The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

USB 3 - Compact Card reader resource?

jerryreed

Use my MacBook Pro retina display laptop To input files that I made in capture one pro. Does anyone know of a resource for a USB three compliant CompactFlash card reader.

Jerry Reed

I will add a recommendation for that card reader. It is about as small as possible (closes down when not in use) and works well.

Dan Ortego

I really like the build quality of the Hoodman with its built-in dust flap for the CF card. Haven’t used the SD slot yet. It cost a bit more but its lot more sturdy than the others I've used.

• 5Gbps Transfer Rate
• "Pin Guard"
• RAW STEEL
• USB 3.0
• USB 2.0 Backward Compatible
• CF/SD/SDHC/SDXC/UHS-1 Compatible

hoodman usb| B&H Photo Video

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Jerry, your IQ should have come with the highly recommended Lexar USB3 CF Card reader. I'd check the kit your dealer delivered it in again, and if you don't see it contact your dealer ASAP.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are using the Lexar USB 3.0 Dual Slot cards you need to be aware that there is a firmware update available from Lexar.

I have several of these readers that I've bought over the last year (I keep one in each bag) and recently I was having horrible problems with SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UDMA 6 cards on my MacBook Pro. Basically the card would read and then unmount/remount itself and bring down Capture One in the process. I thought that I had a corrupted card but then I tried another and the same thing was occurring. I put the cards in to my express/34 card reader and they read perfectly. I then decided that the cards were obviously ok and so tried a more recent Lexar reader and that one read the cards just fine!

Anyway, upon further investigation of the readers it turns out that I had rev B & rev C readers (it's on the back). The rev C readers worked but the B's didn't. That's when I did some more research and determined that Lexar have a firmware upgrade for these readers for UDMA 7 support which also fixes my UDMA 6 card problem.

Heck, I didn't even realize that a USB 3 card reader even HAD firmware in it ... :rolleyes::facesmack:

Anyway, go here:
Downloads | Lexar

Stefan Steib

I can recommend the following really cheap but reliable working card reader

Transcend All-in-1 Multi USB 3.0 Card reader SDHC/SDXC/MSXC

see Ebay goes for around 15 € here in Germany

I´m using it with my Caldigit PCI EXpress USB3.0 adapter and this is amazing fast. The other device that runs of it is my daily backup with timemachine on 3 changing 2TB drives and the average backup time has gone down around 80 % from what it was with USB2

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

I have a Sandisk All-In-One USB 3 reader. It works very well. Much quicker for transferring files from my H4D-50 than the Firewire 800 connection via an Express Card slot with an adapter on my laptop. Recommended. ;)