The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Studio Tripod for use with cube?

Been seeing lots of stuff about the cube coming up on here. I get my cube next weekend, and I need to change my tripod legs too. As I shoot almost all in studio, do you guys have any recommendations? Obviously something lighter is always nicer ;) but of much less importance than ease of use and stability.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Studio or location only, I'd get the big Gitzo 5 series carbon.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm happy in or out with a 24L RRS tripod regardless of cam . In studio especially if I need very tall you can always bolt a cam to a ladder. I'm just not into these big tripods anymore. Your using strobes anyway any movement will get stopped by strobes if it ever came down to it. Frankly rather spend money on optics. That's just me though

kdphotography

I use a Gitzo 5541LS CF tripod with the Cube in studio. RRS didn't have their new tripods out at the time, but if I were in the market again, the RRS TVC-33 would have edged out my Gitzo 5 series as my selected big platform. I'm grabbing the TVC-24 a lot more when going out on location...

gazwas

For studio use and you're after a tripod rather than a stand there are no other legs you need to consider than the Gitzo Series 5 Giant. All Series 5 legs (and RRS etc equivalents) are great tripods but I often need height in the studio and the others just don't go high enough.

Purchase the leg reducers to remove some of the leg sections to save weight if needed but for those occasions when you need to be in the rafters to get the shot, the Giants the only tripod for the job.

RGoldman

Depending on what you shoot, a camera stand may be a better option. I picked up one on craigslist for $20(yep, only $20!) It's nothing fancy but once you use one, you will realize just how nice they are to have in the studio!

Ron

Shashin

If this was just for the studio, I would get a studio/camera stand. Tripods are not very good in a studio.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For really high shots I attach the camera to a boom and shoot tethered :p
Otherwise, a camera stand is just the thing.
-bob

evgeny

My cube is on a Berlebach oak tripod, which stays on a dolly. (I sold the Sinar camera shown on the photo)
This is an easy to move and can hold a lot of weight in my studio.

Evgeny

Shashin

RGoldman

This is the one I am using. Probably the least expensive of what's been mentioned so far but it works fine. I would love one of the Foba's but they are just way too expensive.

If you have Craigslist where you are, keep an eye out there or post a WTB ad. I see them on there from time to time for under $1K. I am sure there are plenty of them sitting around collecting dust if you can just find someone that wants to sell!

thomas

My cube is on a Berlebach oak tripod, which stays on a dolly. (I sold the Sinar camera shown on the photo)
This is an easy to move and can hold a lot of weight in my studio.
finally someone openminded for something else. Reading on this forum one have to get the impression there is only "the Cube" and Gitzo tripods.
In a studio I'd use a wooden "Uni" Berlebach tripod (in the 6-8 kg league) with single extensions ... with or without dolly. Or a studio stand...
Carbon Gitzos are made for on location shooting, so for traveling ... and they are top notch for that matter. But they are certainly nowhere near as stable as a heavy wood tripod.

gazwas

Carbon Gitzos are made for on location shooting, so for traveling ... and they are top notch for that matter. But they are certainly nowhere near as stable as a heavy wood tripod.
But a wooden tripod is nowhere near as stable or flexible as a quality studio stand and I imagine a complete pain to take on location. If I was in the market for studio only support it would be hands down a studio stand but if like many photographers you want something equally good on location as it is in the studio its hard to recommend anything other than the Gitzo carbon legs. That is why the Gitzo's always get recommended IMO. They really are fantastic legs, especially the new Systematics and has nothing to do with being open minded.

Of course, if you're in the lucky position that budget is of no worry then just have all three - stand, carbon Gitzo and wooded Berlebach. :p

Right now I am using a carbon fiber Surveying tripod It is very steady, however it is a pain in the *** in my studio because the feet are metal spikes. It looks almost exactly like the Berlebach just in carbon fiber. Now that I saw the dolly, maybe for now it would be best to get a dolly for it? Are there companies that make a dolly that fits almost any brand?
As I am living in Paris for only a couple more months now, it would not make sense to invest in a full out studio stand. However, as I have a problem like many of you on here. The Foba is my next serious buy when I am back in the states. It seems they can be found used for around 1-2k.

Oh.. and I can't buy a wooden tripod. Can't let anything compete with my beautiful (red) grips I asked specially from Alpa. ;)