The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The tech cam tripod head question...

tjv

Hi all,

I've been looking at new geared tripod heads to use with my Linhof Techno.
I've narrowed it down to two options but wonder if anyone has experience with them using tech cams that might be able to sway me either way...

I'm looking at the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head and the Linhof 3D Micro geared head.

I know the Linhof only goes to 12 degrees on each axis, and this doesn't really bother me, but I guess there might be the odd occasion where a bit more versatility would come in handy. I'm not too keen on the Cube as it's too expensive and physically large. (Linhof stuff is way cheaper through Paula at Linhof & Studio than via the US.)

I can't seem to ascertain what the load capacity of the D4 is and if it will work well when mounted on a Gitzo 3 or 4 series systematic tripod – I seem to remember reading that the base pan (?) leaver lock can't be rotated properly, or is very difficult to turn, when mounted on a tripod that has a larger base.

Essentially, I just need some opinions from people who use these products with MFD and / or technical cameras and some guidance on why one might be better than the other.

Thanks all!

TJV

tjv

What about resilience to vibration when used with a MFD SLR type camera? I'm assuming the Linhof 3D Micro head would be better in this regard as the camera is not sitting raised on a stem?

A techno isn't going to stress ANY of the heads you mention.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
CUBE. CUBE. CUBE.
Well, as Jack said. Buy a cube once and you're done. Period.

That said, the linhof 3D head looks pretty comparable (in cost too I believe actually). For tech and dslrs for landscape/still life/architecture the cube is really a zero thought effort so long as you can stomach the upfront cost. Buy any of the others and be unhappy and it'll cost you more in the long run IMHO.

tjv

Actually, the Cube is a lot more expensive if you buy the Linhof from the UK. I know everyone seems to think the Cube is the best, and it most probably is, but... why?

GrahamWelland

I've played with the linhof and it seems just as good to be honest. I'm not sure if it'll do the full 90 degree tilt but I very very rarely use that.

The cube is just the default easy answer because you absolutely positively know that it'll do the job - forever. Now I wouldn't shoot sports & action with it ...

GrahamWelland

What's great about the cube?

Precision.
Stability.
Reliability.
Rock solid performance.
If you break it, Arca or their agents will fix it. (I know from experience).

It's boring and reliable and just is a smooth, precise, zero play, solid tripod head if you want gearing. I think that just about anybody who has ever tried my Cube has immediately responded with the ooh ahh lustful reaction to the Rolls Royce feel of the thing. (Ditto Linhof though - I haven't tried the D4 but I would assume similar).

Are there alternatives? Sure. I'd definitely consider either the D4 and linhof if I didn't have the Cube. There's nothing wrong with any of these premium heads to be honest. It's just a choice for the long term of the known reliable good vs the new comers (which may be as good or even better).

Hope that kind of helps. It sounds like you're gravitating towards the Linhof and I'd deal with Paula at the Linhof centre for local support if i were still in the UK vs more expensive imports any day. Service and support matters.

tjv

Thanks, Graham.

I bought my Techno kit from Paula and she was awesome. Really helpful. I've had a brief exchange with her about the Linhof head and she speaks very highly of it. I guess I got thinking about alternatives because the Linhof head only tilts 12 degrees vs. the more extreme tilts of the D4 / Cube. I think it's pretty much certainty that the Cube is a "better" head – considering the 90 degree tilt and 30 degree geared movements, but that certainly comes at financial cost, doesn't it?

Thanks again,

Tim

GrahamWelland

I'm not sure that I'd use the term "better" - at this level they are all good and it is just a choice over which is the best for you. They are all precision instruments. I think that you just have to find a way to try them. Luckily a friend of mine has the Linhof so I've actually used that but not the D4. Get Robert White or Linhof Studio to do the sales work for you :)

tjv

Thanks, Graham. I think you're right. They're all great products. I think the Linhof is the way I'm heading. Just want someone to tell me I'm right or persuade me to save money and get the D4! Ah, the luxury of choice!

yatlee

I have both the Linhof 3D micro and Arca D4. I still prefer the Linhof especially now you can get arca/Dove Tail option. The Linhof has smoother movement than the D4 and absolutely rock solid.

Say hi to Paula for me when you talk to her..

tjv

Thanks, Yat!

Did you buy your Techno from Paula? I read in the other Tech cam thread that you have the 70mm HR. How do you like it? Does it hold up well with movements on your IQ back?

T

I have both the Linhof 3D micro and Arca D4. I still prefer the Linhof especially now you can get arca/Dove Tail option. The Linhof has smoother movement than the D4 and absolutely rock solid.

Say hi to Paula for me when you talk to her..

Also use the Linhof head after playing with Yat's one. I can't say it is better than anything else (as I haven't used any other geared heads) but I certainly didn't spend any time time thinking about tripod heads since I got it. It's there and works well.

I also have the adapter to rotate/mount the camera horizontally, have done about 300 graphics reproductions using it on a 5 series Gitzo, which has so far saved me from buying a studio stand (an electronic shutter would be far higher priority if that sort of thing comes through more often).

I also recommend Paula. She's put me right on many many things, a wealth of knowledge and very nice person. Conveniently lives about 1/2hr drive from my parents place in the UK, so I get to swing by her place once a year and put the face to the name.

yatlee

No, I didn't buy the Techno from Paula, but I bought lenses and other accessories from her over the years. I have all the HR-W lenses (32, 40, 50, 70, 90). Don't ask me why I have all of them, please ;-). The 70mm holds up really well on the IQ back, but 40/50mm reminds my favorite.

Stefan Steib

If you want to spend a bit less then there are good alternatives.
If weight is no problem take a look at the Manfrotto 400 Geared head:

HD Geared Head With RC Plates - 400PL-Low, 400PL-M, 400PL-Hi 400 - Geared | Manfrotto

if you have a bit lighter camera use the smaller one:
Pro Digital Geared Head With Rc4 Rapid Connect Plate (410Pl) 405 - Geared | Manfrotto

the prices on their shop are high, speak with your dealers you will get significantly better conditions.

The Linhof 3D Micro is very similar to the Arca- it seems to me it´s even more robust and sturdy, the price is around 1000-1100 € here in Germany
that´s a lot less than the Arca
http://linhof.de/download_e/Linhof_3D_Micro_2011_engl-internet.pdf

The cube is nice, but it´s expensive. As so many people are using it there is a reason why. But I dare to mention that there is the Photoclam "copy" which is also only 1100 € and as I have taken a look to it even improved to the Arca, I think the finish(Elox and paintwork) is better, they have the big buttons, one´s standard, order the second one as extra for some bucks (a must !)
http://photoclam.en.ec21.com/MultiFlex_Geared_Tripod_Head--4530072_4521844.html

And then I know this will not be without dissense, but I personally really work more with a big ballhead. It´s so much faster. Of course the exact leveling will need some training but if you do this regularly.....

There is a really nice one fromPhotoclam also for around 450 €
PhotoClam PC-74NS Ballhead Photo Clam PC74NS 100kg Load | eBay

I use an old Benbo ballhead since 25 years, similar to the arca ball for Viewcameras, there are also some nice ones from Novoflex.
To boil it down : It´s a matter of taste and personal workflow also.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

MILESF

I have the Cube but have almost completely switched over to the D4 Geared. It's lighter than the Cube and I find it just as easy to use. it's less expensive too.

tjv

Thanks, guys.

MILESF: How easy do you find making fine movements with the D4 compared to the cube? What camera do you use it with and do you think it's a "buy once and forget about it" kind of purchase?

tjv

I need not ask you why you have all of the lenses because I'd suffer the same problem if I was given free rein by the bank...
The 32mm looks pretty crazy but I haven't heard any reports of people using it. That's the problem living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, there's nowhere I can go look at these things in person. Hense asking so many questions here! :cool:

No, I didn't buy the Techno from Paula, but I bought lenses and other accessories from her over the years. I have all the HR-W lenses (32, 40, 50, 70, 90). Don't ask me why I have all of them, please ;-). The 70mm holds up really well on the IQ back, but 40/50mm reminds my favorite.

cly

I have a cube and I'm quite happy with it but I'm not totally convinced of it. But: For my kind of work I'd never go back to an ungeared head.

Re 30/90 degrees vs. 12 on the Linhof: sometimes the Cube's 90 degress come in handy but it's not as stable as you might expect. Depending on your typical exposure times this may be a problem or not. For me, it is. If you need this kind of orientation, this "Angled Device for Linhof 3D Micro" might give you the same on the Linhof head. It's another piece of equipment but perhaps it's more stable.

On the cube the knobs are quite small and a bit stiff (at least on mine, even after two years of usage). I'd definitely prefer a more finger-friendly design. I suspect this is better on the Linhof head.

I had a short look at the D4: it's nice as it's smaller but, at least with the copy I could check, the gearing of the Cube feels much better. This particular D4 didn't run smoothly.

In Europe/Germany, the current prices of the three heads are quite close. Cube 1199 EUR plus VAT, D4 959 EUR plus VAT. Linhof Studio/UK offers the Linhof head for about 1000 EUR.

Note that you can get the Linhof head with an adapter for Arca-style plates.

If you need longer exposure times, I'd definitely try to test the head you would like to get with your camera and your worst case shutter speed. And I would do this in all possible orientations of head and camera.

Chris

Last edited: