The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The tech cam tripod head question...

aeaemd

I have and use both the cube and the linhof 3d on the techno. If you haven't used the cube before, I recommend the 3d with techno because all the knobs and the movements feel the same on the camera and the head. I use an adapter so I can use the Arca plates on 3D. However, if 3D is the only head you will have, no need for that. 3D is more secure than the cube, it is difficult to accidentally dismount the camera.

geesbert

I bought the photoclam multiflex, which is the korean copycat version of the cube, when the cube was still around 2500€. I paid around 900€ shipped to Germany then.

I must say I have a constant bad feeling about supporting theft of design, meanwhile I tried the Original a couple of times, but I prefer the photoclam. It gave me 5 years of great service, some things are even improved upon the arca cube:

- the Arca cube's clamp sucks. it's fiddly and hard to open
- the finish makes it look always greasy
- the knobs are easier to turn on the multiclam as they provide stick on larger ones. the Arca's knobs are small and stiff
- I certainly don't have the need for an expensive leather case, at the time it only came as a set
- it is much easier to communicate with photoclam than with arca swiss. My emails got never answered and don't get me started on the webpage!

I had on internal bit broken on the multiflex when I dropped the tripod on the head. Photoclam replaced it for free, the head was sent to Korea and back to Germany within 4 days.

Just recently I bought the d4 to go with a gitzo serie3 systematic as a lightweight option. I actually ordered it directly from arca swiss at Photokina 2010, promised to be delivered 6 weeks later, but staying in contact with them was not possible, noe emails or calls were returned. I bought it from a dutch dealer 4 months ago.

it is a fantastic head, it is confusing to use besides the cube/multiflex, as the knob configuration to turned by 90°.
Open the kobs, grab onto your camera and move it to where you want, close the gearing knobs and fine adjust, just beautifull. now I see no reason to us a ballhead anymore. I even used it as a video head once, as you can only lock one axis and keep the other free.
Again the QR clamp sucks, replace it with a RRS one.

The manfrotto geared heads, about alright, but compared to the d4/cube/multiflex much less precise. and the stupid manfrotto quick releas system feels very outdated. I had a RRS clamp on top of the quick release, didn't help stability.

HenryDove

TJV,

I went for the D4 and use it on a 3541XLS with my H3D-II 50 and HTS. It is cheaper than the Cube, smooth and robust (at least mine is!), lighter, and you can unlock the geared movements for rapid adjustments and lock them back in for fine movements which I don't believe the Cube does. Arca rate the D4 for loads up to 30kg. I prefer it to the Cube, but I think both are fine and regret-free purchases!

Henry

gazwas

The manfrotto geared heads, about alright, but compared to the d4/cube/multiflex much less precise. and the stupid manfrotto quick releas system feels very outdated. I had a RRS clamp on top of the quick release, didn't help stability.
I know I will end up with a D4 or Cube but as much as people put down the Manfrotto geared heads I can honestly say they are excellent. Sure the gears might not be as smooth running and the 405 is a very large and cumbersome head but as for being less accurate and precise than the Arca, I just don't get it..... its geared?

I want an Arca but I really don't think its a case of I need an Arca over the 405 as I've never once thought - "I wish I could position the camera more accurately" (which I don't think you could) or while racking from 3° to 12° to frame up a shot - "I wish the action was a little smoother".

Nothing I see, hear or read about the Arca/Linhof etc makes me think it will improve my photography from my current set up but it still doesn't stop me wanting one. ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No one was talking about that little lever being stuck , but more clearence would be nice for a more comfortable handling .
Uh EXCUUUUSE ME Jot! Here is a direct cut and paste from the second sentence in the article referenced above where he very definitely claims it gets stuck -- bold-underline in the quoted text is mine:

>> A small problem arises, however, in that the panorama base lock/release lever on the C1 Cube gets stuck on the Gitzo’s generous center disk.<<

What it appears to me from the photo is there is a small lip on the Gitzo platform base that happens to be at precisely the exact point where the tip of the lever when in the loose position can cam over that lip and get lightly "stuck" there. Honestly, it doesn't appear to be able to get stuck to the point where it can't be pressed up with slight added pressure, but then I don't have one to experiment with. If I had that pod and the Cube and found it to be a problem (unlikely IMHO), I would simply make an aluminum spacer since I have the material sitting in my garage already, OR I'd file off a bit from the inside edge of the Cube's base pan lever to keep it from catching on the (stupidly designed) Gitzo base lip.

HenryDove

Gareth,

Having moved from a Manfotto to a D4 recently I have to agree on the smoothness - can't say I feel a huge difference, but having dove-tail clamp on a smaller head (as opposed to my various bodges with RRS clamps - firm but inelegant!) which doesn't foul use of the HTS on my Hasselblad, and weighing in half the 405 were key advantages. Does it improve my photography? Well, I do carry the tripod around more as it weighs less and doesn't have levers sticking out to gouge your legs at inopportune moments, so to some extent 'yes'! But in the end, it was more lust than need, but then so's my whole system!!

Henry

Henry

gazwas

But in the end, it was more lust than need, but then so's my whole system!!
Well done Sir...... now if everyone could take a moment and be honest with themselves that this was the real reason I could understand but the more accurate and precise thing just bamboozles me... :thumbup:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Uh EXCUUUUSE ME Jot! Here is a direct cut and paste from the second sentence in the article referenced above where he very definitely claims it gets stuck -- bold-underline in the quoted text is mine:

>> A small problem arises, however, in that the panorama base lock/release lever on the C1 Cube gets stuck on the Gitzo’s generous center disk.<<

What it appears to me from the photo is there is a small lip on the Gitzo platform base that happens to be at precisely the exact point where the tip of the lever when in the loose position can cam over that lip and get lightly "stuck" there. Honestly, it doesn't appear to be able to get stuck to the point where it can't be pressed up with slight added pressure, but then I don't have one to experiment with. If I had that pod and the Cube and found it to be a problem (unlikely IMHO), I would simply make an aluminum spacer since I have the material sitting in my garage already, OR I'd file off a bit from the inside edge of the Cube's base pan lever to keep it from catching on the (stupidly designed) Gitzo base lip.

Jack

YOU ARE RIGHT and I did not express myself clear enough .
No one in the thread complained about the lever being stuck .
Thats what I ment . Sorry .
But the guy in the article did . Yes . True .

I had a detailed look to my setup today . It works but is a bit of a fiddly work . So I decided to make a washer , similar to what you mention in your posting .
It will be 65mm (outer diameter) and 42mm (inner diameter) . 3mm thick .
That will raise the CUBE by 1,5mm as it is around the base diameter of the CUBE (that is 1,5mm heigh) and give more clearence and less fumbling around . Hopefully . You can not make that washer any thicker without "loosing" the length of the 3/8 base screw .
I can get that washer done with a laser cutting machine . Very precise .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jurgern,

Okay understood and we are now on the same page :) Re the 3/8 threaded stud on the Gitzo's platform --- I assume on the new Gitzo pods it's similar to the old ones in that it is a removable stud (or bolt depending on tripod style) and you could therefore simply get a longer one to replace the existing one?

dizzyg44

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Outside the Cube I used the Arca Swiss Z1 DP. I'm actually back to using it. Personally I think the best ball head in the business tech cam or not. I used it on the tech cam with much success as with my IQ 160 using the backs level system with great accuracy. It's also rated at 130 lbs which I never had a issue with the ball head not holding like a rock. The cube is the most popular head for a tech cam, not that you can't successively use anything else. It's a matter of what style you like to work with as well.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgern,

. . . . the 3/8 threaded stud on the Gitzo's platform --- I assume on the new Gitzo pods it's similar to the old ones in that it is a removable stud (or bolt depending on tripod style) and you could therefore simply get a longer one to replace the existing one?
That was my first idea as well but it turned out to be not true .
The center stud is a rather complicated piece of threads and I can't see how I could remove it . It would have been too good to be true .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow, sounds like Gitzo really screwed the pooch design-wise on this latest tripod revision.

neil

The linhof head looks to use the same style of knob as my linhof m679.
I have used my linhof m679 for around ten years. The rubber on the knobs started to become sticky and degrade. It started to annoy me so much I sold the m679 as it would have been very difficult for me to send it in for service.

Not sure this comment is really relevant as you would get the tripod head serviced after a number of years. Also they may have changed the type of rubber used.

But next tripod head I buy I will get one with all metal knobs.

dchew

In regards to the panning knob interfering / almost interfering with the tripod base, my cube is the older one (it looks like they updated it sometime recently with bigger "flippers"). On mine when the pan knob is released it has a hard stop at horizontal. I.e. I cannot twist it open any more than horizontal. In addition that little lever has two small hex bolts that can be loosened to adjust its open position.

Do the newer versions not have this design? Seems to me the "stuck lever" problem is due to the open position going beyond vertical. I would simply loosen the hex bolts and rotate the flipper clockwise a few degrees to solve the problem.

Dave

Marlyn

Cube cUbe cuBe cubE CUBE !!

I use it with IQ160 / Cambo WRS-AE and Love it !

That said, the first thing I did when mine arrived, was replace the clamp with an RRS Lever clamp.

I also have it on a RRS QR plate, that attaches to the Clamp on the top of the RRS TVL24 Leveling Base.

Main reason for this, is I regularly switch from the Cube, to a Gimbal Head for using a Long Lens for wildlife (1dx / 800mm).

About the only thing that would be nice, is if it were lighter.

Regards

Mark

gazwas

Had a reply back from the owner of the blog page I linked to above and he confirms the issues as outlined in the article post. The pan lock does indeed move up to the 12 o'clock position to lock the head but catches a lot on the Gitzo top plate. Totally possible but a total pain and not great it would seem.

The Cube in question is recently purchased so possibly Arca has changed something with the newer models?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gareth,

So basically the lip of the Cube pan release is at precisely the same distance from the centre as the lip of the top plate and so when releasing the pan it'll catch on the top plate external radius correct? That's certainly what it looks like to me.

So, whose fault is that precisely? The Cube has been out for a long time and so you can hardly blame Arca Swiss for that now can you? If you don't add a spacer of some type (and that example in the web post is hideously high for my liking), then you need some other solution. You could mill off a fraction of a mm from the top disk or hit the edge of the Cube pan control with the dremel - both would fix the issue, albeit at the expense of some cosmetics. What I'd recommend is doing what many of us do these days and that is to fit a RRS clamp to the top of the tripod and a RRS dovetail tripod head plate to the base of the Cube. This'll lift the head so that it'll never hit the top plate, raise the head only a few mm, plus provide a totally rigid QR for the head assembly so that you can easily swap heads /tripods and more importantly remove the Cube from the tripod when traveling. I've done this with all of my large tripods and heads and so can swap between ball head, Cube, Gitzo giant legs, RRS tripod or my steel systematic tripod at home. You end up with the very best of all worlds, no tripod binding, super rigid attachment to the tripod and portability as well.

Just sayin' ... The sky isn't falling due to Gitzo's design change and head/tripod plate interference.

gazwas

Just sayin' ... The sky isn't falling due to Gitzo's design change and head/tripod plate interference.
Hi Graham

I'm not suggesting the sky is falling in, just that what seems to be (and always was) a perfect tripod/head is not quite so straight forward combination any longer with the new Gitzo Series 5 tripods.

I'm also not looking to "blame" anyone but it should be noted for anyone searching for info on this seemingly idea combo that all is not rosey. I'm considering a cube but if after spending over £2K on a tripod and head, out of the blue I found an issue rather than doing is somersaults of joy, I'd be sorely disappointed.

Yes thankfully, there are solutions to fix this but importantly now it seems you need to buy extra bits to make it work as expected.

Last edited: