The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

joelorbita

Have just seen this thread and thought i would reignite it.. :)

Has anyone used a Alpa FPS with one of the 33mm x 44mm CMOS backs with either the Zeiss Otus 85mm or the Canon 85mm 1.2L?

You guys seem to indicate that the Canon 85mm will work and over on Hcam.de facebook page, I see Stefan Steib has posted this with regards to the Zeiss Otus 85mm

" Today I had a very interesting over 2 hours talk with Dr. Nasse and Mr. Weber of Zeiss about "Secrets and trends" in new Highend Optics. At this Occasion we also tried the Imagecircle of the new Otus 1,4/85mm on my HCam Master TS - and the good news is:
There are 10mm all around of "Beef", making the new 1,4/85mm Otus even capable to be used on our HCam-B1 with the new IQ250 or Leaf Credo 50 or Hasselblad 50Mpix, all with the Sony CMOS. "

Are you having trouble focusing the Canon 85mm 1.2L because it is being used with a CCD type back and therefore live view is not available and it becomes a bit of guess work?

Gerald. D, I noticed that a lot of your image samples are broken for some reason.. Is there any way at all of fixing this somehow?

Great, thanks a lot!

Stefan Steib

@ tcdeveau: the imagecircle of the Otus 1,4/55mm is too small for shift usage on an alpa fps or an HCam-B1 or the HCam Master TS. Sorry, for that late answer, But I thought I had already answered that before.

@joel : for all the fans of the EF -L 1,2/85mm Canon - there is an alternative with a (+ nearly identical image quality) built in aperture and working manual focus ! What I use is a Canon FD-L 1,2/85 remounted to an EOS mount made by Ed Mika from Canada. The image quality is amazing and the image circle is also usable for 10mm of shift on the HCam Master TS. Even better: portraits with tilted open f1,2.......aaaaahhhhhh. the Bokeh master.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

gerald.d

Have just seen this thread and thought i would reignite it.. :)

Has anyone used a Alpa FPS with one of the 33mm x 44mm CMOS backs with either the Zeiss Otus 85mm or the Canon 85mm 1.2L?

You guys seem to indicate that the Canon 85mm will work and over on Hcam.de facebook page, I see Stefan Steib has posted this with regards to the Zeiss Otus 85mm

" Today I had a very interesting over 2 hours talk with Dr. Nasse and Mr. Weber of Zeiss about "Secrets and trends" in new Highend Optics. At this Occasion we also tried the Imagecircle of the new Otus 1,4/85mm on my HCam Master TS - and the good news is:
There are 10mm all around of "Beef", making the new 1,4/85mm Otus even capable to be used on our HCam-B1 with the new IQ250 or Leaf Credo 50 or Hasselblad 50Mpix, all with the Sony CMOS. "

Are you having trouble focusing the Canon 85mm 1.2L because it is being used with a CCD type back and therefore live view is not available and it becomes a bit of guess work?

Gerald. D, I noticed that a lot of your image samples are broken for some reason.. Is there any way at all of fixing this somehow?

Great, thanks a lot!
Hi -

Sorry, I lost a lot of uploads on my webspace a while back and I don't have time to go back and work out what's missing (I'm not very organised!).

Here's the Canon 85/1.2 wide open on an IQ180 (no crop applied) - plenty of image circle for the 44x33 sensors.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

joelorbita

Hi gerald.d, thanks a lot! Very cool indeed!

Stefan, you mention on your Facebook page that the Zeiss Otus 85mm should cover the 44mm x 33mm sensor?

Any further word if that is the case? Any samples?

With regards to the Canon FD 85mm 1.2, I had thought about that already.. Due to the fact that you cannot manually focus the newer EF 85mm 1.2 and also cannot control the aperture on the lens when used with a "dumb" adapter..

Do you do the conversions with the Ed Mika adapter? If so, how much is this?

Still, the Zeiss Otus 85mm seems to be in a class of its own, so to be using this would be amazing!

neil

I just started to use my Hcam B1. The camera has been resting / hibernating for the last few years in its warm cardboard box and has just found its way out into the light.

I do not have any proper lens to use on it yet and have been searching for information on the best lens to use. Difficult to find useful information. Decided to revive this thread for people to post information on the latest lens.

Alpa has some information on their website. One lens that intrigued me was the cheap and cheerful 40 mm canon lens. Tried it today and it nearly covers the larger format iq160 sensor. Gives quite a sharp image at f11.5. Good price performance ratio.

This lens is fly by wire so for the hcam b1 you have to use a workaround to focus correctly, I first focused the lens using my sony a7s/metabones camera. Switched the camera off and the lens stays correctly focused. Then I changed the lens onto the hcam b1 and took the picture. If you need to refocus you have to repeat the procedure. Its easier than it sounds. The way the slider works on the hcam b1 means it is easy and safe to change lens as the sensor is protected.

I also tried the Olympus OM mount 40mm lens. Unfortunately It does not cover the iq160 sensor. Though It would work well on the smaller iq140 sensor.

chrismuc

@Neil

The Canon EF mount and short flange distance makes the HCam and the FPS very flexible regarding lenses.
Best work lenses
- with sufficient image circle for a 54x40mm back (that's obvious ;-)
- with retrofocus lens design (like any lens that was designed for a mirror-refex cameras, not for a technical camera)

Suggestions:
- any 135mm shift lens + simple mechanical adapter for Canon EF (for example Olympus or Nikon or Pentax or Schneider or ... 24mm/28mm/35mm PC lenses)
- any 645 or 6x6 manual lens like Mamiya 645 or Pentax 645 or Hasselblad V or ... + Mirex or other mechanical (shift) adapter for Canon EF