatic, I am still experimenting with it mainly finding the sweet spot for focus in different spectra &/or filters.
I tried to get Megavision E7, but, they are so busy and it took they few months to respond.

Amr

Stefan Steib

I have some Heliopan filters (IR and UV) as well as some chinese IR Nonames (I use 86mm size which are a fortune from the normal makers) for which I didn´t see much difference until now.

The biggest problem so far with the Zeiss IR lenses I used was the large focus differences with the IR spectrum. This is ok when you work with the canon, but makes usage with the Achromatic+ limited to tethered shooting.

Regards
Stefan

V

Vivek

Stefan, Sorry to point this out, once again- your "UV shot" is unlikely an UV shot but an IR shot for these two reasons:

1. The lens you used would hardly transmit any UV.

2. The filter you used also transmits a lot of IR.

V

Vivek

Yes and the conclusions are the same. I feel the achromatic +and such deserve proper techniques.

Shashin

Very interesting Stefan. Thanks for the link. While not for the same thing, we had some interesting results shooting clams under UV using autofluorescence to show growth rings.

Stefan Steib

Right now I am looking into several narrowband lightings with LED´s. Quite interesting. This is fun to do and even cheap, there are UV "Camplights"for 10 to 20 € .

Megavisions Multispectral emitters also work like this. there are
UV 365nm
Visible 445,470,505,530,570,617,625 nm
and IR 700,735,780,870,,940,1050 nm

This concept is even more interesting as it needs no filters at all, as long as the lens is transmitting the spectral range.

regards
Stefan

Shashin

Fluorescence, generally, is visible light imaging..
Really? Is that why I cannot see the UV output from my fluorescence illuminator. Autofluorescence tends to be in the UV.

V

Vivek

In that case, how exactly did you photograph it? Which camera, lens, filter? What was your irradiation source? Could you see the fluorescence with your naked eyes? Without all that it is all a mystery under the heading of "UV photography".

V

Vivek

So, no details to offer on the UV induced UV fluoresence you were talking about?

While not exactly new, it is extraordinarily rare and difficult.