The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H5D

malmac

From memory so this might be wrong but don't Phase One release cameras and offer the use of a similar model eg. buy a IQ160 and you got a P65+ (IQ were delivered within a couple of months after release) until the camera arrived? IQ160 arrives and you just swapped the back.

Well that is what I did - P65 for about four months and then we got the IQ 180 - but there were dollars involved - we paid for the P65 and then paid the extra dollars for the upgrade to the IQ -

fotografz

Not trying to be negative but I don't see why this is viewed as such a good deal unless of course it boils down to the H5 being a lot more expensive than the camera it replaces and hence why HB want more money. Will a H5D-50 be $4K more than a H4D-50?

My view is if by your logic I rent a camera (H4D-50) for 6 months solid, it costs me $16K. If the demand for a MFD camera was that high in my business wouldn't I already have purchased or be looking to purchase one outright (H5)?

I go to my dealer for the newly released H5 only to find its is not out for a couple of months so I'm offered the H4 but if I want an H5 I have to pay again. If it really is coming at the beginning of next year, wouldn't it just be easier to wait for the H5 to arrive and negotiate a better price with my dealer at the H5 release and continue using what ever system I'd ben using up until this point?

I could understand it being great if this offer was for existing HB owners but from what I understand it is only open to people buying new cameras.

From memory so this might be wrong but don't Phase One release cameras and offer the use of a similar model eg. buy a IQ160 and you got a P65+ (IQ were delivered within a couple of months after release) until the camera arrived? IQ160 arrives and you just swapped the back.
I guess you don't track this stuff. The new price of the H4D reflects the price reduction they did some months ago ... obviously to reduce inventory prior to the H5D.

You miss the business point ... If I had the production levels to get a new MFD camera or what-ever the motivation may be ... like quality, or an impending assignment that justifies it ... and I actually wanted a H5, which isn't available in time ... rather than rent a H4D or any other MFD, I could do this trade up deal for less money, then log all the shots on it ... not my new H5D.

Photographers often rent to cover peak demands or specific shorter term assignments ... others buy it outright if they have longer term contractual deals, or a track record of years of earnings.

I have a close photographer friend who owns a very successful studio here when others are dropping like flies. 2012 was his best year ever. He runs 7 to 9 shooting stations 24/7 ... every station is equipped with H camera or H backs on cameras with T/S. He wins business based on quality for very demanding clients. The business thinking I'm suggesting here is something I learned from him.

Obviously, the Trade-Up promo isn't for everyone. However, there are business scenarios where it could make a lot of sense.

-Marc

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well that is what I did - P65 for about four months and then we got the IQ 180 - but there were dollars involved - we paid for the P65 and then paid the extra dollars for the upgrade to the IQ -
Correct, but the TOTAL you paid was the same as waiting and buying the IQ*.

They just didn't make you pay the full total until they could deliver the newer back. You also had the option to stay with the 65 once the IQ shipped (so if you weren't sure it was going to be worth the difference you could wait until you could see a final production version to make your decision (though you had a set window to make the choice - I recall it being 30 days from when the IQ was available, after which you'd only receive standard upgrade pricing rather than the pay-the-difference pricing.

Those "loaner" backs were then refurbished and sold as refurbs for clients at the lower part of the budget spectrum.

This has been Phase's policy for all te product launches I've been part of.

*I don't remember how shipping was handled, so technically you might have paid $50 more or whatever (because of shipping) to "rent" the 65+ until the IQ was available.

RVB

Already installed? Could you see any differences?

I will check if the German website also has the update available. I guess... not.
Looks the same on my Mac Pro but looks great on my Retina MBP...

The main Differences are under the hood...below is a copy and paste from the Hassy PDF for 2.7

New features in 2.7
Camera configuration tool
Select Camera Configuration in the Windows menu to open this tool which will enable you to edit basically every possible parameter of the camera. Please note that only H5D cameras are currently supported.
In the left side of the window you will find 2 list views containing sets of configuration profiles. The top view represents the connected camera and it's 8 user profile slots - 7 of which are editable. The bottom view represents a local library of profiles stored on disk. Drag and drop can be used to transfer between the 2 views.
The main part of the window represents the data of the currently selected profile. It's been split up in 3 different tabs Controls, Exposure and General.

Compressed multishot file format
Multishot and 6-shot images captured with this version will be stored using a new lossless compression. For 6-shot images this will typically result in files that are only a third the size of an uncompressed file - for multi shots the compressed file is approximately 2/3 of the uncompressed size. At the same time in the new format all 4 or 6 individual captures are stored separately giving us more flexibility in enhancing processing algorithms later on.
Please be aware that any multishot or 6-shot images captured with 2.7 will not be compatible with earlier Phocus versions!
Camera tool enhancements
A capture button has been added to the left of the live video button and further to the left you will find a battery indicator which currently will only show valid info if an H5D is connected. Also the aperture and shutter menus now have graphic indications of full steps.
Notifications
A notification feature has been implemented which will enable the display of software update messages.
Mirror mode
You can now toggle mirroring of the image by clicking the 'R' rotation indicator in the crop & orientation tool.
Crop - move by arrow keys
In crop mode you can now move the crop by using the arrow keys. H5D support
Support for the new H5D cameras has been added.
Support for the new HCD 24 lens and the new Macro Converter Lens corrections for these have been included.
Retina MacBook Pro support
Images will be displayed in full retina resolution.

malmac

Correct, but the TOTAL you paid was the same as waiting and buying the IQ*.

They just didn't make you pay the full total until they could deliver the newer back. You also had the option to stay with the 65 once the IQ shipped (so if you weren't sure it was going to be worth the difference you could wait until you could see a final production version to make your decision (though you had a set window to make the choice - I recall it being 30 days from when the IQ was available, after which you'd only receive standard upgrade pricing rather than the pay-the-difference pricing.

Those "loaner" backs were then refurbished and sold as refurbs for clients at the lower part of the budget spectrum.

This has been Phase's policy for all te product launches I've been part of.

*I don't remember how shipping was handled, so technically you might have paid $50 more or whatever (because of shipping) to "rent" the 65+ until the IQ was available.
Doug

I was not complaining - just sharing information. I was quite happy with the arrangement.

I really appreciated the IQ back after using the screen on the P65,
I know we put so few images on the P65 that our dealer already had the back sold by the time our IQ arrived. It was in perfect condition, so one could say it was a win win for all concerned.

Regards.

Ma

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I was not complaining - just sharing information. I was quite happy with the arrangement.
Having re-read my comment I could see where I gave the impression you were complaining. I didn't think you were though. Just filling in the blanks on how that policy worked.

RVB

Yep, they are only years late ... and I never got to use one on the S2 I bought in anticipation of high speed sync ... now there is a new S camera coming and I still can't get a Leica CS lens.

Fortunately, I did get the H to S adapter and finally have been able to use the CS shutter mode on the S2 that I paid for over two years ago.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

-Marc
I thought you might be interested to know that I got an S-70mm CS lens today.. I will collected it when I am in the UK next week... :)

fotografz

I imagine it is the very same pack they developed for the H4 but I wouldn't bank on it working on anything other than the H5. The cynic in me says the only reason why it was never released on the H4 is because the new H5 was coming and this is a new feature of the new camera and a reason for H4 users to upgrade.
Apparently the cynic in you would be wrong.

The new battery adapter will work on the H4D/60 :thumbup: ... as well as the H5Ds including the H5D-50MS and H5D-200MS :thumbs:

-Marc

UK price is 324 pounds but there is no delivery date yet.. :)
Hi all
I use a quantum turbo 3. Could probably power a space shuttle mission. Can rest assured of power through a full days shooting and more. Recently I went on a 3 day trip and forgot my charger. The battery kept going. I have a Leaf FireWire 800 adaptor connecting to the quantum cable. It's built like a brick and the cost is close to the Hasselblad adaptor alone. Than you add the cost and space of multiple batteries which don't last as long as the quantum. Would probably stick with quantum as primary battery choice even if I changed to phase one or Leaf. One of my best buys

UK price is 324 pounds but there is no delivery date yet.. :)
Hi all
I use a quantum turbo 3. Could probably power a space shuttle mission. Can rest assured of power through a full days shooting and more. Recently I went on a 3 day trip and forgot my charger. The battery kept going. I have a Leaf FireWire 800 adaptor connecting to the quantum cable. It's built like a brick and the cost is close to the Hasselblad adaptor alone. Than you add the cost and space of multiple batteries which don't last as long as the quantum. Would probably stick with quantum as primary battery choice even if I changed to phase one or Leaf. One of my best buys

stngoldberg

Hi all

Neither Hasselblad nor Quantum recommend this combination-both warned me that the Quantum battery could do damage to the Hasselblad electrical system-scared me off

Stanley

Well Stanley.
I have a whole bunch of emails where someone in Hasselblad eventually concluded

"However obviously without having one of these ourselves we can not definitively say there will NO problems , as this is a 3rd party product.
the engineer did however say it sounded like a smart solution."

I have used it extensively on my Hasselblad H3D back on a Cambo View camera without a single problem over 18 months or so. I wish I could say the same when I tether the camera to a laptop with Phocus running!!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
"Coming Soon" is not to be trusted, nor used as part of a purchase decision. I suggest not buying until the full product is a reality.

I partly made the decision to get a H4D/60 because of the strong promise of a clip-on battery ... thus giving me the option to use the back untethered on a field camera. The battery hardware port is on the H4D/60, but no battery was ever offered ... just excuses and delays, until now there is a new camera ... also promising said battery. :wtf:

What was really unfortunate was with the H4D/60, they disabled the use of my Image Bank-II as a capture devise ... I can power the back with it on a tech camera, but no longer can shoot images to it ... making it the most un-elegant and expensive battery solution on the planet. When I asked why they disabled it, I was told it was because it was in anticipation that H4D/60 could take its own battery ... which of course doesn't exist :loco:

-Marc

BTW, previously I frequently used the Image Bank-II for cold weather and longer shoots by slipping it into a pocket (it is quite small), and running the thin FW-800 cord down my jacket sleeve. Having the battery powering the back relieved the grip battery from powering the back so all it had to do is power the camera, and it lasted much much longer. The IB-II also allows redundant capture by transferring CF images to it up to 100 gig.
These and other issues with the H4D/60 are why I left Hasselblad. I'll believe the battery solution when they deliver the battery.

stngoldberg

The longer I have waited for my upgrade to an H5D50 the more I realized that I don't want/need it.
I have finally come to the conclusion that it is little more than a software upgrade, so I cancelled my order this morning
Stanley

gazwas

The longer I have waited for my upgrade to an H5D50 the more I realized that I don't want/need it.
I have finally come to the conclusion that it is little more than a software upgrade, so I cancelled my order this morning
Stanley
I thought the H5 was released/available in January.......?

stngoldberg

That was the original date, but my dealer only recently got his demo-none of his orders have been filled (fortunately for me)