The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

gerald.d

Hi all -

With the recent launch of the Alpa FPS, I think there's going to be a lot more people interested in finding out about suitable/interesting lenses to combine with cameras such as the Alpa and the HCam. Of particular interest I'm sure will be image circles and sharpness.

So, I thought it would be useful to have a single thread, where people can share their experiences with various combinations.

Kicking off, here's a link to my testing of the Canon 24 TS-E on the HCam and with an IQ180, which I have posted previously in another thread.

Canon 24mm TSE, Hartblei HCam, Phase One IQ180

I don't have the time to do tests like that for all the lenses that I manage to get hold of, but here are a couple of other examples that hopefully give a good indication of image circles.

Next week, I'll try to find some time to post some 100% crops from these, so that you can get an idea as to lens quality.

Canon 200-400mm zoom at 200, 300 and 400mm:

Canon 200-400mm zoom, with the inbuilt 1.4x teleconverter at 280mm and 560mm. Note the significant improvement in the image circle:

Canon 800mm

Not the easiest of combinations to focus, but I almost got it :)

More soon hopefully, and look forward to others adding more!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

malmac

Gerald

A good idea for a thread - I am sure that I am not the only person who has a range of Canon / or Nikon / or other lenses and a digital back and would like to know if there is a compatibility possibility.

We see the 24mm T/S lens examples but not the other options like the 400mm focal lengths.

For instance I own a 400mm f2.8 canon lens - now if I could match that up with the Phase 1 back, even with a restricted image circle, if the glass was up to the sensor, it would be an interesting option for high resolution telephoto images.

Mal

danlindberg

For instance I own a 400mm f2.8 canon lens

Mal
I have a Hasselblad CF350/5.6 Tele-Tessar. Bought new by me a couple of decades ago. It has been used maybe 3-4 Velvia rolls in the beginning of its life and then put away for a loooong wait. It would be incredibly cool to match it with the Credo 60 :grin:

Stefan Steib

Hi Guys

here is some stuff for the thread, first a list that Christoph Kügler did

and then a sample with the Canon Fisheye 8-15mm at 13mm on the Hcam with Aptus II8.

many more links and samples on our HCam Facebook pages

HCam.de | Facebook

Greetings from right now Dubai
Stefan

Stefan Steib

here is a sample made with the P45+ and the Nikon 14-24mm at 14mm F8, the sunshade should be sawed off, but then I would say it covers the full (smaller) sensors.

Regards
Stefan

gerald.d

Ok. This is weird.

Alpa have recently updated their website with details of FPS coverage.

The slide at this link - Meet the Alpa 12 FPS. The Ultimate Open Platform. AlpaFPS01 - would seem to imply a different model of FPS coming in Q2 that will take SB17 lenses.

I've not been able to get my head around how the existing SB17 lenses could ever fit on the FPS. Am I mis-reading this slide, or is there really a different version of the camera coming do you think?

Stefan Steib

I can´t speak for Alpa, but to me this reads like they want to do a modified SB17 FPS adapter- not a new body.

Regards
Stefan

gerald.d

I've never been able to get my head around this.

The SB34 lenses require a 17mm adapter to use with the FPS. Therefore, the SB17 lenses would require a 0mm adapter.

I guess looking at the images of, for example, the 32HR SB17, you could envisage a way that a different mount could be used?

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17

/edit

The other thing I'm struggling to understand is why there's a 90HR SB34 and a 50HR SB34, but no 70HR SB34...

gerald.d

Canon 17mm TS-E. Quite an astonishing field of view, but the image really does fall apart towards the edges.

This is with 5mm rise.

gerald.d

24mm TS-E with 1.4x converter. I don't really think this is a viable option

You're far better off just shooting with the 24, and then cropping

That first shot basically makes me realise I need to get a Rodie 32 HR :D

Stefan Steib

Hi Gerald

Christoph Kügler has tried the 35mm Contax645 with a Mirex adapter and got really good results with that. Actual solution for that aperture thing: using a 645 body to stop down and then change body.

regards
Stefan

aeaemd

A stupid question here!
Why would you use Canon/nikon glass on medium format backs?. I can see the other way round (e.g. Rodi on nikon)!

Amr

yongfei

A stupid question here!
Why would you use Canon/nikon glass on medium format backs?. I can see the other way round (e.g. Rodi on nikon)!

Amr
Because through Canon->MF adapters, you can use many MF lenses. This a great gift for lens collectors - buy once, and use all your existing MF lenses for free.

In the next generation of HCam, I'd like to see a version that contains a built-in shift back, which would be great for stiching.

malmac

What about using a D800 +14mm Samyang for that kind of shot ? or even a 12-24mm Sigma ? Cost is 1/10 and IQ 'good enough' for reality distorted shots I think. JMO
I dont have a HCam - but I do have an IQ180 back and a bunch of Canon lenses - so maybe it is cheaper to buy a HCam (the missing component) than to buy a Nikon D800 plus Nikon lenses to go with it.

If my starting point was no IQ180, no Canon lenses then the equation would look quite different.

I guess most of us are starting from different places with different aspirations and different budgets.

Its a complex world we live in.

Happy New Year

Mal