The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any thoughts on these lenses?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Was thinking of picking up some cheaper stuff for the lens bag for use on the Phase 645 / P45+ setup. My main glass will be the kit 80mm f2.8, supplemented by the Mamiya 28mm and the Phase/Hartblei 45 shifter.

But these ones seem easily available and fairly cheap. I'm assuming that there's no free lunch but that some places offer a good value meal...

;-)

Mamiya Sekor 645 50mm F4 Shift C lens
Mamiya Sekor 645 80mm F4 Macro C lens
Mamiya Sekor 645 150mm F3.5 C

Best

T

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Beware of the non-AF lenses on the Phase/Mamiya AFD III. In my case, the stop down metering does not work. (I have the 80 mm f1.9 and the 200 mm f2.8 non-AF lenses.) See page 88 of the camera's manual, which says they won't. Focussing is fine but you'll need to work with an external meter.

Having said all that, Jack has reported that his non AF fisheye works fine...go figure!

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim not sure i would waste my money. I know there cheap but not sure how they really perform. You do need lenses that match the output of that 39 mpx sensor and not sure these will make you happy.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Chaps!

I find that I'm generally working on a tripod and with a release anyways so loss of metering (I have my trusty Sekonic) and AF seems worth if for the bargain price of the 135mm 3.5 which I have on bid at eBay at 40 quid. I'll be ready for some compromise on IQ here since its not a focal length I'll use often, but if I can get it at this price it has to be worth trying... I hope!

Tim

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Some of the older lenses are very sharp. The 200 f2.8 is an APO lens and is marginally sharper than the 210 mm f4 AF, which I also have.

The 80 mm f1.9 is not particularly stellar but it is wide and I use it for star trails and auroras. (No pun intended.)

Otherwise I agree with Guy - frankly, the lenses that one really ought to use with the P45+ are the new "D" lenses - the 28, the 75-150, the 120 macro and the new 150.

Best of luck,
Bill

Paratom

I think you can get used Mamiya AF lenses for quite good prices so I am not sure if it is worth to save very little money and to go MF lenses.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think you can get used Mamiya AF lenses for quite good prices so I am not sure if it is worth to save very little money and to go MF lenses.
It's just that some of these lenses are almost free - like, less than $100!

Surely they must be worth trying?

Paratom

Well , if you dont mind stopping down manually after metering, why not give it a try and see if you like them.
I also still own 3 manual lenses but didnt like the manual handling of the f-stop.
I just think if one spends a lot of money for a back why would you make compromises with lenses (here probably handling and optically) for a couple of hundreds €/$ ?
Cheers,tom

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Personally I would rather see you spend the 400 or 500 dollars and get a lens that actually is good the 55mm AF 2.8

Dale Allyn

Some folks like the 80mm f/1.9 as a cheap and fun lens. I passed on one on eBay that closed at $142 and have wondered if I'd have fun with it too.

That said, the 45mm AF sells for relatively little money used, as does the 55mm AF as mentioned by Guy and Bill. Both are excellent lenses. I also bought a 210 ULD for quite cheap and I'm really enjoying it too. None of these are as cheap as Tim is mentioning, and I see no problem with experimenting (of course), but one of the appealing aspects of the Mamiya system for me is the opportunity to buy very good glass for quite modest prices. It seems that the older the lens series the less exciting the optics are in the Mamiya line. Coatings have been improved, etc. with each new series.

With patience, the 45mm AF and 55mm AF can be had for less than $500 (quite a bit less) as can the 210 ULD. Of course the 150mm f/3.5 hovers around $350ish and is a must for the money IMO.

Dale Allyn

Thanks, Guy. I often forget about KEH. They've been a bit higher on the AF lenses than what a patient buyer can find on eBay, but they are reliable and consistent. For that 80mm f/1.9 they seem to be a good resource. I'd rather buy from them than trying to get lucky on eBay for something in this price range. I'll keep it in mind, but I'm really quite content with just "wondering if I'd have fun with it" for now. ;)

New hard drives arrive tomorrow, and I really need a new Mac Pro. Wish list is long and money is tight. :thumbdown: