The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa FPS Video

jotloob

Subscriber Member
It took a couple of years but I finally bit the FPS bullet along with an IQ150 :D

The flexibility if you're already an Alpa user is outstanding. Also looking forward to trying some of my V glass on the STC/FPS/tilt adapter combo too!
Congrats Graham . ALPAHOLICS ? ? ? Yes definately :chug:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When was this image taken ? ? ?
Late Feb 2014 - I got the IQ250 and FPS to play with at the Carmel CI event that Ken Doo & Don Libby and Dave Gallagher work so hard to put on.

So I guess I actually held out for just under a year ... and also the power of some MF digital marketing/training events and why you shouldn't ever get hands on with loaner expensive cameras!!

This might be really obvious but when he talks about one battery being able to power
30,000 actuations, is this just talking about the FPS itself?

When a digital back is connected does that have separate power? If so, how many actuations might you get for that? Am mainly thinking for hiking/landscape type
scenarios.

Thanks. :)

joelorbita

Yep, I thought so... :)

Any idea roughly how long you get out of a MFDB? I know this varies from back to back but am just trying to get a rough idea really..

Also, once it runs out of charge, I assume they take a replaceable battery?

Thanks again!

steve_cor

Batteries on my Leaf Aptus II-7 last about an hour and a half. The battery fits on the outside, and interferes with some tripod heads. On the newer backs, you open a little door and slide the battery inside, like on a Canon camera. That way looks nicer, and won't interfere with your tripod.

This review from Frank Doorhof may be helpful:

Leaf Credo first impressions | Frank Doorhof

mmbma

so far the only value i see with the FPS is with the ultra wide sift lenses, like what Gerald's done with the 17TS. i mean. all the other lenses work better on their native systems no? who's really going to put a 300mm plus on FPS and why? (instead of putting them on their native cameras)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, the argument also is why not have a camera platform that you can put just about any lens you like on and also enjoy the quality of the images from your digital back too? That opens up the creative options significantly.

It's not a crime to use lenses that don't cover the entire sensor either. I'll take a crop from my MFDB over having yet another dedicated camera and lens system any day.

Is it for everyone? No certainly not. However, most folks shooting with mirrorless cameras are also enjoying the ability to use a flexible body with adapters to use the myriad of 35mm lenses such as with the Sony A7 series for example.

:thumbs:

Last edited: