The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H5D

Dustbak

Hasselblad has copped a bucket load of nasty following their rebadged and already obsolete looney toons camera 'idea' - instead of delivering a digital XPan :mad:

The reality is that they have also announced a new camera body some new lenses and gadgets and once again underlined the fact that the H system is the best all round complete and well thought 'system' a person can buy into.

I note also a very very fair upgrade policy from H4D to 5D on a transparent like for like basis.

Kudos Hasselblad I reckon.
Are you kidding?? The upgrade is only when you buy a H4D now, you get the right to buy a H5D when it comes out and pay the price difference. big deal if they cannot deliver the H5D yet.

No such deal for current H4D owners. upgrade pricing for a H4D60 towards a H5D60 is in the 13K euro range excluding taxes. Upgrading a 39MP Back is appr. 20K. 2 Years ago I upgraded a 39MP back for 13K towards a H4D60, now a similar upgrade costs 20K? talk about inflation....

The battery clip for my H4D60 where is it??????

I have today told my dealer I am not upgrading at this point against these conditions.

I rather spend my money on a B4, maybe even 2 and treat myself to some nice modifiers too.

PeterA

Are you kidding?? The upgrade is only when you buy a H4D now, you get the right to buy a H5D when it comes out and pay the price difference. big deal if they cannot deliver the H5D yet.

No such deal for current H4D owners. upgrade pricing for a H4D60 towards a H5D60 is in the 13K euro range excluding taxes. Upgrading a 39MP Back is appr. 20K. 2 Years ago I upgraded a 39MP back for 13K towards a H4D60, now a similar upgrade costs 20K? talk about inflation....

The battery clip for my H4D60 where is it??????

I have today told my dealer I am not upgrading at this point against these conditions.

I rather spend my money on a B4, maybe even 2 and treat myself to some nice modifiers too.
I thought the upgrade also applied to existing owners of 4D - seems silly if not the case.

I won't comment on cost of upgrade versus this versus that - I stopped playing that game when I sold out of all my Hasselblad system - pretty much every lens and every accessory etc a couple of years ago. Do I regret doing so? I think I gave my lenses away and this I regret.

Good luck with it all.

stngoldberg

I am not the Hasselblad salesman here, but it is my understanding that Hasselblad has extended the upgrade to all H4D owners. That is what I think I was told by my dealer
Stanley

fotografz

I am not the Hasselblad salesman here, but it is my understanding that Hasselblad has extended the upgrade to all H4D owners. That is what I think I was told by my dealer
Stanley
The "Upgrade Price" is IF you buy a NEW H4D now ... it gets you a camera to use, then for the retail price difference, a new one when the H5 version is available.

This is not to be confused with the "Trade In" pricing.

-Marc

stngoldberg

The "Upgrade Price" is IF you buy a NEW H4D now ... it gets you a camera to use, then for the retail price difference, a new one when the H5 version is available.

This is not to be confused with the "Trade In" pricing.

-Marc
Marc's verbiage may be correct, but the bottom line is Hasselblad will take my H4D50 in trade for a H5D50 plus a reasonable amount of cash. That is all I could ask from a camera manufacturer
Stanley

jduncan

What wireless functionality are you referring to? The Phocus Mobile app (similar to Leaf's iPhone app and Capture Pilot)?

This is different than "wireless native" as many readers would interpret that phrase, especially when comparing to the WT-5, which transmits the file direct from camera to computer rather than from the computer to iOS device.

This is not a negative. Personally I greatly prefer this computer-to-iOS method used by Hassy/Phase/Leaf as it creates a more cohesive workflow (e.g. only one copy of the file, and the ability to rate directly) and it's faster in many ways.

Hi,

You miss read me. Clearly the one that is wireless native is the 6D Just as I say and is Nikon the one that have the WT-5. Hasselblad was ahead in some aspects now Canon and Nikon have fully wireless solutions that are pretty strong and superior on some aspects.

What I was illustrating is that by focusing on a limited market medium format can be competitive and even be ahead for periods of time on key aspects.

I am not partisan, I am not trying to promote a brand. I found the partisan approach sometimes funny and some times annoying.

About PhaseOne and Leaf: The title of this tread is H5D, so I illustrated the point (medium format can be competitive) with Hasselblad examples.

Best regards,
James

gazwas

Here it is ready to attach to H5D back to run independently-no more image bank.
Oh that's a relief, the battery does exist, works as it should and the camera has firmware to support it because you've found a picture in a Hasselblad brochure. :ROTFL:

RVB

Oh that's a relief, the battery does exist, works as it should and the camera has firmware to support it because you've found a picture in a Hasselblad brochure. :ROTFL:
UK price is 324 pounds but there is no delivery date yet.. :)

fotografz

Marc's verbiage may be correct, but the bottom line is Hasselblad will take my H4D50 in trade for a H5D50 plus a reasonable amount of cash. That is all I could ask from a camera manufacturer
Stanley
This depends on what one deems "reasonable".

One man's "reasonable" is another man's "bankruptcy".

If you bought a new H4D with-in the "Trade Up" Promo time frame, (from October 10, thru Dec 31, 2012) then the price is based on the retail difference to get a H5D version available from Jan 1 to June 30, 2013. Hasselblad has line listed those "Trade UP" prices on their website:

H4D TO H5D Trade Up Promotion

These I would deem as quite reasonable depending on how long of a gap there is between getting a H4D and using it, then upgrading to a totally new camera/back. The H4D/40 to H5D/40 is only $1,000, and the H4D/50 to H5D/50 is $4,000. So one could conceivably use the H4D for 6+ months, then for only $1,000 or $4,000 start over with a new H5D.

The "Trade In" pricing is a different spread sheet ... how reasonable it is depends on how long you've had your current camera, which model it is, and where you may want to move to.

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/3516113/hb_tradein_101112.pdf

"Trading In" a H4D/50 to a H5D/50 is listed at $14,400 less any deal you can wrangle from a dealer. To some studio production shooter with 150,000 shots on his H4D/50 this may be reasonable, to an enthusiasts with 5,000 exposures, it may not.

- Marc

RVB

This depends on what one deems "reasonable".

One man's "reasonable" is another man's "bankruptcy".

If you bought a new H4D with-in the "Trade Up" Promo time frame, (from October 10, thru Dec 31, 2012) then the price is based on the retail difference to get a H5D version available from Jan 1 to June 30, 2013. Hasselblad has line listed those "Trade UP" prices on their website:

H4D TO H5D Trade Up Promotion

These I would deem as quite reasonable depending on how long of a gap there is between getting a H4D and using it, then upgrading to a totally new camera/back. The H4D/40 to H5D/40 is only $1,000, and the H4D/50 to H5D/50 is $4,000. So one could conceivably use the H4D for 6+ months, then for only $1,000 or $4,000 start over with a new H5D.

The "Trade In" pricing is a different spread sheet ... how reasonable it is depends on how long you've had your current camera, which model it is, and where you may want to move to.

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/3516113/hb_tradein_101112.pdf

"Trading In" a H4D/50 to a H5D/50 is listed at $14,400 less any deal you can wrangle from a dealer. To some studio production shooter with 150,000 shots on his H4D/50 this may be reasonable, to an enthusiasts with 5,000 exposures, it may not.

- Marc
It may be not possible for everyone but picking up a h3d-39 at a cheap price is a good idea for the trade in program.It's only 3K less than using a H4D-50 which is worth a fair bit more than a H3D-39 when buying the H5D-60 and 2K less when used against the H5D-50

fotografz

It may be not possible for everyone but picking up a h3d-39 at a cheap price is a good idea for the trade in program.It's only 3K less than using a H4D-50 which is worth a fair bit more than a H3D-39 when buying the H5D-60 and 2K less when used against the H5D-50
Yeah, some of the trade in pricing does favor those that skipped a few upgrades.

Calculating the possibilities gives me a headache.

Because I also use an S2 which has taken over many applications, my H4D/60 has been mostly used in studio and has a very low number of exposures logged. Shooting tethered in studio is more deliberate and methodical, where one may spend hours setting up, and only fire off a dozen shots in the course of a day.

It has crossed my mind to make a deal with a H3D/H3D-II owner to swap + cash to get them my coddled and babied H4D/60, and use their camera as the trade in toward a new H5D.

OOps! Now I have another headache coming on. :ROTFL:

-Marc

RVB

"It has crossed my mind to make a deal with a H3D/H3D-II owner to swap + cash to get them my coddled and babied H4D/60, and use their camera as the trade in toward a new H5D.

OOps! Now I have another headache coming on. "

Sounds like the smart move Marc..

And if a headache could ever be considered enjoyable it has to be a Medium format induced headache. ;-)

tjv

Does the above attached PDF that shows the battery pack also work with the older H4D-60? Is this the pack they promised many moons ago on the H4D release or a totally different product?

gazwas

Does the above attached PDF that shows the battery pack also work with the older H4D-60? Is this the pack they promised many moons ago on the H4D release or a totally different product?
I imagine it is the very same pack they developed for the H4 but I wouldn't bank on it working on anything other than the H5. The cynic in me says the only reason why it was never released on the H4 is because the new H5 was coming and this is a new feature of the new camera and a reason for H4 users to upgrade.

gazwas

The H4D/40 to H5D/40 is only $1,000, and the H4D/50 to H5D/50 is $4,000. So one could conceivably use the H4D for 6+ months, then for only $1,000 or $4,000 start over with a new H5D.
Are you havng a laugh! :bugeyes:

So I want to buy an H5 but because HB can't get their act together they announce a camera that if months (or years=H4D-60) off being ready so I'm offered a H4 with the same CCD but less technology in the meantime..... great.

H5 finally reaches dealers shelves and HB want me to pay an upgrade cost from the camera I didn't want to the one I originally did......?

So I have to pay full RRP on the H4 so I can take advantage of the H5 upgrade. Do HB dealers actually sell at RRP outside of the trade up programme as I very much doubt it? Sounds like a royal rip off IMO and more like a second hand car sales technique than a loyalty programme.

johnnygoesdigital

Just wait... they'll slap you in the face when the next upgrade is released with the 35-90 zoom lens a week after your purchase. Sour grapes? Oh yes...:)

Swissblad

Yeah, some of the trade in pricing does favor those that skipped a few upgrades.

Calculating the possibilities gives me a headache.

Because I also use an S2 which has taken over many applications, my H4D/60 has been mostly used in studio and has a very low number of exposures logged. Shooting tethered in studio is more deliberate and methodical, where one may spend hours setting up, and only fire off a dozen shots in the course of a day.

It has crossed my mind to make a deal with a H3D/H3D-II owner to swap + cash to get them my coddled and babied H4D/60, and use their camera as the trade in toward a new H5D.

OOps! Now I have another headache coming on. :ROTFL:

-Marc
Marc - don't temp me.....:)

Then again, those trade-ins are very seductive.

fotografz

Are you havng a laugh! :bugeyes:

So I want to buy an H5 but because HB can't get their act together they announce a camera that if months (or years=H4D-60) off being ready so I'm offered a H4 with the same CCD but less technology in the meantime..... great.

H5 finally reaches dealers shelves and HB want me to pay an upgrade cost from the camera I didn't want to the one I originally did......?

So I have to pay full RRP on the H4 so I can take advantage of the H5 upgrade. Do HB dealers actually sell at RRP outside of the trade up programme as I very much doubt it? Sounds like a royal rip off IMO and more like a second hand car sales technique than a loyalty programme.
This delayed type offer is nothing new ... other companies have used the same technique when launching new products during pre-determined trade-show periods that may not coincide with an actual delivery date for a new product.

The customer is free to make their best deal with the reseller who optionally can cut their own profit margin to increase volume just like any reseller/retailer. All Hasselblad wants is their cost to dealer price. How you work a price with your dealer is up to you.

The flip side of your negative take on all this is that if you are running a business you can get a H4D/? and use it for up to 6 months for the cost of the trade difference to a H5D/?

In the case of a H4D/40, that would be $1,000. In contrast, renting a H4D/40 for 6 months would cost $10,000 from Lens Rentals (when they had one).

In the case of a H4D/50, the 6 month difference would be $4,000 compared to rental fees of $16,000.

Even if you only waited a month to upgrade, the H4D/50 trade verse the rental would be the about the same.

So, "rip off" is a subjective term ... verses the bottom line math, which is not.

If I were running a business, (which I do), and wanted to move to Hasselblad (which I would if I didn't already have one), the math would be extremely favorable to my bottom line as opposed to waiting for the H5 and renting for the time being.

-Marc

gazwas

The flip side of your negative take on all this is that if you are running a business you can get a H4D/? and use it for up to 6 months for the cost of the trade difference to a H5D/?

In the case of a H4D/40, that would be $1,000. In contrast, renting a H4D/40 for 6 months would cost $10,000 from Lens Rentals (when they had one).

In the case of a H4D/50, the 6 month difference would be $4,000 compared to rental fees of $16,000.

Even if you only waited a month to upgrade, the H4D/50 trade verse the rental would be the about the same.

So, "rip off" is a subjective term ... verses the bottom line math, which is not.

If I were running a business, (which I do), and wanted to move to Hasselblad (which I would if I didn't already have one), the math would be extremely favorable to my bottom line as opposed to waiting for the H5 and renting for the time being.
Not trying to be negative but I don't see why this is viewed as such a good deal unless of course it boils down to the H5 being a lot more expensive than the camera it replaces and hence why HB want more money. Will a H5D-50 be $4K more than a H4D-50?

My view is if by your logic I rent a camera (H4D-50) for 6 months solid, it costs me $16K. If the demand for a MFD camera was that high in my business wouldn't I already have purchased or be looking to purchase one outright (H5)?

I go to my dealer for the newly released H5 only to find its is not out for a couple of months so I'm offered the H4 but if I want an H5 I have to pay again. If it really is coming at the beginning of next year, wouldn't it just be easier to wait for the H5 to arrive and negotiate a better price with my dealer at the H5 release and continue using what ever system I'd ben using up until this point?

I could understand it being great if this offer was for existing HB owners but from what I understand it is only open to people buying new cameras.

From memory so this might be wrong but don't Phase One release cameras and offer the use of a similar model eg. buy a IQ160 and you got a P65+ (IQ were delivered within a couple of months after release) until the camera arrived? IQ160 arrives and you just swapped the back.