The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you had the choice

fotom

Thank you, proenca.

I have seen the differences between D800, D3x and MF. I know what you want to express.

With a D800E and the holy trinity (14-24-70-200/2,8) I could spend less money than for MF of whatever manufacturer. The results would be good and anybody could even sell the pictures for good money.

But there were several reasons for me to take MF:

- Great Viewfinder
- Better Focus System on the H3
- more resolution with a crisper sharpness
- better portraits
- more colors
- more spare in postproduction
- the possibilities to play with blur und sharpness
- higher sync times with flashlights in use

Yes, all that would be regardless if printed on 10x15 or used for the web.

But I want to print in A1 and more. My biggest project was about 3,5 x 2,5 meters.

So, thank you all for welcome me in the club of Hasselblad. For all small things I still have a Nikon with 12MP, fast AF and the same sharpness in the pictures like with the H3.

proenca

Thank you, proenca.

I have seen the differences between D800, D3x and MF. I know what you want to express.

With a D800E and the holy trinity (14-24-70-200/2,8) I could spend less money than for MF of whatever manufacturer. The results would be good and anybody could even sell the pictures for good money.

But there were several reasons for me to take MF:

- Great Viewfinder
- Better Focus System on the H3
- more resolution with a crisper sharpness
- better portraits
- more colors
- more spare in postproduction
- the possibilities to play with blur und sharpness
- higher sync times with flashlights in use

Yes, all that would be regardless if printed on 10x15 or used for the web.

But I want to print in A1 and more. My biggest project was about 3,5 x 2,5 meters.

So, thank you all for welcome me in the club of Hasselblad. For all small things I still have a Nikon with 12MP, fast AF and the same sharpness in the pictures like with the H3.
Indeed, its not just the megapixels. When I had a friend the other day babling why I didnt buy a D800 like him, I just borrowed the S2 to him and said "look through the viewfinder and just sush". He was mumbling, put the camera to his eye and then said "oh my......."

For small things, sometimes small is better : quick example ; I run a quite sucessfull Wine website and I have a small studio setup with couple of flashes, tripod, diffusors and a trusty and old... Nikon D1x. 6mp and its full glory. Used only at base iso, on a tripod, for stricly web work. Works like a charm, never missed a beat in the last 2 years, taking almost daily pictures of bottle of wines and wine products. And I love the small files :)

Marc,
Yeah for wide angle macro stuff would be great. That makes more sense as a product. It's weird that it doesn't af with a wide lens, but does with the longer ones. That's what I was told at least. It worked on the 80. Interested to hear your thoughts when you test it. Try it with the 100. It didn't seem to get much closer.

fotom

The D1x has 6MP? I believed it had 2,7... but that was the originally D1 I guess.

Yes, the small files are nice. For quick work they are fine.

fotografz

Marc,
Yeah for wide angle macro stuff would be great. That makes more sense as a product. It's weird that it doesn't af with a wide lens, but does with the longer ones. That's what I was told at least. It worked on the 80. Interested to hear your thoughts when you test it. Try it with the 100. It didn't seem to get much closer.
Will do Josh.

I'll check if retains AF with W/A lenses. I wonder if there is an exposure factor like with the 1.7X which is 1.5X therefore doesn't AF with the 300/4.5? If so, it may be that the max aperture of the wide angles like 24mm and 28mm exceeds the AF light requirement ... where the 80mm and 100mm are faster max apertures.

We'll see. I don't use AF when doing table top and macro anyway ... but AF would be cool for some more creative WA close focusing applications.

-Marc