The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Cube for Panos (rotating around nodal point)

Don Libby

Multi-row is achievable by lowering the Cube angle a couple degrees (say 15). Shoot left to right on that row before centering the angle of the Cube to zero and shooting that row left to right. Raise the angle of the Cube an equal amount from the first and shoot your 3rd row. This is very similar to what RRS does. By the time you're done you'll have shot 3-rows say 3-times per row for a total of 9 images. Stitch them all together and you'll get one huge image. Of course since this wasn't done as a flat stitch you'll still get something like a bowtie but you'll be able to crop to suite.

This was one of the deciding factors for me going to a tech camera and the ability to flat stitch one or more row of images.

Don

more later....

Ed Hurst

I am sorry to say that my wallet has been taking this sort of hit for many years now already :). Rather than being a bad influence corrupting a previously virtuous person, you guys are just a support group / encouragement source for someone already utterly beyond redemption ;-)

Ed Hurst

Don - it sounds like what you are saying is that, assuming I am getting the Cube anyway, that it will do the multi-row panning task (in conjunction with a rail) as well as the RRS solutions that are referred to above...

By the way, one really nice thing about the Pentax 645D is that it has two tripod sockets, one on the side of the camera for vertical shots - so no L-bracket will be needed to do pans using the camera in that orientation.

billbunton

Subscriber Member
Bill - those items looks interesting. I am not sure what a complete pano set up would consist of that is not achieved by the combo of Cube and such a rail. Am I missing a trick?
You can do everything with just the cube and rail. I've got the Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package - Ult-Pro-OPP - Kit Configuration Page setup, makes it real easy to do multi-row panos. (To be honest, what I've got is the PG-02 FG: PG-02 Full Gimbal Head - PG-02-FG - Kit Configuration Page, but it's easy to change the configuration to the pano package, using a clamp I already have.)

jlm

Workshop Member
if i needed multiple rows, haven't for a while) I could shift vertically and pan horizontally?