The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One flash for Phamiya III and Leica M8

tashley

Subscriber Member
I know I'm not the only guy around here shooting with an M8 and a Phamiya 645III so I guess someone else has already worked this one out!

As far as I can see, the Metz 45CL4 will work with both cameras with the following adaptors:

For the Leica M8: an SCA 3502
For the Phase One 645III: a 3000c AND an SCA 3952

If anyone can verify that this lot works I'd be grateful ( I already have the SF24d for the M8 but it's not very flexible!). If anyone has any cheaper suggestions I'd be even more grateful!

Best

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the Metz 54 3 I believe and the SCA 3952 for the Phase Body which has TTL
You can use the same flash for the M8 but a different module for TTL otherwise i think you could use any module on A mode.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
The Metz is a great flash. I still use one of them myself I bought several years ago. But as far as TTL goes, why? TTL never seems to work all that well for me, and certainly does not give predictable, consistent results. Which is what you want out of a flash, right? So to me, it is a useless "feature" that just gets in my way. I am still a big fan of my Sekonic light meter. Pop off a test, and another test frame, and you should be good to go, as well as consistent.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto the Metz 54MZ3. I have two of them I like them o much ;) I use the Metz on the M8 in auto mode, just simpler for when using the M8 the way I use it...

tashley

Subscriber Member
I hardly ever use flash since I greatly prefer available light and on the rare occasions that I've tried it's either worked pretty well (Canon, Pentax or P&S) or rather badly and unpredictably (M8) so I am not wedded to TTL. However, I know so little about it that I'm not even sure what the implications are of abandoning TTL are for using one flash on M8 and Phamiya? For example does that mean that any flash with an Auto mode and X contact will be safe and effective on both? Does one then have to set F stop manually on the Flash?

Generally this will be for just a touch of fill on the Phamiya and for slightly more (e.g. the occasional evening event) on the M8.2

Naturally with two fairly expensive bits of kit I don't want anything that might fry their electrics!

t

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim, that was my point about using the Metz in AUTO mode on the M8 --- IMO the M8 TTL is not all that great to begin with. I use flash so rarely on the M8 that the 54's auto mode is more than adequate, and IMO actually better than TTL for most of the things I shoot with the M8.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Tim, that was my point about using the Metz in AUTO mode on the M8 --- IMO the M8 TTL is not all that great to begin with. I use flash so rarely on the M8 that the 54's auto mode is more than adequate, and IMO actually better than TTL for most of the things I shoot with the M8.
Yea, what Jack said! I'd echo this completely in my own experience also. :thumbs:

Paratom

Could one use a Nikon sb-800 on the AFDII for TTL?
I only can say that the SB800 works very well in A mode on the Mamiya ZD and the Leica M8.
Since I tried the Sb800 in A-mode on the Leica I havent used the Leica originla TTL-flash anymore.