The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I know everyone here loves the Cube but....

gazwas

So, I got myself the new Gitzo GT5562GTS Giant legs and I'm very impressed. Still quite heavy due to the number of leg extension available but very stable and I've found out that you can buy leg reducers to remove some of the leg sections to make it lighter which is an excellent option.

I'm using the Manfrotto 405 head but wanted to upgrade and the obvious choice was the Cube but I'm not sure it would offer me much over the 405 so I got thinking.............

Along side the Phase DF and Rm3di, I've started shooting video recently and have been looking at video tripod systems only to find out I can convert the my new Gitzo quite easily into a video tripod using a bowl top plate adapter. I imagine the Giant would make an amazingly stable video tripod but the head got me wondering.

Has anyone ever thought about using a really nice fluid head with their MFD kit? The fluid damping would allow for very fine adjustments, possibly as good as a geared head (?) and has counter balance and levelling base all built in. I'm particularly interested in the Sachtler heads and the DV10 looks excellent.

gazwas

Yes, I know the Arca heads are all fantastic and the new Z2+ looks amazing but I was thinking of buying a video fluid head like a Sachtler and using it for stills (and video).

Anyone tried it?
Does it work ok?
Am I just barking up the wrong tree?

adamduckworth

Video heads don't work with the camera in the portrait position (as you'd never do that with a video camera). So unless you have an L-bracket, it would be dodgy! And I don't know of any video heads that use the Arca standard fitment, although you can probably use a converter on a Manfrotto or Gitzo.

Manfrotto do a 'convertible" video and tripod head which may work for you.

But I'm with Guy. I use Arca Z1Dp on my 5-series Gitzo legs for stills, and a proper fluid video tripod and head for video.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not going to say anything... not going to sayanything... not goingto sayanything... not goingtosayanything...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There are tripod heads
and there is the cube.
that will be all.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Put a RRS clamp on the SS5562GT and a head plate on your video head.... And the Cube you'll end up buying afterwards. It'll make it easier to change heads :D

jagsiva

I always loved the cube for what it gave me over the BH55's I a have (which are also quite great as far as ball head go).

...but with the new Rm3di, the Cube is just fantastic. It's hard to even think of it as a tripod head, it's just an extension of the Rm3di, same smooth touch & feel, same ergonomics....yup, like it a lot.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In all seriousness there are two photographic investments that I've made, outside of cameras and lenses, that have been completely without any regret or buyers remorse. They would be my Gitzo giant tripod and the Cube on top of it. Most people who've never used either just don't "get it" since they are both eye wateringly expensive compared to their near peers but they have both been guiltless purchases that I appreciate every single time I use them. (Ok, maybe not schlepping up a mountain trail with the giant but I digress).

Btw, as I believe we've always said, if you need a ballhead then buy a ballhead!

aeaemd

I didn't know they still make other heads beside the cube!
After thousands of dollars spent on different heads by me and most of the people on here, the verdict is still the cube is your last head until the cube comes up with another cube.

Amr

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hmmm . . . cube as last tripod head? I know that some of you bought Arca D4s after your cubes. Speak up - we know who you are!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm . . . cube as last tripod head? I know that some of you bought Arca D4s after your cubes. Speak up - we know who you are!
I be guilty of that, and it is really awkward after the operational habits one gains by using a cube.
It also is missing levels in any useful location, but it is sort of like a ball head in that the clutches can be released but better in that only one axis at a time is freed.

I use by d4 as a casual head for travel when I do not expect to be needing a tripod much.
-bob

etrump

Cube, RRS TVC-24L, leveling base with head clamp - $3k US and totally worth it. Not as big as the king-kong legs but gets the Cambo/IQ180 over my head or flat on the floor.

I do miss the geared swing of the manfrotto but you can't have everything - can you?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
HOWEVER, I am getting mine improved by replacing the clampie part with a real screwy clamp.
-bob