The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

6008/P20

jlm

Workshop Member
finally got out there to try out my new rig. weather was Moabian: windy and in the 20's.
shot with the 40mm Schneider

jlm

Workshop Member
I had to climb a 20' dirt pile to get this view, maybe more when I can get better access.

jlm

Workshop Member
seems very good, but i am just getting started with it. it is heavier and bulkier, has sharper edges, lenses seem extremely nice. had to buy a -1 diopter from Franke and Heideke in Germany, as i couldn't find one in the US. i faxed them, e-mailed my ccard info and had the thing in 2 days. the finder is quite bright and with the diopter is easy to focus. too damn cold today to wring it out, but i am satisfied. can't wait to try the 110 and 180, and of course, wish there was something wider than 40mm. those ships are huge and you can only get back so far. i've been waiting for a month to get at that Chemical Pioneer, but have been too busy. it has a really odd pair of bow anchor "knockers"
so far, the phase back is almost the same as the CFV

Paratom

John-if you say "almost" what do you mean exactly?
The images here look great. However different compared to those from the cfv thread.
I dont know which ones I like better. I found the ones in the cfv thread maybe a tad more alife, more "film"-like, more "heart" maybe a little warmer on the color side? and the ones in this thread maybe a little clearer and "open" maybe more neutral.
I have no idea why, just my impression - please keep posting more images.
Tom

seems very good, but i am just getting started with it. it is heavier and bulkier, has sharper edges, lenses seem extremely nice. had to buy a -1 diopter from Franke and Heideke in Germany, as i couldn't find one in the US. i faxed them, e-mailed my ccard info and had the thing in 2 days. the finder is quite bright and with the diopter is easy to focus. too damn cold today to wring it out, but i am satisfied. can't wait to try the 110 and 180, and of course, wish there was something wider than 40mm. those ships are huge and you can only get back so far. i've been waiting for a month to get at that Chemical Pioneer, but have been too busy. it has a really odd pair of bow anchor "knockers"
so far, the phase back is almost the same as the CFV

Graham Mitchell

wish there was something wider than 40mm. those ships are huge and you can only get back so far.
I'm afraid that this is the downside of the P20 - there is a 1.55 crop factor on these lenses. Perhaps some day you can upgrade to a back with a larger sensor?

jlm

Workshop Member
way too soon for me to say anything about the backs. i still have to diddle around with the raw conversions; that green is too warm. i thought i had the back set to daylight, but i think the kelvin varied among the shots when seen in C1. i was too cold to be carefully examining the P20 screen.
what i liked about the CFV was the rich color and dynamic range and so far the P20 seems every bit as good. i certainly no expert however.

Graham:
i'm a fan of the sq format...it is tough to see the full 6x6 in the finder and know you are losing the outer margin. i wasn't aware there was a larger image sq sensor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
John from what i have seen is your CFV images tended to be very warm in color temp and the Phase is actually more accurate . Your whites are dead on in these. If anything Phase comes in around 5100 to 5300 kelvin just about perfect in that range. Try it in C1 and you will see. Now if you want to match your CFV files than just adjust the kelvin down a little to the warm side. The DMR was very warm and most folks like images to be on the warm side, it does make it a little more warm and fuzzy looking. Matter of preference.

Digitalcameraman

way too soon for me to say anything about the backs. i still have to diddle around with the raw conversions; that green is too warm. i thought i had the back set to daylight, but i think the kelvin varied among the shots when seen in C1. i was too cold to be carefully examining the P20 screen.
what i liked about the CFV was the rich color and dynamic range and so far the P20 seems every bit as good. i certainly no expert however.

Graham:
i'm a fan of the sq format...it is tough to see the full 6x6 in the finder and know you are losing the outer margin. i wasn't aware there was a larger image sq sensor

On that P20 back under WB white balance, try to create a custom white balance. The P backs allow you to save 3 under the custom setting. This allows you to get a much closer white balance even when shooting to a CF card. I have a lot of people that want a closer color balance when shooting to a CF card and this can be used to achieve this in the Phase One camera back. Sure you can always set a custom white balance in the 3.7 or 4.5 software but this brings the image in at a more accurate balance. I think you will see less yellow in the greens and the over all yellow cast will be reduced, making a much cleaner image.

Check your PDF that shows this in the Phase One documentation and it will list the steps on how to do that.

Chris Snipes
Phase One Reseller

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

Phase One Test Studio

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks for the tips.
I will set that custom Wb on the back, it is always easier the closer it is in the can. by the way, the CFV was consistently off. in post i had to set each shot down from the as shot (daylight) 5500 to about 4750 and add a bit of magenta

Guy; i did a quick color balance by eye in C1 and i agree the white looks right on, but the green in the shot is not the same as the ship. when i get a chance i will play around some more.

if i can get to it (it is 22 degrees right now!) i will take out the XACT2 which uses the same Rollei lenses and i can put on the P20 or the CFV. should make an interesting comparison.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

John sneak a shot of a macbeth Color chart in a shot or the Whibal cards. Try to get a reference to WB off of. For me 90 percent of the time I just put the back on daylight when outside and usually it is darn close. The P20 and P25 plus which i have i believe have the same sensor

Guy Mancuso

John try something for me and see if it improves instead of WB off the white , try doing a WB under the anchor the dark shadow area in C1. I noticed a shift in PS when doing that on the black point. Sometimes what can happen is color casts from neighboring colors can spill into the white area and throw things off.

jlm

Workshop Member
i was being sloppy on the first go around. here is the correct green to my eye and WB was set via the picker off the white shape just below and to the left of the anchor. very simple

loaded both for a side by side

jlm

Workshop Member
from this am: an 20" diameter overhead pipe from the seawater pumps, long out of use

Last edited: