The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on HR 32

I've seen a lot of people comparing Nikon lenses, vs. canon, vs. zeiss, vs. Schneider, vs. Rodenstock. People have been comparing charts and everything based upon numbers from what I have seen. However, I can say that nothing has ever produced pictures in the same way that my new Rodenstock lens produces images. The way it renders out of focus textures is something that I've never seen in my life. It resembles a painting much more than a photo.

To me it is things like this that people should pay more attention to when choosing which lenses to buy, not by choosing which lens looks best on paper.

Here is an example picture taken from the first shoot, followed by a crop of what I am referring to:

jagsiva

Yup, a very special lens for sure. hopefully get some time over the holidays to get some time behind mine.

malmac

By the way, a few questions.
1. what digital back are you using
2. have you needed to use an LCC with this lens
3. have you been using a center filter
4. what are the focus graduations marked on the lens - ie 1.2m then 2m, etc.

This is the lens I am looking at for our IQ180.

regards

Mal

The focus graduations:
1.2 1.5 2 3 4 5 8 20 infinity

My HPF ring comes in this week along with my 90 HR :) Will give some reviews on that when I get it.

Using a P65+
Didn't and never use an LCC
Didn't use a center filter because it is only 1 stop and I actually like the slight vignetting. And the center filter is like 900USD...

By the way, a few questions.
1. what digital back are you using
2. have you needed to use an LCC with this lens
3. have you been using a center filter
4. what are the focus graduations marked on the lens - ie 1.2m then 2m, etc.

This is the lens I am looking at for our IQ180.

regards

Mal

aeaemd

Best lens I have ever used. I have one for the Cambo RS and one for linhof techno/technika.
Use it with the IQ 180 and credo 80 with no center filer. I use the CF for the 23 and 28. I like the slight fall off.

anGy

Do you use Lee filters with this lens ?
I know 2 ways for using those filters:
* Use the lens adapter + filter holder from Lee:
But there is 2 lens adapters: for normal and for wide angle lenses.
Unfortunately the wide angle adapters stops at 82mm so it is needed to use the 86mm normal one. The question is does this alter the borders of the image circle ?? (dark edges when stitching)

* For Cambo users, use the new compendium with filter holder for Lee.
But again, considering the large image circle of the 32HR, I wonder if this piece of kit will create dark edges when stitching the lens ??

I was using the Schneider 35mm and even a single 62 to 67mm adapter ring was creating dark edges on the images, hence my worries about using filter holder with the 32HR !

Do you use Lee filters with this lens ?
I know 2 ways for using those filters:
* Use the lens adapter + filter holder from Lee:
But there is 2 lens adapters: for normal and for wide angle lenses.
Unfortunately the wide angle adapters stops at 82mm so it is needed to use the 86mm normal one. The question is does this alter the borders of the image circle ?? (dark edges when stitching)

* For Cambo users, use the new compendium with filter holder for Lee.
But again, considering the large image circle of the 32HR, I wonder if this piece of kit will create dark edges when stitching the lens ??

I was using the Schneider 35mm and even a single 62 to 67mm adapter ring was creating dark edges on the images, hence my worries about using filter holder with the 32HR !

I have not yet received my 86mm adapter ring. However, since most of my work involves motion stopping of water, paint, wine, etc. I did need to use my lee filters for protection purposes. I was scared when we set up for the first shoot to shoot without the filters. However I realized, why not try without an adapter ring. And the lee filter kit happens to PERFECTLY fit around the blue ring without moving. I do have to use the 3rd filter slot on my kit to make sure the ND filters do not touch the lens, but it fit on, and straight without moving. Obviously this is a temporary thing, and I will post when I do have my adapter ring to let everyone know if there is vignetting caused by the normal (non wide-angle) adapter. But for now this works and does its job of holding the ND filters and protecting my lens from splashes.

I can take a picture if you are interested in seeing what I mean.

nikonf

Are you gentlemen referring to the Rodenstock 32mm f/4 HR Digaron-W
Lens, or the Rodenstock 35mm f/4 HR Digaron-S Lens?
I believe this would be the perfect focal length for my work.
Many thanks!

nikonf

Thank you for the prompt response!
The specifications on this optic are simply incredible.
It never thought a retro-focus design would ever compare to standard wide angle designs such as the ones from Leica or Schneider, yet it seems this lens can.

anGy

I have not yet received my 86mm adapter ring. However, since most of my work involves motion stopping of water, paint, wine, etc. I did need to use my lee filters for protection purposes. I was scared when we set up for the first shoot to shoot without the filters. However I realized, why not try without an adapter ring. And the lee filter kit happens to PERFECTLY fit around the blue ring without moving. I do have to use the 3rd filter slot on my kit to make sure the ND filters do not touch the lens, but it fit on, and straight without moving. Obviously this is a temporary thing, and I will post when I do have my adapter ring to let everyone know if there is vignetting caused by the normal (non wide-angle) adapter. But for now this works and does its job of holding the ND filters and protecting my lens from splashes.

I can take a picture if you are interested in seeing what I mean.
Thanks Shortpballer, this is already promising. If the adapter ring does create vignetting when stitching, your temporary solution could be used whenever stitching is needed (personally I presume I will take far more unstitched pictures than stitched ones with this 32mm lens). Good to know anyway, and it would be great to keep us updated with your findings when you'll receive the adapter ring :thumbup:

Will do. And I agree that for me at least, not much stitching will be done with the 32. But give it a try without an adapter ring and you will see that the lee kit fits perfectly around the blue ring of the 32. It even locks on!

Will also be posting some reviews of the new 90 HR when I get it in the next couple days or so.

Thanks Shortpballer, this is already promising. If the adapter ring does create vignetting when stitching, your temporary solution could be used whenever stitching is needed (personally I presume I will take far more unstitched pictures than stitched ones with this 32mm lens). Good to know anyway, and it would be great to keep us updated with your findings when you'll receive the adapter ring :thumbup:

aeaemd

Lee filters work fine on the 32. it is better to use the 4x6 rather than 4x4.
I use "formatt filters" and they are quiet good, they have the largest selection of 86 mm filters including graduated filters. Their ND filters block IR as well which is a big advantage to avoid color cast.
Unfortunately, there is a slim choices when it comes to the 86 mm IR passing filters if you are interested in IR photography.

Amr

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I use "formatt filters" and they are quiet good, they have the largest selection of 86 mm filters including graduated filters. Their ND filters block IR as well which is a big advantage to avoid color cast.
Unfortunately, there is a slim choices when it comes to the 86 mm IR passing filters if you are interested in IR photography.

Amr
You could add to the slim choices the option to process a 4x5 piece of E-6 film without exposing it. That will result in a large IR-pass visible-block filter with decent optical properties for a very low price and the potential for weird flare/glow/not-a-perfect-glass-filter-effects :).

anGy

Amr
Do you mount the Lee filters on the 32mm HR with the Lee filter holder + 86mm lens adapter ?
Does it create vignetting on the edges of the picture/image circle ?

I will be able to answer this question soon, for now I am mounting my lee filter holder without the lens adapter.

Do you mount the Lee filters on the 32mm HR with the Lee filter holder + 86mm lens adapter ?
Does it create vignetting on the edges of the picture/image circle ?

Marlyn

The HR 32mm is a Stunning Lens.
I agonised over it for ages before buying one, mainly because its the price of a small car!, but glad I did.

I use mine extensivley with Lee Filters, including the BigStopper which needs total Light sealing.

Forget the 86mm adapter, it vingettes horribly and is worthless.

What you need is the Lee FK 100 'Slip Over/Push on' filter adapter, with the 10mm adapter ring to reduce it from 100mm to 90mm. (Note: If you use a CF (I don't), then it is already 100mm apparently, so you don't need the adapter).

You need one of these: LEE Filters 100mm Slipover Foundation Kit FK100 B&H Photo Video

And one of these: LEE Filters 100-90mm Converter Ring for FK100 Filter FKD10090

This works perfectly for holding LEE filters on the HR 32, no vingetting, and no light leakage when using ND's, even the BigStopper 10 stop.

Note; I am using mine mounted on a Tilt/swing plate, on a Cambo WRS-AE, with an IQ160 back.

Regards

Mark.

Last edited:

jagsiva

One issue I am seeing with this lens is flare. Seems to pop up when I would not normally expect it. So looking into and reading about hoods, it appears that the Arca 6x9 hood will not work.

What solution are most of you using with this lens?