The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Sensor "Centerfold" correction

Scott Tansey

Hello Rob,

Yes the Leica S and S2 can suffer the "Centerfold" problem. I had to replace a sensor on my S2P. One way to spot the problem is to convert an image to black and white. It will pop up when you thought the dng image did not have a problem.

Scott

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No Phase One back should show centerfold when:
- using a supported lens (see official lens list or DT's unofficial but more up to date in-house list)
- using reasonable photographic adjustments (e.g. [+30 contrast & +20 saturation] is fine, but [+50 contrast & +50 saturation & +strong_curve] is not)
- a proper LCC is created and applied

Any Phase back that shows a centerfold or other artifacts under the above circumstances would be eligible for warranty repair (assuming it's under warranty), including a loaner during the repair if a trip to Denmark is required (assuming the customer opted for the Value Added warranty).

I've seen very little change in calibration that seems like a cumulative/consistent "aging" effect. But I have seen backs spontaneously develop a calibration issue when there was no such issue weeks/months before.

In general we recommend Rodenstock over Schneider wides in order to reduce potential headaches like this. With "limited" support Schneiders (e.g. 35XL) it's hard to define for a customer exactly what amount of movement will be acceptable as it can depend on aperture, ISO/exposure-length, and orientation of the sensor.

AreBee

Scott, Doug,

Thanks very much for the information.

Over the previous two days I have scoured the GetDPI forum for information in order to educate myself about DMF, in particular tech cams. I'll be honest, when I:

1. Read a thread that was started by owners who, upon receiving their then new-to-the-market IQ180 discovered severe lens cast with their Schneider lenses, or;

2. First read this thread discussing the centrefold effect...

...it made me extremely nervous, to the extent that I would say I was fairly 'spooked' by the threads in question.

However, having read through (1) above in its entirety it is clear that, at least with Rodenstock wideangle lenses, the issue of lens cast can be addressed. In addition, Capture One v7 apparently significantly improved upon LCC processing compared to its v6 predecessor that existed at the time the IQ180 was released. Moreover, one has only to see the clean, white image that results after an LCC has been processed, shown in this thread, to obtain visual proof that lens cast can (IQ160 was used in that test) be addressed...at least when a lens is unshifted.

etrump

Centerfold and lens cast are two different issues. Lens cast is a normal issue with wide angle lens on tech cameras. Centerfold issues are caused by calibration differences in the wafers of large sensors showing up as a straight line or other anomalies at the edges where two wafers meet.

Pemihan

Doug, what about Leaf backs?

Peter

No Phase One back should show centerfold when:
- using a supported lens (see official lens list or DT's unofficial but more up to date in-house list)
- using reasonable photographic adjustments (e.g. [+30 contrast & +20 saturation] is fine, but [+50 contrast & +50 saturation & +strong_curve] is not)
- a proper LCC is created and applied

Any Phase back that shows a centerfold or other artifacts under the above circumstances would be eligible for warranty repair (assuming it's under warranty), including a loaner during the repair if a trip to Denmark is required (assuming the customer opted for the Value Added warranty).