The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo Recommendations

Ed Hurst

Hello all,

Well, it's time for me to look at a new tripod and I would really welcome any advice from you guys.

I have decided on a Gitzo for its quality and combo of strength and lightness. I use my 645D with a variety of lenses, up to and including a 6x7 300mm lens - which requires a very sturdy base. I am also a tall guy - and sometimes shoot from stepladders - so would like a model that extends tall. But will often be walking with the beast (but, being a big bloke, I would favour the size and sturdiness over super-lightness, as long as I can move it).

The plan is to put a cube on it.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Ed

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I could repeat my own personal Gitzo that fits your criteria of strength, quality, sturdy base, tall, step ladder, preference for size vs light, Cube ... Gitzo 5 series Giant.

I use the GT5561SGT with a Cube and it is wonderfully versatile. Now it isn't light, although I find that the majority of the weight isn't so much in the legs as it is the solid base.

You might find this helpful too: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/mediu...l-backs/11679-tripods-again-gitzo-system.html

Last edited:

thrice

Also remember fewer sections = higher rigidity.
I'm also a big fan of the leveler system. I'm planing to get a 2531LVL at some stage. Either that or I will go small again and replace my current 1541T with the new ocean traveler when that arrives next year.
FWIW I put my 300mm lens on my 4x5 Ebony onto the 1541T and get sharp shots, the key is to hang your bag from the centre column.

Above all I recommend going into a retailer that carries Gitzo and trying them out. What works for your shooting style might be totally different to what works for someone else. Tripods aren't that simple and the perfect one makes all the difference.

I have a Gitzo 3530LS, and it is sufficiently stable for my H4D-50 with a 300mm lens. It's the regular height model, but there's a longer legged model. I think the latest version of that is the 3542XLS.

All the best.

Richard Naismith

I have a Gitzo 3530LS, and it is sufficiently stable for my H4D-50 with a 300mm lens. It's the regular height model, but there's a longer legged model. I think the latest version of that is the 3542XLS.

All the best.

Richard Naismith
I'm not sure I would consider the 3542XLS to be stable, though it is better than the 3541XLS by all accounts. Well, it is stable or tall, but not both. The last leg section is pretty flex. That said if you are looking for a middle of the road, do it all tripod, it's not a bad way to go. I think it would handle the 300 just fine, but probably not at full extension.

gazwas

I just got the GT5562GTS Giant and can't recommend it enough....... Amazing legs!

If you have concerns about weight you can always buy leg reducers and remove some leg sections for when the 2.77cm height is not needed.

Today I just received a bowl adapter so I can mount a proper video head to mine - one of the features I love about the Systematics. :thumbs:

gerald.d

I just got the GT5562GTS Giant and can't recommend it enough....... Amazing legs!

If you have concerns about weight you can always buy leg reducers and remove some leg sections for when the 2.77cm height is not needed.

Today I just received a bowl adapter so I can mount a proper video head to mine - one of the features I love about the Systematics. :thumbs:
Can it go any higher than 2.77cm? ;)

gazwas

Can it go any higher than 2.77cm? ;)
Yes, its a very strange feeling walking under the Giant at full height and not the usual view most get of their tripods. :eek:

Granted, the Giant is a little bit extreme for a tripod and I would have bought the XLS version of the Series 5 if Gitzo made one The other legs in the Series 5 just don't go height enough for me and the only way therefore to get a Series 5 XLS is to purchase the Giant and the leg reducers and create your own.

tsjanik

Ed:

I have a GT2541 which I purchased for a travel tripod before I had a 645D. Putting the 645D with a heavy lens, e.g. the 120mm A on this tripod makes the whole assembly very top heavy and not particularly stable; I would not consider anything less than a 3 series. The Aractech Ultimate head I use with the GT2541 is not adequate for the above combo either. It is very difficult to tighten enough to prevent creep caused by the torque of the 120mm. I use an old aluminum G340? most of the time with a Acra Swiss Z1 (which is superb.) I am not willing to carry it very far, but it's steady as a rock and as heavy .:cussing:

Tom

Ed Hurst

Thank you all for taking the time to share such considered and helpful advice.

I have decided to get a GT5562GTS (which is the giant 6-section 5 series Systematic tripod - replacing the GT5561SGT referred to above). It is a beast, but I think will do what I need (in conjunction with a Cube) and, as pointed out, I can always reduce its size at some point if I need to.

Thanks guys!

gazwas

Good choice Ed!

You won't regret it as the new triangular top plate and tool free clamp are a great design. Replacing the top plate is now so easy with no need for tools. Along with the video bowl adapter I received today for use with a Sachtler fluid head I'm thinking of adding a geared centre column to mine for studio use. That is when Gitzo finally get around to making them. Swapping and changing is just a breeze and why its such a great system.