The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Cube - versions

Ed Hurst

Hello all,

After getting some superb advice and views from many of you, I have a Cube on order. I would like to be sure that the one I receive is the latest model, as I know it has been revised (incorporating some refinements). Does anyone here know the way(s) to tell the versions apart? A model number that differentiates would be great, as would some physical characteristic that is unmistakable.

Many thanks in advance!

Ed

kdphotography

Hi Ed,

I didn't know that there were so many different versions of the Cube, unless you're talking about similar offerings from my Korean cousins or Linhof Micro.

I think my version is the "latest" anniversary edition. I know because it came in a nice corrugated cardboard box (in natural cardboard color) versus the coach leather case that no one knows what the hell to do with but still likes because new leather smells so nice and is a good compromise since we've spent all our money in Dante's inferno instead of leather seats in fancy sports cars.

My version also came with a single sheet of instructions that looked like it had been copied over hundreds of times, having excess toner shadows all over it. Really quite worthless, having experienced the Cube "adjustment knob explosion" anyway. (all tongue in cheek poking fun at Arca Swiss---thank god their products are superb) It's worthwhile to search out Rod Klukas' directions and guidance as he really has done a superb job for Arca Swiss. (particularly important how-to instructions/tips on clamp adjustment to avoid the quite upsetting mini explosion of parts).

I think the only characteristic on newer Cubes is larger knob(s) than older iterations.

Congratulations---I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Cube. I just got back from Oregon and the Cube just makes leveling so stupid easy. And in 17 degree F weather, (think shivering hands) the Cube is well-worth it over mere mortal leveling bases.

Ken :)

fotophil

It is my understanding that Arca has started to use a stronger thread sealant for the attachment of the clamp assembly on both the Cube and the D4. I had much more trouble removing the Arca Clamp from my new (6 months old) D4 than I did on my old (2 1/2 year) Cube. I had to use lots of heat from an industrial air heater gun to remove the D4 Clamp. I used very wet rags wrapped around the D4 to prevent damage - it wasn't fun. In contrast, I removed the clamp on the cube with moderate force and no heat. It appears that Arca Swiss does not want users to change the clamp assembly.

Paul2660

Does anyone use the cube with a RRS L bracket, with either a Canon or Nikon camera? I know from experience with the rm3di, that the width of the Arca foot is a bit narrower. When you try to secure the rm3di in a BH55 with the quick release clamp, you can get a tight fit and have to move to the screw type clamp which works fine. I have no concerns that the cube would work on a rm3di, Arca to Acra. but:

I noticed on the BH site the cube has a quick release clamp, my question is it wide enough to take the RRS L brackets or is it only going to work on true Arca designed mounts.

Paul Caldwell

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use a cube with an RRS L-bracket on a Canon 1DsII. The Arca clamp is adjustable and has no problem fitting the RRS bracket.

Be careful while adjusting the clamp not to loosen it too far. There are many posts about searching in the weeds for small springs and washers.

Best,

Matt

kdphotography

I also use the RRS L bracket (Canon 1 Ds Mark III), RRS MPR pano rail, and RRS plate on my Cambo WRS with the Cube with no problem.

Follow Rod Klukas' instructions at post #77 on this GetDPI thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/29655-d4-vs-cube-2.html

If you adjust the clamp, the Cube works fine, and consequently I disagree with the Digilloyd review above with regard to the compatibility of RRS plates/brackets with the Cube. If using the AS clamp lock, you'll want some sort of consistency in the plates you do use, e.g., all RRS, (same size) so as to avoid having to constantly readjust the clamp to fit well.

ken

fotophil

The link to the diglloyd site above explains the situation that I experienced with my Cube and D4 clamp removal. For my work, the RRS screw clamps are much more suitable in the field than either the lever or screw Arca Clamp.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I noticed on the BH site the cube has a quick release clamp, my question is it wide enough to take the RRS L brackets or is it only going to work on true Arca designed mounts.

Paul Caldwell
Paul,

I use only RRS plates with the Cube. Once adjusted correctly the Arca QR clamp works perfectly with every RRS component I have which covers brackets for the DF, Alpa's, Nikon, Fuji, Leica and even my Rollei & Fuji G617.

What I wouldn't do is mix & match plates, regardless of who says that they are Arca Swiss compatible. As it happens all of my other plates from Kirk and Acratech have also worked with the Cube clamp without any problems, although they don't play well with the RRS QR clamps that I have on my ball heads.

I think that once you get to mix & match then things get hairy and personally not worth the risk. I can understand why some folks stick with just ugly bolt on Arca plates if only for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Thanks to all who answered my first question on the RRS plates, one other one.

As the Arca foot on the rm3di, is a bit narrower than the width of a RRS plate (I base this on my first post where I had to switch off from the RRS quick release clamp to screw clamp to use my rm3di on the BH55), if you adjust the cube quick release clamp to work with a RRS plate, or L bracket, will it still have enough tension when you use a rm3di with the Acra foot? or will you have to re-adjust the clamp. I need to be able to go back and forth, without having to tweak the clamp if at all possible as I tend to have both types of mounts in the field at once.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

kdphotography

I think you're asking for trouble, Paul, by using mounts/plates with slightly different specifications. I think it's best to simply use one type/size plate---or alternatively, adopt the screw type clamp (as opposed to the lever). I wouldn't want any wiggle room left when locking down that plate. Instability at best, or risk your camera rig falling off the tripod head at worse. I think it would be a total pita to adjust the cube lever clamp every time you use a different plate, especially in the field.

Use the same plates/mount type or use the screw type clamp. I know many simply don't like the screw type clamp, but in practice it doesn't take but a second more to use over the lever, and when you set that screw clamp tight, you know it's locked down. I'm still using the original Cube lever clamp and only because I'm too lazy to transition to a RRS screw type lamp, and it works just fine. Yeah, I'm one of those weird birds that actually likes the RRS screw type clamp over the faster RRS lever clamp....

Ed Hurst

Thank you all very much again. I picked up my Cube today - I think it is the latest model... So far, my experimental fiddling has suggested I am going to LOVE it :)

Paul2660

Ken,

Thanks for the info. My ideal solution would be to have the RRS screw plate mount installed on the Cube. But this seems to be a bit harder now as Arca is using a stronger glue on the threads now.

I normally carry one extra camera with me when I carry the tech camera and would want to be able to interchange the 35mm and rm3di. The rm3di has a custom foot (Acra) which mounts it to the tripod. that I don't think can be replaced by a RRS type mount and the Arca foot is just a bit narrower than the RRS plates or L brackets. But I need to check on other options for this.

Paul Caldwell

stngoldberg

Ken,

Thanks for the info. My ideal solution would be to have the RRS screw plate mount installed on the Cube. But this seems to be a bit harder now as Arca is using a stronger glue on the threads now.

I normally carry one extra camera with me when I carry the tech camera and would want to be able to interchange the 35mm and rm3di. The rm3di has a custom foot (Acra) which mounts it to the tripod. that I don't think can be replaced by a RRS type mount and the Arca foot is just a bit narrower than the RRS plates or L brackets. But I need to check on other options for this.

Paul Caldwell
I recently replaced the Arca clamp on my Cube with the RRS screw plate without any difficulty.
Stanley

kdphotography

Stanley,

I think I should be able to convert to a RRS screw clamp easily too (my Cube is a few years old), but it appears new iterations of the Cube are now using a more permanent "loc-tite" seal, so although not impossible, it would make it more difficult to remove/replace the plate, requiring the use of a heat gun to loosen/break the loc-tite seal. I believe there is a heat sink compound (home depot) that may help when used with a heat gun.

I think the value of my older Cube just went up. :ROTFL:

ken

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have recently replaced the flip-lock to the new version of the RRS B2 AS II clamp with M6 screw B2 AS II clamp with M6 screw - B2-AS-II-M6 - Kit Configuration Page
It now works fine with BOTH RRS and Arca plates.
The new version of the RRS clamp provides enough throw to capture securely the slightly smaller Arca plates but will not handle the tiny Arca slidefix plate.
The M6 screw that comes with the RRS clamp is longer than the Arca screw but there is adequate clearance in the cube to accept it nicely. This is not the case with the P0 head and perhaps others.
The main reasons that I went to change the clamp was that the Arca adjustment screw would work its way loose and need adjustment from time to time and 2) I don't have an RRS size plate fir the Rm3di.
-bob

LonnaTucker

Ken,

Paul Caldwell
Hi Paul,

I use a D800, D3x, Contax 645 and Rm3di on Arca-Swiss D4 and P0 tripod heads with their Classic screw top quick releases.

I have an RRS L plate on the D3x & Contax 645 and Arca-Swiss L-bracket on the D800. The mix of Arca-Swiss and RRS components works great with the use of the Arca-Swiss screw top quick release.

I've purchased and sold RRS L-brackets every time I upgraded my Nikon bodies (3 times) which was money down the drain.

With your Cube's flip-lock release, I recommend trying the L-bracket from Arca-Swiss for your DSLR. They have a modular system that allows the L-bracket to work with additional (L-bracket) base mounting plates for any additional camera you may put to use. Buy it once and never buy another L-bracket again.