Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica S new ISO range - can the S2 be upgraded via fw?

Post Thanks / Like

Leica S new ISO range - can the S2 be upgraded via fw?

Hi there,

I know that perhaps nobody but Leica has a definitive answer but the new Leica S (sucessor to the S2) sports the same sensor than in the current S2.

Could the actual S2 be upgraded via FW to incorporate these new ISO steps and improved higher ISO noise ?

The sensor its the same, Leica just saying that the eletronics changed (not sure what they mean, since the processing cpu is still Maestro and the image capturing sensor is exactly the same)...
    Leica M9 | Leica S2 | www.proenca.eu

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica S new ISO range - can the S2 be upgraded via fw?

I am not certain about this but I recently asked a Leica dealer in Amsterdam the same question and he said no.. the new S sensor is the same but there are other differences in the camera..

best

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    I am not certain about this but I recently asked a Leica dealer in Amsterdam the same question and he said no.. the new S sensor is the same but there are other differences in the camera..

best

Rob
    Im fearing that as well, but it doesnt make sense to me.

Image Sensor, the same. Imaging Chip, the same.

It should be upgradable via firmware. Eletronics different to acommodate the new LCD, GPS and finer tricks. But the image "production" part is exactlty the same, bar the AF system (which is better). But as far image creation goes, its the same.

Really hope it would be upgradable, would love cleaner 1000 iso files and having 1600 for emergencies.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If it was so easy to do by firmware, why didn't Leica improve the ISO performance long ago? Actually, I would say that no one has any idea how they have changed the camera--you can't tell by a simple spec sheet.

I do think they have a real naming problem--why does the S model follow the S2 model? What do they call the next model? SII?

Post Thanks / Like

Same electronic does not automatically mean that a new software will run with the old hardware as like with the new hardware. There are differences in the internal electronic parts as well in RAM size. That alone will confuse the software of the new camera on an old system. And even if they could, they would not do it. Who should buy the new S then if anything is the same like before?
    Last edited by fotom; 8th December 2012 at 11:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, the S2 cannot get the higher ISO performance of the new S. The reason for this is that while both cameras share the same sensor, the new S uses an entirely new sensor board and associated electronics which are responsible for the improved ISO performance.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, the new S uses the same sensor as the S2 but with a microlens panel that might be resposible for producing a cleaner high iso file. I'm not entirely sure though..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe the sensor in the S2 is a CCD type from the same family of sensors as the 40meg used in the Pentax 645d, so the output will be analog requiring an a/d conversion. The amplification/conversion electronics at that stage are critical, so it is quite likely Leica has implemented significant improvements, as claimed.

Post Thanks / Like

ok ok

thank you all for your detailed answers.

quite happy with my S2. will envy *a bit* the new S users but S2 is perfect for me.

top priority is getting a 30mm or a 35mm